The Student Room Group

Virus on my phone?? Please help!!

I think I got a virus on my phone? I got a notification saying I got 27 viruses from visiting an "adult site" (which I didn't, I was just looking for one of those frequency hearing tests) but I'm not sure if it came from my phone or a dodgy website itself? It came up with one of those "you're a one in a million winner" type ads before the notification came up, but I didn't click on anything in between. I have no idea what to do, I'm kind of freaking out right now. Please help!
Original post by Rory John
I think I got a virus on my phone? I got a notification saying I got 27 viruses from visiting an "adult site" (which I didn't, I was just looking for one of those frequency hearing tests) but I'm not sure if it came from my phone or a dodgy website itself? It came up with one of those "you're a one in a million winner" type ads before the notification came up, but I didn't click on anything in between. I have no idea what to do, I'm kind of freaking out right now. Please help!

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/14415-you-ve-made-the-5-billionth-search-pop-up-scam
Reply 2
I've now been told this is a scam to encourage users further onto questionable websites by telling them it will help get their data back, but is harmless as long as you didn't go any further than that notification. Can anyone confirm? It was an official looking iPhone alert that came up before I had left the tab and cleared my history, and it said I had 27 viruses from visiting an adult site and said something like I should click below to make my phone safe again. Which does sound like a scam now that I'm thinking about it, I just majorly panicked at first...
Original post by Rory John
I've now been told this is a scam to encourage users further onto questionable websites by telling them it will help get their data back, but is harmless as long as you didn't go any further than that notification. Can anyone confirm? It was an official looking iPhone alert that came up before I had left the tab and cleared my history, and it said I had 27 viruses from visiting an adult site and said something like I should click below to make my phone safe again. Which does sound like a scam now that I'm thinking about it, I just majorly panicked at first...

It does sound like a phishing scam. Apple will not give you a sh*try alert and direct you to a non-Apple website if your phone is compromised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending