Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I don't really see the need to do them since the questions in there aren't as good as the past papers and they take forever. Has anybody gotten good grades with no textbook questions?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Textbook questions are literally just past paper questions that have been grouped by chapter.
So for example if you’re learning about diseases, all the questions in that section are about diseases.

So I think you’ll find they are actually as good as textbook questions bc they’re the same thing.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't really see the need to do them since the questions in there aren't as good as the past papers and they take forever. Has anybody gotten good grades with no textbook questions?
Title: ‘Should you do the textbook questions?’
Description: ‘I don’t really see the need to do them’

There is no harm in doing the textbook questions. If you feel confident with a topic then move on to past paper questions. Sometimes, the questions in the textbook ARE taken from past papers.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 5 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Title: ‘Should you do the textbook questions?’
Description: ‘I don’t really see the need to do them’

There is no harm in doing the textbook questions. If you feel confident with a topic then move on to past paper questions. Sometimes, the questions in the textbook ARE taken from past papers.
i havent done textbook questions all year and I don't really have time. also the textbook questions in my textbook are missing the wording for the exams
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i havent done textbook questions all year and I don't really have time. also the textbook questions in my textbook are missing the wording for the exams
So why bother asking the question? It doesn’t seem like anyone can change your mind. Don’t do them if you don’t want to.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
So why bother asking the question? It doesn’t seem like anyone can change your mind. Don’t do them if you don’t want to.
I'm just indecisive. I'm asking because I want to know if there is some benefit from your own experiences
Anonymous #1
i dont think im being clear. what I mean is will I not be able to get an A without textbook questions?
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
there's no reason why not if you're doing other questions
hitclickofficial
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i dont think im being clear. what I mean is will I not be able to get an A without textbook questions?
There is not a definite answer as it can depend on the person. I would say do give them a try just to check your knowledge and understanding. If you are finding them too long/boring or too easy and you are getting the right answers, it shows that you have a good understanding of the topic. In that case, I would say you should move on past paper questions. So maybe for each chapter try a few of the questions from the book, you are not bound to do all of them and it's good to have practice from a variety of different sources. So just do some from the book and then move onto past papers.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hitclickofficial)
There is not a definite answer as it can depend on the person. I would say do give them a try just to check your knowledge and understanding. If you are finding them too long/boring or too easy and you are getting the right answers, it shows that you have a good understanding of the topic. In that case, I would say you should move on past paper questions. So maybe for each chapter try a few of the questions from the book, you are not bound to do all of them and it's good to have practice from a variety of different sources. So just do some from the book and then move onto past papers.
thanks i think this is what i'll do rather than doing all of them. thank you all for your time!
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm just indecisive. I'm asking because I want to know if there is some benefit from your own experiences
I agree with hitclickofficial.
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I haven't done a single textbook question, only exam questions and I've done well!
The questions you get in textbooks are mainly to test your knowledge and understanding which is only a small fraction of the types of questions you'll get in an exam paper.
username4500012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Last edited by username4500012; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (16)
6.06%
Uncertainty around my education (30)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (31)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (39)
14.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (15)
5.68%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (10)
3.79%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (25)
9.47%
Financial worries (17)
6.44%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (9)
3.41%
Exposure to negative news/social media (17)
6.44%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (31)
11.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (18)
6.82%

Watched Threads