The Student Room Group

Required to put camera/mic on?

In seminars & workshops, participation is often compulsory and we can get failed for not participating. This means cameras & mics on, actively discussing. My anxiety has gotten a lot worse in the past few weeks and I can't stop worrying about this. I do want to participate but the build-up to these sessions is so painful for me. The sessions themselves usually go alright but I get excessive worry before they happen.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
In seminars & workshops, participation is often compulsory and we can get failed for not participating. This means cameras & mics on, actively discussing. My anxiety has gotten a lot worse in the past few weeks and I can't stop worrying about this. I do want to participate but the build-up to these sessions is so painful for me. The sessions themselves usually go alright but I get excessive worry before they happen.

I think it quite natural. I get anxious if I don't know the people in the breakout room in university online teaching. I don't understand your question though? If you want to stop worrying, it's hard, but if you can get through the discomfort that's one big step closer <3
Reply 2

I think it's a normal response to feel anxious if you're put into a breakroom for seminars and workshops, especially if you don't know most people/anyone, it can feel quite intimidating I suppose. Has your seminar/workshop tutor(s) done some icebreakers or something at the beginning of the term/the start of workshop groups so that everyone knows each other a bit better?

With regards to having your camera and mic on when actively discussing in a seminar/workshop, I can see where you're coming from. If I were the seminar/workshop tutor, I would encourage people to have their camera on where possible/if they feel comfortable doing so, but at least turn on their mic if they're actively discussing something. Anyways, have you liaised with your academic supervisor about how you're finding online learning? They should be able to support you or at least signpost/refer you to other forms of support, e.g. seeing a GP about your anxiety and getting an appropriate support plan in place. :smile: Hope you're doing ok, btw!
Hi there,
I thought I’d reach out because I feel similar in terms of the build up for a seminar!
But, what really helps me is channelling how I’d feel in the seminar before I start. In this way, I remind myself that these are only thoughts that are getting in the way of my attendance. On some days, this is so incredibly easy. However, on some days, it’s a real effort! This is completely normal, so if you’re finding it difficult to do this then if you persist, it’ll be like second nature to you.
As well, notice that you’re doing a really good job trying to attend seminars! If after a few weeks you’re still feeling like this, try talking to your lecturer / seminar leader about how you feel. Lecturers, especially at Liverpool, are really understanding with anxiety and individual circumstances so they should be accommodating to your needs.
I hope that helps :smile:

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Reply 4
Original post by MKaur18
I think it quite natural. I get anxious if I don't know the people in the breakout room in university online teaching. I don't understand your question though? If you want to stop worrying, it's hard, but if you can get through the discomfort that's one big step closer <3

I just wanted to express myself because I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about how I feel. Thank you <3

Hiya!

It's totally normal to feel like this, especially after having a long time off from being social/ attending face-to-face lectures so it can be daunting having to suddenly have your mic/camera on!

I would recommend emailing your personal tutor to explain how you are feeling as they will want to help and understand. They can then help with what you should do :smile:Sometimes tutors are fine with not having cameras and mics on but turning the mic on when you have a point to add/ when you are addressed by your tutor.

I always find reading the lecture material and seminar prep before hand and having one question written down on something I am unsure on, or something I want to add helps me feel more comfortable in saying something during the seminars.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Hey @Anonymous

I think I've been getting quite comfortable doing work online now that it's really easy to not show my face on the camera. Although my lecturer puts up webcasts with the transcripts, it can be easy to just skip the lecture and watch it later. I find it useful to attend the seminars as I always learn something extra or have the opportunity to ask the lecturer if I need further clarification on a particular topic. My tutors are really passionate about their subject and I feel that the engagement in the lecture helps me to understand the topic better.

Do you need to turn your mic and camera on? Our tutors prefer us to have our mic and camera on but I know a few of my friends have lectures where they have the mic and camera off. If they're asked a question then they'll turn their mic on. As @University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned, email you tutor to explain your situation. I'm sure they'll understand how you're feeling and be happy to help you :smile:

Hope this helps!

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending