The Student Room Group

First Year Worries 😬

Hello everyone!

Hope you’re all doing well and keeping safe!

As a 2nd Year MSc student at Queen Mary University of London, I have 5 years of experience at my favourite university (might be slightly biased 😉) so I’d like to help any new first years settle in!

As you wait for the offers to roll in (!) what worries or fears do you have about starting university? Share them below and Amaya, Matthew and I will be more than happy to reassure you!

I look forward to virtually meeting you all!

Kind regards,
Maryam
I am in my final year of a BA with Hons in Business Management. Juggling that, a full time job and family life. I also write for the University Magazine. Coming to my dissertation. It's demanding but worth it. No complaints
How’s uni life in comparison to other unis ??
Are student across departments integrated or do they tend to stick to each other in the department ??
How do you become friends with the people studying the same degree? What are the things you would tell your past self when you first started at Queen Mary? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
How’s uni life in comparison to other unis ??
Are student across departments integrated or do they tend to stick to each other in the department ??

Hi!

Student life is a central part of the studying at QM! The university is split into faculties, and you will meet people from your faculty in labs and lectures, but there are plenty of opportunities to meet students from other departments. There are over 300 diverse societies and 60 sports clubs for you to join, plus a host of events and activities organised throughout the year, which any student can join, regardless of the faculty. QM is very diverse as well, so you will meet people from many different backgrounds and from all over the world. The location of QM in a vibrant part of East London is also a great opportunity for you to explore the bars, restaurants and leisure centres that the area has to offer, and you are only minutes away from bustling Stratford and central London.

Hope that helps!
Amaya.
Original post by Anonymous
How do you become friends with the people studying the same degree? What are the things you would tell your past self when you first started at Queen Mary? Thank you :smile:

Hi!

You will meet people studying the same degree as you mainly during lectures, seminars, and labs. However, you can also meet plenty of people, in and outside your faculty, by joining a club or society. Some societies are about a topic or area that might be related to a particular faculty, such as some medical specialty societies, or the aerospace society, so you could meet people in your faculty in societies that are about a topic related to what you are studying. You may check out the QMSU website for more information on the societies on offer! https://www.qmsu.org/societies/

I would tell my past self not to worry about not making friends, because there were plenty of opportunities to do so in halls, during teaching, and in societies.

Amaya.
Original post by Wiseoldelf1
I am in my final year of a BA with Hons in Business Management. Juggling that, a full time job and family life. I also write for the University Magazine. Coming to my dissertation. It's demanding but worth it. No complaints

That’s incredible! Hats off to you! I wish you all the best with your studies and future career! 👏🏽
Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well. For those of you who have already received an offer to study with us this September, congratulations! :clap2:For those of you who are still awaiting a response, best of luck!

QMUL is hosting some free live student led events starting this Thursday 11th March. You may sign up at https://www.qmul.ac.uk/outreach/hub/student-led-live-events/. Find the dates, times and topics below:

11/03/21 16.30 17.30 How I started researching courses and universities

22/04/21 16.30 17.30 My student finances and how I budget

13/05/21 16.30 17.30 I came to university with Centre Assessed Grades

17/06/21 16.30 17.30 Learning and studying online as a university student

15/07/21 16.30 17.30 Why I chose the London Advantage

05/08/21 16.30 17.30 I came to uni through clearing and what happened on results day

Amaya.

QMUL TSR Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending