The Student Room Group

Year 2 A level maths mechanics

Hello, I am having trouble answering this question, how can I find the solutions to these. A uniform ladder of mass 10 kg and length 5m rests against a smooth vertical wall with its lower end on rough horizontal ground. The ladder rests in equilibrium at an angle of 65 to the horizontal. Find:a)The magnitude of the normal reaction, R at the ground.b)The magnitude of the normal reaction, S at the wall.c)The least possible value of the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground.d)State how you have used the assumption that the ladder is uniform in your calculations.
Original post by Jess_1029
Hello, I am having trouble answering this question, how can I find the solutions to these. A uniform ladder of mass 10 kg and length 5m rests against a smooth vertical wall with its lower end on rough horizontal ground. The ladder rests in equilibrium at an angle of 65 to the horizontal. Find:a)The magnitude of the normal reaction, R at the ground.b)The magnitude of the normal reaction, S at the wall.c)The least possible value of the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground.d)State how you have used the assumption that the ladder is uniform in your calculations.

Draw a diagram and post your working so far.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Draw a diagram and post your working so far.

Capture.PNG
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jess_1029
Capture.PNG

I would take moments about the foot of the ladder for (b)
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
I would take moments about the foot of the ladder for (b)

When I did that, I got 10g x 2.5cos(65) = S x 5sin(65) = 22.85(2dp) N
I got a bit confused but I get it now, thank you for replying.

Quick Reply

Latest