Ethnicity Watch

This discussion is closed.
wanderlusted
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anglo-Nigerian, with perhaps a touch of Oriental blood generations ago, and almost American.
tommyknockers
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How can you define what race an american is when america is made up of many races

Didn't you do history !

Unless you mean native american indian
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Aussie, Spanish, South African, British
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1/2 English 3/8 French 1/8 Luxembourgish
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tommyknockers)
cross breading. Look at people like sean paul, sophie ellis bextor even bruce lee had german blood.
"Cross breeding"... :rolleyes:

Is SEB mixed race?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
50% n.irish 50% scottish

magic combination!
mc_watson87
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
50% n.irish 50% scottish

magic combination!
I completly agree!
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
K, I don't really believe in different 'ethnic groups' :rolleyes: (it's human variation guys lol) persay, but for a bit of fun and giggles, why not:

Well supposedly I'm Anglo-Indian/Italian *apparently*

Thus nationality wise I'm an Aussie, but my dad's 50% Polish/English and 50% Indian, then my mum's ancestors originally come from Southern Europe. I end up looking latin I guess, but I'm not really

Anyway we all rock here on :tsr:

DB_x
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
100% indian. possibly 25% tamil and 75% andhra, but not totally sure. i consider myself an honorary brit though, been here all my life
Ditto, with 75% Tamil and 25% Kerala. I was born here, and my parents moved here about 25 years ago, but I have spent the majority of my life in Saudi Arabia.

EDIT: Not majority, but a large part. 6.5 years in the UK, 7.5 in Saudi, and 5 years in India (if that adds up....it IS 2:45am...)
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm 100% human....
tommyknockers
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
"Cross breeding"... :rolleyes:

Is SEB mixed race?
Sorry, next time i'll spell it correctly. Did it affect my grades?

Yea, SEB has oriental blood in her afaik.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tommyknockers)
Sorry, next time i'll spell it correctly. Did it affect my grades?

Yea, SEB has oriental blood in her afaik.
Oh no I wasn't picking at your spelling, but your choice of words...In my opinon it sounds kind of as if you're implying races are like different breeds of human...N/m...I'm a bit over-sensitive, ignore me.

Oh - never knew that about SEB...
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm confused about mine! English, I think.

Though apparently I'm 1/6 Irish and 1/6 Spanish in that my great (x6) Grandmother was Irish and my great (x6) Grandfather was Spanish. I like that
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by red665)
I'm confused about mine! English, I think.

Though apparently I'm 1/6 Irish and 1/6 Spanish in that my great (x6) Grandmother was Irish and my great (x6) Grandfather was Spanish. I like that
I think that makes you 1/256 Irish and 1/256 Spanish (any mathmos out there to check this?)
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
I think that makes you 1/256 Irish and 1/256 Spanish (any mathmos out there to check this?)
You're right. If one parent is of a certain ethnicity, that makes you 1/2 that ethnicity. If it's a grandparent, it's 1/4. If it's a great grandparent it's 1/8. So every time you add a "great", you multiply the fraction by 1/2.
So that makes that person 1/(2^8) = 1/256 Irish and 1/256 Spanish.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
50% n.irish 50% scottish

magic combination!
Does that make you Scotch-Irish?
In USA, they consider Scotch-Irish as an ethnic group.
But it might just mean Irish protestant, of Scottish origin. At the time of immigration, in the 18th and 19th centuries, these Irish protestants probably still had a very strong Scottish heritage. But then if your ancestors were Irish protestants of English or Welsh origin I'm not sure where you'd fit in.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
So despite the fact both of his parents would still have been born in England, and he himself would have still been born in England, he wouldn't be English at all?
Well that's when you just pay attention to "ethnicity". But you're right at pointing out the absurdity in all this. Chile is a relatively young country.
In Hispanic South American countries people distinguish themselves by how much Spanish or Native heritage they have. So even Chilean isn't more of an ethnic group than American is.

I think we all learn this in History or Geography at some point: the difference between nationality, citizenship and ethnicity.
In the UK, there's only one citizenship: British but to please certain regions, people are allowed to call themselves Scottish, Irish, English or Welsh but in censuses people are allowed to call themselves British.
Citizenship is totally political. You have a citizenship if you're the citizen of a political state.
Nationality is more cultural and definitely more ambiguous, especially here in the UK. Personally, being of mixed heritage I'd rather just say I'm British. I think that a lot of British people with foreign heritage end up calling themselves British. To me, English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh are terms that remind me of Nazi aryan ideology: you can only truly be of that nationality if your parents have that nationality and so on... If you're of Nigerian origin born in London, you consider yourself British, not English.
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
You're right. If one parent is of a certain ethnicity, that makes you 1/2 that ethnicity. If it's a grandparent, it's 1/4. If it's a great grandparent it's 1/8. So every time you add a "great", you multiply the fraction by 1/2.
So that makes that person 1/(2^8) = 1/256 Irish and 1/256 Spanish.
aaaah, thanks for that! I've never really known how that all works lol

Hmm, 1/256 Irish and 1/256 Spanish got it lol
Semanort
Report 14 years ago
100% Albanian
Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Irish
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise