Surviving an MA? And Postgraduate Halls More Expensive Than Undergraduate Halls?

Watch
JonoRoom5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I live in Plymouth in the last year of my BA. I want to do my MA in Wales, where the only candidates for my chosen MA is Cardiff, Aberystwyth or Bangor.
I'm working part-time now to save some money to move back to Wales,and I felt that going into dorm halls for the year would be easier. But I've noticed at these three universities that they have "postgraduate only" halls? and they're much more extortionately expensive than undergrad halls!?

Is there any chance of being able to live in any halls regardless of under/postgrad status? I find it bizarre that there is this weird segregation of students, ESPECIALLY where money is involved😒.

I'm worried that because I'm moving area that I'll struggle to find another part-time job (or full-time to even study part-time) to pay the installment fees for accommodation.

I'll be applying through SFE for the £11,900 .00 (3966.00 in 3 installments) yearly loan. Cardiff's MA fees are £9000.00. Assuming Cardiff splits the 3 tuition payments equally, I'll be paying £3000.00 which leaves me with £966.00 (approx) for rent.

at Aberystwyth and Bangor, the tuition fees are £7500.00 for the year. Assuming again they split the tuition equally, that's £2500.00 3 times a year.
£3966.00 - £2500.00 = £1466.00.

the £1466.00 will easily pay for the installments for the cheapest halls at the unis, but because postgrad halls are more expensive, this can;t happen! Seriously, apart from the rich and snooty, how do these unis fill the spaces with this extortion? Unless I can enter an 'undergrad' hall? Which I have seen happen here in Plymouth.

I could private rent in the areas, but it's risky as I'd need to find a job starting in September, as well as starting the MA, as well as saving for a deposit and first month's rent.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How have you managed to cope? (Or not cope as it could turn out)

You can probably tell, I'm new to investigating this MA stuff. Is there any other funding I could investigate in addition to the SFE loan? Is that possible?

Ideally, I'd need to pay September and October's rent as well as have a deposit paid if I privately rent, which I'll struggle to do with the money I'm saving at the moment (I don't have the luxury of relying on friends/family either for money).

If I go into halls, I would want to go into the weirdly labelled 'ungergrad' halls since they;re cheaper and manageable in Aber and Bangor with SFE. It gives me a grace period to find work instead of rushing to find it.

Sorry if this sounds ranty, I'm just panicking a bit, and unsure where to tread at the moment.
Bangor Uni
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JonoRoom5)
Hi,

I live in Plymouth in the last year of my BA. I want to do my MA in Wales, where the only candidates for my chosen MA is Cardiff, Aberystwyth or Bangor.
I'm working part-time now to save some money to move back to Wales,and I felt that going into dorm halls for the year would be easier. But I've noticed at these three universities that they have "postgraduate only" halls? and they're much more extortionately expensive than undergrad halls!?

Is there any chance of being able to live in any halls regardless of under/postgrad status? I find it bizarre that there is this weird segregation of students, ESPECIALLY where money is involved😒.

I'm worried that because I'm moving area that I'll struggle to find another part-time job (or full-time to even study part-time) to pay the installment fees for accommodation.

I'll be applying through SFE for the £11,900 .00 (3966.00 in 3 installments) yearly loan. Cardiff's MA fees are £9000.00. Assuming Cardiff splits the 3 tuition payments equally, I'll be paying £3000.00 which leaves me with £966.00 (approx) for rent.

at Aberystwyth and Bangor, the tuition fees are £7500.00 for the year. Assuming again they split the tuition equally, that's £2500.00 3 times a year.
£3966.00 - £2500.00 = £1466.00.

the £1466.00 will easily pay for the installments for the cheapest halls at the unis, but because postgrad halls are more expensive, this can;t happen! Seriously, apart from the rich and snooty, how do these unis fill the spaces with this extortion? Unless I can enter an 'undergrad' hall? Which I have seen happen here in Plymouth.

I could private rent in the areas, but it's risky as I'd need to find a job starting in September, as well as starting the MA, as well as saving for a deposit and first month's rent.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How have you managed to cope? (Or not cope as it could turn out)

You can probably tell, I'm new to investigating this MA stuff. Is there any other funding I could investigate in addition to the SFE loan? Is that possible?

Ideally, I'd need to pay September and October's rent as well as have a deposit paid if I privately rent, which I'll struggle to do with the money I'm saving at the moment (I don't have the luxury of relying on friends/family either for money).

If I go into halls, I would want to go into the weirdly labelled 'ungergrad' halls since they;re cheaper and manageable in Aber and Bangor with SFE. It gives me a grace period to find work instead of rushing to find it.

Sorry if this sounds ranty, I'm just panicking a bit, and unsure where to tread at the moment.
Hi JonoRoom5,

It's great to hear that you're looking to come to Bangor to study your postgraduate degree. Finding the right accommodation at the right price can be a difficult task especially when you need to stay within your budget. You can find all the prices and for our postgraduate halls for this year here (bare in mind that the prices can vary from year to year). You can also have a look at the information for our undergraduate halls here as well. As you can see, we have halls that are the same price for undergraduate and postgraduate, with the cheapest halls around £100 a week. Bangor is actually one of the cheapest places to study in the UK - something to keep in mind!
We also have a Student Support Center which offer advice on Skills and Employability and there's a Money Support Team so you know that there are staff members there to help and give you advice.

I hope that this helps a little, please let me know if I can provide you with any more information or answer any questions
Anna
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (594)
49.42%
No (608)
50.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed