Poll: Which is more useful german or spanish?
Spanish (0)
0%
German (2)
100%
aflowers
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am trying to decide whether to choose between German and Spanish at gcse!!Help I love both languages and don't know what to do
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Spanish
username5129378
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Spanish purely because it is more widely spoken compared to German? Tht's not to say tht the latter isn't useful tho cos it is - both are very useful languages.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
German is tricky
My sister learnt Spanish and she says this is not difficult.

Use flashcards
Pyruvic Acid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Spanish
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
German. It's not about how many people you can speak to but who. Most of the Spanish speaking countries are broke. Why do you want to speak to them?

Germany is actually an important country.

(Original post by aflowers)
I am trying to decide whether to choose between German and Spanish at gcse!!Help I love both languages and don't know what to do
Rebeccamaurier
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Spanish is definitely more widely-spoken than German, but in terms of work, German would be more beneficial. I think Germany is quite a hotspot for business in Europe, so it might be more useful in the future. I took both for GCSE and loved them both (German more so) but if you like them equally, pick the one you're better at, as it's useful to know a language in general.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would choose German, due to its enormous influence and economy which dominates Europe, especially in sectors like science, engineering etc.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think it depends on what you want to do with your languages. On the assumption that you are in the UK, are you attracted to the East or to the West? German is widely spoken in Eastern Europe - if Eastern European culture is something you are interested in, then go for German. Spanish, on the other hand, is the main language of South America and is also widely spoken in the USA - so if you feel attracted by those cultures, then go for Spanish.

Both languages have a rich political and cultural history with major authors and artists.

Please don't base your decision on the perceived easiness of Spanish as compared with German. The reality is that German is more difficult when you start learning, but Spanish actually becomes much more complex when you get more advanced. With both languages understanding the grammar is vital.
Krokodilo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
On the assumption that you are in the UK, are you attracted to the East or to the West? German is widely spoken in Eastern Europe - if Eastern European culture is something you are interested in, then go for German. mmar is vital.
To be clear: "Eastern Europe" usually refers to e.g. Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Czechia, Ukraine ...
something_orphic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
German is more useful for certain jobs and lots of businesses look for people who know German (if you are wishing to continue it on) due to trade reasons. However, if you feel drawn to Spanish then choose Spanish. They are both pretty useful but the most important thing in choosing a language is whether you are drawn to it or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.35%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.64%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
6.17%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
39.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
27.16%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.47%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.7%

Watched Threads