lilly422
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi! I have an offer for adult nursing at Oxford Brookes University, but now having doubts whether I should do child nursing instead~ Is there a posibility that i can convert to child nursing at the same University? Would I have to undergo the same process~interview??

Thanks in advance~just really confused
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lilly422)
Hi! I have an offer for adult nursing at Oxford Brookes University, but now having doubts whether I should do child nursing instead~ Is there a posibility that i can convert to child nursing at the same University? Would I have to undergo the same process~interview??

Emily_B
Any further advice on this that you can give her xx

In my opinion you should stick to your original decision as you not gaunantee a place on children nursing whereas you already got a offer for adult nursing ok,
You'll probably have to go through similar process and have the stressful wait to see if you get a interview never mind a offer and if you got rejected for children nursing then what would you do then !!!

If I was in your shoes right now I would jump with this offer like as I wanted to always do my adult nursing first and then go and do the top-up for midwifing and do that job x but doing midwifing it saved me doing more time at university.

You will still be able to work as a nurse on a children ward but not like those who trained in children nursing.
Both adult and children nursing start of together and then eventually split into own way and go and do the necessary training and placements.
Last edited by Tracey_W; 5 months ago
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

So there's 2 things I have to add to what Tracey_W has suggested.
1) ask the university if you can change course with them from adult to child
2) see how first year goes and change for 2nd & 3rd. First year is a common foundation year (as in the same for adult/child/MH/LD where the only difference may be that you get field specific placements all the way through) and then apply to change to child nursing before the end of 1st year where you just carry on with your training.

What is it in particular that suddenly make you want to do child nursing over adult?
lilly422
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thankyou. This really helps Im just nervous that i wont be able to communicate well with adults and do well in my placements
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thankyou. This really helps Im just nervous that i wont be able to communicate well with adults and do well in my placements
Nothing to be nervous about as you'll be ok once you start any placements and the important thing is to ask your mentor / supervisor questions if unsure of stuff, plus take notes of things you doing throughout your shift as keep notepad & pens in pockets to allow you to do this ok.

Communication is key in all nursing settings regardless whether its adult/children/midwifing/mental health or others as you still must talk to your patients & families members as a nurse.

Every placement on every course is different from one another and you will get brilliant ones & some not so brilliant but its part of nursing.

Also why change of mind as I said before stick to the offer ok.
You welcome.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads