The Student Room Group

Bristol or kings for biomedical science?

So i have offers from both for biomedical science and i’m not sure which to choose. I’ve done quite a bit of research and kings looks like it has better grad prospects and i like the whole common first year thing which lets you switch courses pretty easily after first year. Also kings ranks significantly higher in league tables. But London is so expensive and i’m going to have to support myself at university so i prefer bristol as a city and would rather live there for 3 years. Bristol also offers more financial help/scholarships i’m eligible for. Which should i choose?
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you need to factor in the "support yourself" bit because jobs are very difficult to some by, and still will be in September. Biomed is a pretty full on degree, and if you get a zero hours contract you may find it difficult to fit in working..
Reply 2
I'm also having trouble picking between King's or Warwick for Biomed.
Reply 3
Original post by Nautilus
I think you need to factor in the "support yourself" bit because jobs are very difficult to some by, and still will be in September. Biomed is a pretty full on degree, and if you get a zero hours contract you may find it difficult to fit in working..

I’m eligible for maximum maintenance loan but most of it will go to accommodation. Do you think £90 a week for food etc is enough to be comfortable in London?
Reply 4
Original post by hiiiii1
I'm also having trouble picking between King's or Warwick for Biomed.

I’ve applied to warwick too! but i’m not sure i’ll get an offer because i haven’t heard back yet. If i do get an offer though i’ll probably firm warwick and insure kings because i have a contextual ABC offer from kings.
Reply 5
Original post by mxx454
I’ve applied to warwick too! but i’m not sure i’ll get an offer because i haven’t heard back yet. If i do get an offer though i’ll probably firm warwick and insure kings because i have a contextual ABC offer from kings.

I haven't heard back either, but if I do then I'll have a lot of thinking to do. Warwick is ranked 3rd in terms of employability, but I've heard there's not much difference between the two. Plus, I live in London, so I'm not too sure if I'd like Warwick (having no open days certainly didn't help), but then I also hear that it's harder to make friends in London lol.
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by hiiiii1
I haven't heard back either, but if I do then I'll have a lot of thinking to do. Warwick is ranked 3rd in terms of employability, but I've heard there's not much difference between the two. Plus, I live in London, so I'm not too sure if I'd like Warwick (having no open days certainly didn't help), but then I also hear that it's harder to make friends in London lol.
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

I really like Warwick it has the best graduate opportunities of all the universities i’ve applied to plus they have a similar general first year to kings where you can switch courses easily. An advantage though is that Warwick offers a year in industry and an integrated masters and i’m thinking of switching to a year in industry. Plus the cheaper side of Warwick accommodation is almost half of kings’s (you live in London though so i suppose this doesn’t apply to you) and their bursary is pretty generous too. I think they might have a virtual open day you should check it out and i’ve heard a few people say the campus is quite pretty but it’s remote so a big difference to kings. Would you rather move out or stay in London?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Either way, I'm living in accommodation for first year (I'll decide what I want to do after).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending