The Student Room Group

Isaac Physics 'Algebraic Manipulation 5.3'

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/manipulation_5_3?board=25dcbcd5-47cd-4369-8379-f34a43ad7910

(Images attached below).

I'm confused on where my error is. Can anyone help spot it for me please? I feel like I got decently close as it seemed all fine however I'm still left with a (cosTheta)^2 term at the end.

DISCLAIMER: I know my workings drag out for way longer than they need to, however I'm trying not to rush through and make a stupid mistake somewhere within my workings because of it (but it seems even when I work through it slower I still make mistakes).:s-smilie:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by domm1
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/manipulation_5_3?board=25dcbcd5-47cd-4369-8379-f34a43ad7910

(Images attached below).

I'm confused on where my error is. Can anyone help spot it for me please? I feel like I got decently close as it seemed all fine however I'm still left with a (cosTheta)^2 term at the end.

DISCLAIMER: I know my workings drag out for way longer than they need to, however I'm trying not to rush through and make a stupid mistake somewhere within my workings because of it (but it seems even when I work through it slower I still make mistakes).:s-smilie:

22E08F66-F28C-473B-8FC1-9BCBE741FFE0.jpeg4166D99D-F7A8-47C1-9AF3-BAAB26175594.jpegDC6E3720-013A-4179-A79D-593A7C004498.jpeg54407A29-64D3-4962-8F95-03D58D1D067B.jpeg
Reply 2
Err yes. That does go on ...
You should eliminate t at the start (sub the t<->x expression directly into y) to get
y = Ax + Bx^2
For suitable expressions A and B. Then use a trig identity for 1/cos^2 = sec^2 <-> tan^2.
It should be ~5 or 6 lines.

Partially checking your answer now ...
There shouldn't be a 1/2 in the first expression in the answer.
The second term is 1/2 not 1/4.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Err yes. That does go on ...
You should eliminate t at the start (sub the t<->x expression directly into y) to get
y = Ax + Bx^2
For suitable expressions A and B. Then use a trig identity for 1/cos^2 = sec^2 <-> tan^2.
It should be ~5 or 6 lines.

Partially checking your answer now ...
There shouldn't be a 1/2 in the first expression in the answer.

Well, at least I know why it does now. We haven't learnt reciprocal trig functions (I think that's what they're called) yet, so no wonder it kept going on and on...:frown:

I had no idea you had to use them lmao.
Reply 4
Original post by domm1
Well, at least I know why it does now. We haven't learnt reciprocal trig functions (I think that's what they're called) yet, so no wonder it kept going on and on...:frown:

I had no idea you had to use them lmao.

I think it went on and on because you equated t at the start, rather than subbing the linear x-t relationship into y(t) to give you y(x) instead.

Pythagoras gives
cos^2 + sin^2 = 1
Divide by cos^2
1 + tan^2 = 1/cos^2
You don't need to know about sec. Just use this identity at the end, as the normal parabolic trajectory is given in terms of sec^2, so I guess they didn't want you copying the usual answer.
(edited 3 years ago)
Think that's one of the most epic pieces of algebra I've seen at A-level.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
I think it went on and on because you equated t at the start, rather than subbing the linear x-t relationship into y(t) to give you y(x) instead.

Pythagoras gives
cos^2 + sin^2 = 1
Divide by cos^2
1 + tan^2 = 1/cos^2
You don't need to know about sec. Just use this identity at the end, as the normal parabolic trajectory is given in terms of sec^2, so I guess they didn't want you copying the usual answer.

Now I think about it, that was definitely the smarter thing to do.:redface:

So for my final part are you saying I can take a factor of (gx^2)/(4v^2) out of the last fraction to give 1/(cosTheta)^2 within the brackets and then substitute in 1+tan^2 for that to get the correct answer? Or was there an algebraic mistake earlier on that has given me the incorrect expression?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ghostwalker
Think that's one of the most epic pieces of algebra I've seen at A-level.

Thanks!:smile: I was hoping it'd come to an end soon about a quarter of the way through but it just kept getting worse and worse!
Reply 8
Original post by domm1
So for my final part are you saying I can take a factor of (gx^2)/(4v^2) out of the last fraction to give 1/(cosTheta)^2 within the brackets and then substitute in 1+tan^2 for that to get the correct answer? Or was there an algebraic mistake earlier on that has given me the incorrect expression?

The 4 divisor is 2 ( previous post). You have
gx^2/(2v^2cos^2) = (gx^2/(2v^2))*(1/cos^2) = (gx^2/(2v^2))*...

While I'd agree with the epic / ghostwalkers assessment, Id redo it the elegant way in 5-6 lines. You'd sort out the 1/2 factor problem and learn how to make life easier in future.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
The 4 divisor is 2 ( previous post). You have
gx^2/(2v^2cos^2) = (gx^2/(2v^2))*(1/cos^2) = (gx^2/(2v^2))*...

While I'd agree with the epic / ghostwalkers assessment, Id redo it the elegant way in 5-6 lines. You'd sort out the 1/2 factor problem and learn how to make life easier in future.

I am going to attempt the more efficient method afterwards for your reason mentioned above, however I still can't seem to get the correct answer. I changed the '4v^2(cosTheta)^2' to '2v^2(cosTheta)^2', and took the factor outside, changed the term inside the bracket into 1+(tanTheta)^2, however this is still not correct?

y = (xtan)/2 - (gx^2)/(2v^2)*(1+tan^2), where have I gone wrong?
Original post by domm1
I am going to attempt the more efficient method afterwards for your reason mentioned above, however I still can't seem to get the correct answer. I changed the '4v^2(cosTheta)^2' to '2v^2(cosTheta)^2', and took the factor outside, changed the term inside the bracket into 1+(tanTheta)^2, however this is still not correct?

y = (xtan)/2 - (gx^2)/(2v^2)*(1+tan^2) where have I gone wrong?

Get rid of the /2 in the first term (#3).
It also helps reduce errors to not split the numerator so
gx^2(1+tan^2)/(2v^2)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
Get rid of the /2 in the first term (#3).
It also helps reduce errors to not split the numerator so
gx^2(1+tan^2)/(2v^2)

Thank you I got it now, I'll have a go at the more efficient route now.
Original post by domm1
Thank you I got it now, I'll have a go at the more efficient route now.

Maybe post it? If you've come across the siklos/step book, one thing he recommends at the start is putting your pen down and thinking about each potential strategy working 2-3 lines ahead in your head. Which one will give an elegant solution in a few lines. Forget about irrelevant terms as necessary

I've not looked to see where the extra 1/2 came from, but tbh, I was surprised you made as few errors.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest