Isaac Physics 'Algebraic Manipulation 5.4'; does this make sense?

Watch
domm1
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/m...7-244d29d02aa0

I'm quite confused on this question. You have four variables (c, v, Theta, Gamma), with three equations, and you have to cancel it down into an expression that consists of only one of these variables. I've tried thinking of different ways of getting around the problem, however I feel like it must be a question that pieces together all at the last steps.

For instance, if you rearranged the two equations for Gamma and equated them equal to one another, that helps to cancel one variable, but you're still left with three and only one unused equation?

I expected it to be problem where you just find both Wx and Wy in terms of either c, v, or Theta and substituted them in without the need of long expansions for the equation for W, however I have a feeling that the only way you end up getting an answer in the correct form is through the long expansions in hopes of things cancelling? Am I correct in assuming this?
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by domm1)
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/m...7-244d29d02aa0

I expected it to be problem where you just find both Wx and Wy in terms of either c, v, or Theta and substituted them in without the need of long expansions for the equation for W, however I have a feeling that the only way you end up getting an answer in the correct form is through the long expansions in hopes of things cancelling? Am I correct in assuming this?
I wouldn't do any rearranging. Just work out w_x^2+w_y^2 expanding as necessary. Should take about 6+ lines; at least that's how long I took.
domm1
Rep:
(Original post by ghostwalker)
I wouldn't do any rearranging. Just work out w_x^2+w_y^2 expanding as necessary. Should take about 6+ lines; at least that's how long I took.
I've expanded it out but it doesn't seem to look as if it's going to simplify into an expression of just one term?

Would you be able to post your workings so I can see where I've gone wrong please?
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by domm1)
I've expanded it out but it doesn't seem to look as if it's going to simplify into an expression of just one term?

Would you be able to post your workings so I can see where I've gone wrong please?
Why don't you post *yours*? I can confirm it simplifies to a simple expression in one variable in a few lines.
domm1
Rep:
(Original post by DFranklin)
Why don't you post *yours*? I can confirm it simplifies to a simple expression in one variable in a few lines.
My reply was to ghostwalker, not you...

But thanks for your input.
ghostwalker
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by domm1)
My reply was to ghostwalker, not you...

But thanks for your input.
Anyone can reply.

My working isn't in a state to photograph, and I don't fancy typing out all the LaTex. As DFranklin said, post your working.
Jordan Inglis
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi- I don't suppose that you still know/have the answer to 5.4 do you?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jordan Inglis)
Hi- I don't suppose that you still know/have the answer to 5.4 do you?
Upload what you've tried / describe what problems youre having if you want some help/feedback.
Avogadro’s Con
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Not the original person who asked, but also very stuck:
I expanded Wx² and Wy², and added them together to get ((c cos θ - v)² (1 - ᵛ²⁄c²) (c² sin² θ) )/ (1 - (ᵛ ᶜᵒˢ θ)⁄c) [this isn't square rooted yet], and now I just really don't know where I'm meant to head! I've tried to expand but I still can't see what I can do to simplify further.
If you can give any pointers it'd be very much appreciated.

Note: typo - it should be ((c cos θ - v)² + (1 - ᵛ²⁄c²) (c² sin² θ) )/ (1 - (ᵛ ᶜᵒˢ θ)⁄c)²
Last edited by Avogadro’s Con; 1 week ago
ghostwalker
Report 1 week ago
Aside:

My old browser is now unable to access isaacphysics, so I can't assist here.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 1 week ago
Avogadro’s Con
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Ok no worries - the original question is here as a reference, if anybody'd like to see/help:
Name:  Untitled picture.png
Views: 13
Size:  30.0 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Avogadro’s Con)
I expanded Wx² and Wy², and added them together to get ((c cos θ - v)² (1 - ᵛ²⁄c²) (c² sin² θ) )/ (1 - (ᵛ ᶜᵒˢ θ)⁄c) [this isn't square rooted yet], and now I just really don't know where I'm meant to head! I've tried to expand but I still can't see what I can do to simplify further.
Dont think that expression is correct, but it may just be typos when you typed it.
It does help to upload a picture of your working if you want some help.
ghostwalker
Report 1 week ago
As pointed out, there are at best numerous typos there, though it looks to be on the right lines.

As a hint, you're aiming for the numerator being "something" times the denominator, so your basic trig identity is going to be involved.

If you get stuck, post your actual working - can never be sure whether something is a typo or not when you try and type maths in that fashion. LaTeX is preferred if you're unable to upload an image of your working - see here
Jail_break
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I was also stuck on this question for a few days :rolleyes: but I managed to solve it and get the answer - my advice is to write everything out literally, make sure you don't mix up the signs and it'll all cancel out nicely.
Last edited by Jail_break; 1 week ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jail_break)
I ...
Could you pls delete and have a read of the forum sticky about not posting solutions. Thanks
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4919248
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 week ago
Jail_break
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Oh, didn't know that it wasn't allowed lol. Anyway's I'll delete it.
Avogadro’s Con
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
Dont think that expression is correct, but it may just be typos when you typed it.
It does help to upload a picture of your working if you want some help.
Oh yes, you're right! Sorry about that - here are my workings up to that point:
[Note: Workings removed]

But now I'm just struggling to see how to simplify it further - the denominator has a cosine in it, but the numerator also includes that sine which is my problem at the moment.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Looks about right, but I'd multiply by 1 = c^2/c^2 to get normal expressions on the numerator and denominator. Then expand the numerator and use pythagorean identity on cos^2 and sin^2 to see if stuff simplifies.
Avogadro’s Con
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
Looks about right, but I'd multiply by 1 = c^2/c^2 to get normal expressions on the numerator and denominator. Then expand the numerator and use pythagorean identity on cos^2 and sin^2 to see if stuff simplifies.
Oh okay thank you! By the Pythagorean identities, does that require A Level knowledge, because we haven't been taught about them yet, or is it just basic GCSE things?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Oh okay thank you! By the Pythagorean identities, does that require A Level knowledge, because we haven't been taught about them yet, or is it just basic GCSE things?
cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) = 1
Have you come across that? Its really just pythagoras on a unit length hypotenuse.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads