The Student Room Group

International student wanting to study computer science

Hi! I'm an international student looking to study in UK. I have the following subjects in my 12th grade(equivalent to A levels ) :
Economics
Accountancy
Business Studies
Maths
English
I'm interested in studying Computer science. Although the universities I'm looking at don't require me to have physics, will not having it be a disadvantage? Should I even apply for cs or should I look at other courses related to my subjects??
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jamine2807
Hi! I'm an international student looking to study in UK. I have the following subjects in my 12th grade(equivalent to A levels ) :
Economics
Accountancy
Business Studies
Maths
English
I'm interested in studying Computer science. Although the universities I'm looking at don't require me to have physics, will not having it be a disadvantage? Should I even apply for cs or should I look at other courses related to my subjects??

Hey there.. im an international applicant for Msc CS and i recieved my offers... firstly if ur have a base of maths, ur good for being selected for CS, the undergrad coursework literally starts with looking at you with no prior knowledge...

for Masters, i have seen Unis offering a CS conversion course, Meaning a course for people to study CS who have no prior CS basics at school.. Maybe the same exists for undergraduate... try looking for those.. many great universities have those programs...

FYI
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/2021/eng/msc-computer-science-conversion/
Original post by jamine2807
Economics
Accountancy
Business Studies
Maths
English

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications

apply for the subject you have the greatest passion for, oh also for oxbridge (if you're applying there) the deadline is in 15th oct and you also have to give an entrance exam for it, for now max out your grades, prep for the entrance test and read about CS/the course you pick.

some other unis also require the MAT for applying for computing.I think some colleges in cambridge require you to take physics but I don't remember, you should be fine if you meet the stuff listed in the link I posted.
Reply 3
Original post by arshdixit893
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications

apply for the subject you have the greatest passion for, oh also for oxbridge (if you're applying there) the deadline is in 15th oct and you also have to give an entrance exam for it, for now max out your grades, prep for the entrance test and read about CS/the course you pick.

some other unis also require the MAT for applying for computing.I think some colleges in cambridge require you to take physics but I don't remember, you should be fine if you meet the stuff listed in the link I posted.

I won't be applying to Oxbridge anyway 😅. Thanks a lot for the info👍 I was just worried as in my country, universities generally don't offer Cs without physics chemistry and maths
Reply 4
Original post by Nawaz_101
Hey there.. im an international applicant for Msc CS and i recieved my offers... firstly if ur have a base of maths, ur good for being selected for CS, the undergrad coursework literally starts with looking at you with no prior knowledge...

for Masters, i have seen Unis offering a CS conversion course, Meaning a course for people to study CS who have no prior CS basics at school.. Maybe the same exists for undergraduate... try looking for those.. many great universities have those programs...

FYI
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/2021/eng/msc-computer-science-conversion/

Thank you so much for the info.
Congratulations on your offers and best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending