1-800-WAIFU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Going to Year 12 next month and took English Literature as one of my subjects and it was kind of last minute as I have to replace a subject. I'm kind of scared whether I'll be able to do them as I did not take English Literature in GCSEs. I have read classics liked Jane Eyre & Pride and Prejudice as a hobby. I managed to get approved to study Literature for getting an A in my English Language GCSEs. So with my lack knowledge in Literature, would I be struggling? If yes, any tips or advice anyone can give to me in order to get a hang of this subject? Any help would be helpful, thank you.
oliviacf04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you have never studied Literature but you are good at responding/understanding texts and are able to write good essays then you should be fine. Most people who are good at Language are also good at Literature. I would advise you to do/read some practice questions or answers to get used to the style and type of writing. The mark scheme is also useful to get an idea of how the essays are marked and how they should be written.
Hope this helps
molly_douglas
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, I would firstly make sure that you actually want to study English literature and you’re not just using it to fill your last option, as a few people on my course did that and changed courses in the first couple of weeks as they didn’t enjoy it.

English literature is mainly about analytical thinking and being able to analyse texts, although your skills in these areas should develop a lot throughout your two years in the course, as mine definitely have.

If you decide to go ahead with it, I would maybe try and get familiar with the way you write essays in English literature, as there will be many sample essays online
rayazzle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I took eng lit for my GCSE's and I got a 6 (B) and a 7 (A) for eng lang but I chose to continue with eng lit for my AS levels because I liked it more. But I will say it is most definitely not an easy subject, the content is really interesting and I enjoy it but when it comes to the assessments, i do horribly in them since the mark schemes expect a lot from you just to achieve a C and I'm seriously considering dropping the course even though it's my favourite one out of the four I took. So I wouldn't advise taking it unless your analytical skills are extremely good. So perhaps over the summer read one of the books listed for GCSE eng lit and try answering a few q's from past papers and chose from there ( i wouldn't recommend taking it if you don't score at LEAST a B)

Sorry if i scared you, but this is my genuine opinion : )
1-800-WAIFU
Rep:
?
(Original post by molly_douglas)
Hey, I would firstly make sure that you actually want to study English literature and you’re not just using it to fill your last option, as a few people on my course did that and changed courses in the first couple of weeks as they didn’t enjoy it.

English literature is mainly about analytical thinking and being able to analyse texts, although your skills in these areas should develop a lot throughout your two years in the course, as mine definitely have.

If you decide to go ahead with it, I would maybe try and get familiar with the way you write essays in English literature, as there will be many sample essays online
I cannot say I actually want to study English Literature. Even though I'm an English-freak, I never really thought I would be taking English Literature as I have already chosen English General Paper. The only reason I chose English Literature was because I was given History, Econ, Business Studies and Accounting as my other options and I have already chosen Psychology and Geography which would require a lot of memorizing which I am not fond of. But I am looking forward to doing English Literature in A-Levels so thank you for the advice!
1-800-WAIFU
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayazzle)
I took eng lit for my GCSE's and I got a 6 (B) and a 7 (A) for eng lang but I chose to continue with eng lit for my AS levels because I liked it more. But I will say it is most definitely not an easy subject, the content is really interesting and I enjoy it but when it comes to the assessments, i do horribly in them since the mark schemes expect a lot from you just to achieve a C and I'm seriously considering dropping the course even though it's my favourite one out of the four I took. So I wouldn't advise taking it unless your analytical skills are extremely good. So perhaps over the summer read one of the books listed for GCSE eng lit and try answering a few q's from past papers and chose from there ( i wouldn't recommend taking it if you don't score at LEAST a B)

Sorry if i scared you, but this is my genuine opinion : )
Oh god, this actually scared me. But I have already chosen and confirm with my school's principal. So I'll guess I'll see how the first 2 weeks goes and if I couldn't handle it I'll just drop Literature. Thank you for replying :3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads