How worthy is Fords warranty?

Watch
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Bought a focus last week and got offered 2 years cover for gearbox and engine and all that etc for £490, is it worth the paper its written on? to me it seems good to get because if an engine goes or gearbox you're talking thousands but i feel like there is always loop holes with these companies.

Anyone ever used fords warranty?
hotpud
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Of course it is worth the paper it is written on. The crux of the situation is that the chances of getting engine or gearbox trouble in two years is so low, you have to ask yourself if you are paying a premium for something you simply will never use. There is also likely to be lots of small print that state the car must be serviced by a recognised Ford maintainer at certain intervals and must not exceed a certain mileage, both of which might be prohibitive.

I would say it is more of a peace-of-mind gimmick than anything that will be of genuine worth.
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My Ford warranty is 3 years/60,000 miles. I had an electrical failure with the driver side window, where it would go up, then come back down and stay down. I just took it to a Ford dealership and they sorted it within the day with no charge. But obviously mine was new, so had manufactures warranty and covers everything except wear & tear and stuff related to mileage.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's not a Ford warranty, that's a third-party warranty from a Car Dealership.

How old is the car? How many miles on it? If it's less than ten years old then that's probably a wasted £500. You're better off putting that in your savings to help pay for any potential future repairs, but if no repairs then hey you still have your £500!

I'd look very, very carefully at the terms and conditions and what's *actually* covered. Remember - the house always wins. They're only offering you that warranty because they have calculated that they're more likely to keep your £500 than they are to have to pay out a couple of grand for a new engine/gearbox.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%