The Student Room Group

Natural Sciences

I'm looking to do a NatSci course that mainly comprises chemistry and physics, with some biochemistry and molecular biology.

Does anyone know which uns are best for this particular combination? Which ones have good chem/physics departments?
I also want the course to be very challenging.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by caviaporcellus
I'm looking to do a NatSci course that mainly comprises chemistry and physics, with some biochemistry and molecular biology.

Does anyone know which uns are best for this particular combination? Which ones have good chem/physics departments?

The University of Portsmouth are good. I'm currently doing a foundation science degree so I've had contact with all of those subjects lectures. They are really good and very helpful.
Original post by caviaporcellus

Hi there,

I am a current NatSci student at Uni of Bath, so hopefully I can be of some help :smile:

First off, I imagine you will be hard pressed to find a uni offering NatSci that will allow you to take 3-4 subjects. NatSci is designed to be interdisciplinary but still in depth, so as to not spread you too thin. Most universities allow you to choose 2 subjects, and perhaps also an optional unit which may be another science subject. At Bath, you choose one major subject and one minor subject from biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, environmental science and pharmacology. You then choose an optional unit which could be maths for life sciences, psychology, education or management. In some cases, you could also do a single science unit (i.e. introduction to pharmacology. The only exception is that if you take physics, you cannot choose an optional unit as you have a compulsory maths unit instead. So if you are interested in physics and chemistry, at Uni of Bath you could choose Chemistry and Physics as your major and minor subjects and then have a compulsory maths unit. You can see what units are offered within these streams on this course flowchart.

From what I recall from when I applied to uni, most NatSci courses work like this. Durham's course is very similar to Bath's in that you choose your own modules from broader subjects (i.e. if you did chemistry, you would choose 2 from Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry), whereas UCLs has set combinations of subjects to choose from and they are more specific/restrictive, i.e. "Medical Physics and Biomedical Sciences" or "Physical Chemistry + Physics". All in all, you'll most likely need to narrow down what subjects you want to do as it's unlikely that many good unis will allow you to do such a wide spread of subjects.

In terms of good physics and chemistry departments, I can definitely recommend Bath. My minor was initially chemistry, and I always found the lecturers really engaging and helpful - they always include real-world examples and applications, and are always happy to arrange a meeting if you need help with something. In general, I always found the way they structured the units really good and the staff are all great. I cannot comment on physics as I didn't take it, but from what I've heard, the department is also really good.

If you do have any other questions, just let me know :smile:
Jessica, a final year NatSci student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending