Sn+4Fe+2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to apply to study Medicine , taught in English in Western Europe. I am wondering if anyone has experience of application, studying and cost and would recommend any agencies?
I'm currently a Pharmacist and want to study Medicine as an Undergraduate.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sn+4Fe+2)
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to apply to study Medicine , taught in English in Western Europe. I am wondering if anyone has experience of application, studying and cost and would recommend any agencies?
TSR is a UK-based forum and the Medicine part of the forum is for UK medical admission queries.

I have moved your thread to the international study forum and hopefully you will get a better response here.
emmadreamer03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello everyone,

Hiya! Good luck with your application I'm only looking into unis in Eastern Europe so I can't say much about the West - but I'm using SME and would recommend them for anyone looking for an agency
TinyTim
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emmadreamer03)
Hiya! Good luck with your application I'm only looking into unis in Eastern Europe so I can't say much about the West - but I'm using SME and would recommend them for anyone looking for an agency
Do you know of any UK schools offering tuition for the IMAT exam?
When you say 'Eastern Europe' do you mean Romania?
Could you give me the full name of SME?
Haha so many questions!
Thanks
T.T.
emmadreamer03
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TinyTim)
Do you know of any UK schools offering tuition for the IMAT exam?
When you say 'Eastern Europe' do you mean Romania?
Could you give me the full name of SME?
Haha so many questions!
Thanks
T.T.
Hey! So I don't really know much about the IMAT but I'm sure there's lots of places they offer study help and all that. No by Eastern Europe I mean Bulgaria, I'm applying in Sofia, Plovdiv and Trakia. So SME stands for Study Medicine Europe - most people on here seem to use the shorter version because it's way easier to type haha. Basically they're the agency I went through, and they have plenty of different unis that they partner with. It's worth checking out
Sn+4Fe+2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi Emma,

Have you researched any of the Western Medical schools? I've looked into a few but am not sure which would be taught in English and would allow GMC registration in the UK. It seems the tution fees are >€11,000 per year, which would be difficult to finance.
emmadreamer03
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well actually that's exactly why I haven't been looking at unis in Western Europe - in Eastern Europe the tuition fees are much cheaper and there are definitely courses taught in English (and quite well it seems!). I've been looking into Bulgaria and their average tuition fees are about 6,000-7,000 depending on the uni which is way more affordable.
emmadreamer03
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tbh it's important to factor in the agency fee too. I'm applying through SME which is 4,000 pounds but it still ends up being way cheaper since that is only a one time fee. The other agencies are supposedly cheaper but I'm really happy with the service I'm getting so far
evajones023
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Emma,

Have you researched any of the Western Medical schools? I've looked into a few but am not sure which would be taught in English and would allow GMC registration in the UK. It seems the tution fees are >€11,000 per year, which would be difficult to finance.
Hey there! I'm at Sofia MU in Bulgaria and the yearly fees are 8000EUR so it is a bit cheaper than in western Europe. Like Emmadreamer03 I also went through SME so that could be another cost to account for It is GMC accredited (otherwise I wouldn't be here!) and everything is taught in English. hope that helps!
Nadiaziz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tbh it's important to factor in the agency fee too. I'm applying through SME which is 4,000 pounds but it still ends up being way cheaper since that is only a one time fee. The other agencies are supposedly cheaper but I'm really happy with the service I'm getting so far
Do they have clinical rotations in Manchester
evajones023
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Nadiaziz)
I don't know tbh...I heard that the hospitals stopped running the rotations because of Covid so hopefully but hopefully they're starting up again soon! I asked someone from SME and they said they are planning a webinar about it all so I'll have to wait for that for more info
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by evajones023)
Hey there! I'm at Sofia MU in Bulgaria and the yearly fees are 8000EUR so it is a bit cheaper than in western Europe. Like Emmadreamer03 I also went through SME so that could be another cost to account for It is GMC accredited (otherwise I wouldn't be here!) and everything is taught in English. hope that helps!
Quick question - the course is in English, but how do you talk to patients? Or nurses and other hospital staff - do all the doctors speak English?
evajones023
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Quick question - the course is in English, but how do you talk to patients? Or nurses and other hospital staff - do all the doctors speak English?
I'm only in first year so I'm still doing preclinicals I've heard from older students that usually the supervisor/hospital staff can translate for them so they can communicate with the patients. We do try to learn a bit of Bulgarian but that's not so easy unfortunately
emmadreamer03
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Nadiaziz)
Hey! I think evajones basically answered coz I know she went through SME too. I don't remember the exact locations but I think Essex was one of them?
ericapacheco
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hello, I’m a year 13 student at the moment and I’ve been looking at studying medicine in Eastern Europe. I’ve applied to some unis this year but due to not doing as well as I’d hoped in my UCAT, I didn’t apply to any that I originally wanted to. At the moment I’m thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying next year to unis in the UK or maybe going abroad instead. I’ve spoken to some agencies and the countries I’m most interested in are either Bulgaria or the Czech Republic, however I’m a bit hesitant at applying to Eastern Europe because I’ve never been there. Being from a Western European country (Portugal) myself, my main concern would be that the cultural barrier would be too big and I wouldn’t adapt. Does anyone know what it’s like there (either in Bulgaria or the Czech Republic) and what the reputation is like for the medical schools?
evajones023
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by ericapacheco)
Hello, I’m a year 13 student at the moment and I’ve been looking at studying medicine in Eastern Europe. I’ve applied to some unis this year but due to not doing as well as I’d hoped in my UCAT, I didn’t apply to any that I originally wanted to. At the moment I’m thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying next year to unis in the UK or maybe going abroad instead. I’ve spoken to some agencies and the countries I’m most interested in are either Bulgaria or the Czech Republic, however I’m a bit hesitant at applying to Eastern Europe because I’ve never been there. Being from a Western European country (Portugal) myself, my main concern would be that the cultural barrier would be too big and I wouldn’t adapt. Does anyone know what it’s like there (either in Bulgaria or the Czech Republic) and what the reputation is like for the medical schools?
Hey! I should start off by telling you not to worry too much about UK unis, I really stressed myself out about it at the time, but actually you have so many options ahead of you About Bulgaria I can help you, it seems like a really big cultural jump (which is understandable coz it is quite different) but at the same time within the uni you will find your own little sense of home. I have plenty of British friends here in Sofia and I know quite a few other people who are lovely and speak decent English. The city itself is beautiful and although the Eastern european countries and people can seem harsh at times, I feel safe and comfortable here! Plus the school itself has a good reputation.
evajones023
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by ericapacheco)
Oh and it's good to hear that you're speaking with a few agencies. It's so important to get as much info as possible before deciding to move across the world that's why having support is crucial for a decision like this! Let me know if you need any help (if you want a genuine review of SME I'm happy to help since I applied through them)
Nadiaziz
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Oh and it's good to hear that you're speaking with a few agencies. It's so important to get as much info as possible before deciding to move across the world that's why having support is crucial for a decision like this! Let me know if you need any help (if you want a genuine review of SME I'm happy to help since I applied through them)
How much do the charge you? And do I have to pay after your application is successful?
Nadiaziz
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
SME or MEDLINK which is better in terms of service and fees?
ericapacheco
Rep:
?
Report 50 minutes ago
Yes I would love to hear about the application process and SME if that’s okay. I’ve been really looking at applying to Sofia but I’m quite apprehensive because no one I know has applied to medicine abroad or so I really have no way of knowing what life’s like there or anything. What are the medical facilities like there and do you know if any Bulgarian medical schools are accredited by the Australian medical council or the Canadian one etc. )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (203)
51.92%
No (188)
48.08%

Watched Threads