Political Correctness...

Watch
Jayden Harris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
How does everyone feel in terms of political correctness? Is it helpful and to what extent? I'm interested and open to any ideas you may have...
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jayden Harris)
How does everyone feel in terms of political correctness? Is it helpful and to what extent? I'm interested and open to any ideas you may have...
I have to say it’s becoming rather tiring.

I’m amazed now that children’s films I grew up with now come with warnings.

I truly fear that many people will be in for a serious shock when they get into the real world.

I understand that a voted Norms change, but we seem to be trying to rewrite history.

It’s the cancel culture that scares me the most.

In the past few months we’ve seen people criticising things that John Wayne said in 1973. There was a news report today about people demanding a journalist apologise to Britney Spears for what he said in an interview in 2003.

There’s starting to be a kick back now on woke culture and Social Justice Warriors trying to out ‘virtue signal everybody.’

Try Googling Dave Chappell, cancel culture.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jayden Harris)
PC culture is basically a liberal version of blasphemy laws but unlike Christianity there is NO possibility of salvation. It is insane and toxic for society and civilisation. A lot of people esp right wingers joke about these people being 'snowflakes' etc, and whilst individually a lot of these types are laughable do not be complacent; these people are RUTHLESS and will do or say ANYTHING to achieve power including false rape accusations, blackmail and straight up lies. Their entire morality is if you're a fascist you need to be destroyed and ANYONE can be a fascists. Don't agree? Well you must be fascist too, otherwise you wouldn't be defending fascists, would you fascist?

What is particularly interesting to me is that people who engage in it will probably end up being eaten by the mob at some point as the 'rules' become increasingly arbitrary according to fashion.- observe the TERFs being literally castigated as far right right apologists. To anyone who is PRO PC Culture: there is something you have said or done that will get you destroyed by the mob and even if there isn't: the merest accusation of impiety will destroy you. Case in point- Jeremy Corbyn literally could not have done more for the movement and is now being painted as some sort of Nazi. If you are White forget about it, your very existance is a blasphemy; even if you are disabled and married to a same sex POC- but even if you aren't white you're not safe either. Ultimately PC culture is about POWER, primarily the power to censure and control people and everyone is ultimately expendable- for the greater good you see.

P Hitchens explains it far more eloquently at an Oxford debate here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRdlNTbe0k
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
PC culture is basically a liberal version of blasphemy laws but unlike Christianity there is NO possibility of salvation. It is insane and toxic for society and civilisation. A lot of people esp right wingers joke about these people being 'snowflakes' etc, and whilst individually a lot of these types are laughable do not be complacent; these people are RUTHLESS and will do or say ANYTHING to achieve power including false rape accusations, blackmail and straight up lies. Their entire morality is if you're a fascist you need to be destroyed and ANYONE can be a fascists. Don't agree? Well you must be fascist too, otherwise you wouldn't be defending fascists, would you fascist?

What is particularly interesting to me is that people who engage in it will probably end up being eaten by the mob at some point as the 'rules' become increasingly arbitrary according to fashion.- observe the TERFs being literally castigated as far right right apologists. To anyone who is PRO PC Culture: there is something you have said or done that will get you destroyed by the mob and even if there isn't: the merest accusation of impiety will destroy you. Case in point- Jeremy Corbyn literally could not have done more for the movement and is now being painted as some sort of Nazi. If you are White forget about it, your very existance is a blasphemy; even if you are disabled and married to a same sex POC- but even if you aren't white you're not safe either. Ultimately PC culture is about POWER, primarily the power to censure and control people and everyone is ultimately expendable- for the greater good you see.

P Hitchens explains it far more eloquently at an Oxford debate here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRdlNTbe0k
It's just a rebranding of Marxism, with its new bourgeoisie and proletariat and exists for similar reasons. Subversive agitation.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
It's just a rebranding of Marxism, with its new bourgeoisie and proletariat and exists for similar reasons. Subversive agitation.
Basically, although I think a lot of Marxists would actually be appalled with it as in a sense the 'New Marixsm' is comprised of class enemies e.g most of the PC censors are the ultra priviliged elite and basically lumpenproles who are engaged in attacking and destroying the (white ) working class. Radical Left wing communists basically have the same social views as Goldman Sachs and Google.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"Political correctness", like "cancel culture" are, despite the claims by their users that this is something new, just the latest terms for a phenomenon that has existed basically forever - a dispute over what is and isn't a reasonable opinion worthy of respect.

Imagine a Venn diagram with one large circle, Circle A, which contains all possibly opinions. Within Circle A there is a second, smaller, circle, Circle B, which contains views that are deemed reasonable and worthy of respectful discussion: people generally consider these positions to be ones they can amicably disagree with someone else over. Outside Circle B are views that are deemed crazy, blatantly wrong, actively dangerous to people, are all of the above: people generally consider these positions to be ones that ought to be shunned and socially rejected and discouraged.

No-one really contests this basic model. For all they might protest, everyone considers at least some political viewpoints to be beyond the pale. The question is just what? Where exactly are the edges of Circle B? Invariably, what views are considered to be in or outside of the circle has varied according to time and context.

"Cancel culture", "political correctness", etc are ultimately just a disingenuous expression of this. They're invoked by people convinced that their views ought to be considered within the circle essentially as an expression of incomprehension that sizable chunks of society actually consider them to be outside it.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)

PROSM
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
"Political correctness", like "cancel culture" are, despite the claims by their users that this is something new, just the latest terms for a phenomenon that has existed basically forever - a dispute over what is and isn't a reasonable opinion worthy of respect.

Imagine a Venn diagram with one large circle, Circle A, which contains all possibly opinions. Within Circle A there is a second, smaller, circle, Circle B, which contains views that are deemed reasonable and worthy of respectful discussion: people generally consider these positions to be ones they can amicably disagree with someone else over. Outside Circle B are views that are deemed crazy, blatantly wrong, actively dangerous to people, are all of the above: people generally consider these positions to be ones that ought to be shunned and socially rejected and discouraged.

No-one really contests this basic model. For all they might protest, everyone considers at least some political viewpoints to be beyond the pale. The question is just what? Where exactly are the edges of Circle B? Invariably, what views are considered to be in or outside of the circle has varied according to time and context.

"Cancel culture", "political correctness", etc are ultimately just a disingenuous expression of this. They're invoked by people convinced that their views ought to be considered within the circle essentially as an expression of incomprehension that sizable chunks of society actually consider them to be outside it.
I agree to some extent , however I would say that the circles also contract or expand at certain times in our history and the content has obviously changed a great deal. Right now we are in a time where Circles A and particularly B are getting smaller.

There also appear to be rare or even unique differences to today's "model of accepted views" - the below are just a few I've thought of.

1- The rapidity of which views are becoming unacceptable- eg what was fine twenty years ago is now a social death sentence.
2- The Internet, social activism as well as determined cadres of stasi like agents ability to destroy anyone famous or indeed unknown* anywhere on the planet
3- the level of division where family's and friendships are ended because of political disagreement.
4- The level of polarisation of different views

*https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the...and-censorship

This isn't entirely unprecedented as we have seen similar things before but this is almost always due to a significant conflict esp a civil war which is where this could end up particularly in the US.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is the Content Warning on this thread a joke by a mod?

If so, well played.
Last edited by Quady; 2 weeks ago
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Is the Content Warning on this thread a joke by a mod?

If so, well played.
I’ve found that quite a few times.

I think some people are just getting pre disposed to ‘I don’t agree with that so it’s obviously something ist or phobic.’
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"bloody liberals stopping me saying exactly what I'm saying to you right now without consequence".
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
'political correctness' has no actual fixed or specific meaning. it is a term coined to supposedly insult or accuse persons who accept language changes over time and people shouldn't intentionally insult each other with words. i would say tho even those who say they are totally 'against' so-called "political correctness" are in practise more politically correct than they realise. like i don't remember Donald Trump, for instance, ever calling the Chinese 'the orientals' or African-Americans 'the *******'.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joleee)
'political correctness' has no actual fixed or specific meaning. it is a term coined to supposedly insult or accuse persons who accept language changes over time and people shouldn't intentionally insult each other with words.

i would say tho even those who say they are totally 'against' so-called "political correctness" are in practise more politically correct than they realise.
Language changes occur over decades and are due the interplay of different languages and cultures such as pidgin. It is not when one tiny fraction of society starts dictating the use of words such as 'chestfeeding'.

As per not insulting people with words, well how else are you going to insult people?

I agree but I am very self aware of this, it's funny to me that I work in a job where it's my left wing colleagues who always slip up and get accused of some sort of bigotry whereas my slate is spotless because I know I have "bigoted" (traditional) views.

like i don't remember Donald Trump, for instance, ever calling the Chinese 'the orientals' or African-Americans 'the *******'.
Well maybe not in public ... 🤣
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's toxic, childish and dangerous.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bit too broad a topic to answer with a definitive yes or no to it. However, in general im against such nonsense. Being ordered to speak in a given way because it may or may not offend some poor little flower is ridiculous. Whilst being polite costs one nothing and i will generally make a point of not being rude for the sake of it i will nevertheless call a spade a spade if that is the case and not go out of my way to use ridiculous circumlocution means of speaking.
This is even more the case given the ever expanding nature of what certain delicate little flowers get upset about these days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (67)
11.96%
Virtual campus tours/open days (137)
24.46%
Live streaming events (48)
8.57%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (53)
9.46%
A uni comparison tool (130)
23.21%
An in-person event when available (125)
22.32%