The Student Room Group

Time off during midwifery placement

Hi everyone :smile:
I know this seems silly but I've looked everywhere for an answer and wasn't able to find anyone asking this.
I was just wondering if when you're on placement and need a particular day off that week for whatever reason then they can work your shifts around it as you would when you have a job?
I am mainly only concerned just because the occasional event can come up and I know I may miss a lot of them because the training is intense, but there are certain things like family weddings etc that are getting rescheduled due to covid and I know they'll take place once I'm training and was wondering if I can reduce the amount that I miss, or if you do just get given shifts and you have 0 flexibility over them at all.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jazzy392
I know this seems silly but I've looked everywhere for an answer and wasn't able to find anyone asking this.
I was just wondering if when you're on placement and need a particular day off that week for whatever reason then they can work your shifts around it as you would when you have a job?
I am mainly only concerned just because the occasional event can come up and I know I may miss a lot of them because the training is intense, but there are certain things like family weddings etc that are getting rescheduled due to covid and I know they'll take place once I'm training and was wondering if I can reduce the amount that I miss, or if you do just get given shifts and you have 0 flexibility over them at all.

I'm wondering this for Adult Nursing too!

Original post by GeeTee86

Hi guys
Will basically answer this for both of you's as it apply to all students nurses regardless of what course you doing ok .

The simply answer is NO you can't get time of as a student nurse / midwife in term time as must wait till end of each term for holidays
Only reason you will get time of during the term is for a immediate family funeral with permission from the university or hospital supervisor/mentor.

Weddings etc ain't class as importance as they can be arranged outwith your shifts on. And I think they won't accept covid19 as excuse to get it off either as yous have to complete your xxxx hours on placements & at university,
You also work alongside your supervisor/mentor as well when on your shifts.

You can as a qualified nurse change your rota's/days providing another staff member willing to swap you.

You may be able to ask your particular university course leader / placement officer about this but they maybe refuse it.

I'm a qualified nurse and recently completed the shortened top-up course for midwifing and weren't allowed anytime of except a funeral.

I will quote in a adult nurse & midwife ok for there thoughts and opinion ok.
@Emily_B
@Tracey_W
I know these two recently qualified in there respective nursing fields so they maybe able to say more on this for you x
Hi! In my experiences I would say definitely!!! Maybe myself and friends have been really lucky but Im currently in 3rd year and have nearly always had placement that are very accommodating, never have I been unable to get a day off if I needed it. I wouldn't worry about this too much as often we go over placement hours during the course anyway, so even if one week you had to do less hours, you could ask for special leave. I think it would be really unfair for anyone to say you couldn't attend a family wedding or event, but would just make sure you tell placements/ tutors about this sooner rather than later. Normally I have worked 3/4 shifts a week, so I think it would be ok to make the shifts work around your plans if these are for special occasions, or do an extra shift one week to make up time. Not all placements might be as accommodating as others but generally people in my cohort have either been able to pick their own rota, request certain days off for childcare reasons etc. Obviously some placements may have different guidelines but I would imagine you could sort this out with your uni tutors/placement staff and ensure you can complete your studies and still attend them important family days too. I will admit I know of some placement areas that maybe weren't so accommodating and maybe don't expect to walk in and pick and choose, but I would definitely say for special occasions it would be fine. It sounds like others have had different experiences to me which is a bit sad that placements wouldn't be understanding! University is important, its basically a full time job and a big commitment but family are important too. If you have any other questions, please ask away! Good luck with your studies!! :smile:
Reply 4

I can only echo what @Allyson2020 has said here. You can't just randomly get time off during term time for family weddings, holidays etc - the only time you get off is whatever is scheduled as days off from university and annual leave by the university. As for placement... it depends on the placement area. I did the majority of my placements at the same trust and each department was different - some give students their hours and are completely inflexible, others will give some sort of flexibility in having days off.
Original post by Emily_B
I can only echo what @Allyson2020 has said here. You can't just randomly get time off during term time for family weddings, holidays etc - the only time you get off is whatever is scheduled as days off from university and annual leave by the university. As for placement... it depends on the placement area. I did the majority of my placements at the same trust and each department was different - some give students their hours and are completely inflexible, others will give some sort of flexibility in having days off.

Thank you for the invaluable information, ladies. Really appreciate the advice. xx
Thank you for the invaluable information, ladies. Really appreciate the advice. xx

Original post by Emily_B

Can I just perhaps echo both @Allyson2020 @Emily_B about time off during placement time as they both right as I think of I remember right only got one day off during my whole 3 years as a student midwife for a medical appointment which I had to provide evidence of this with the letter and I had to make up the day off on my own time as otherwise my hours wouldn't had added up at end of the academic year,
Up here at universities it's pretty hard to get time of during placement time unless its was a very good reason like hospital appointment or a immediate family member funeral.
All you can do is ask them and see what they say on it as you's will not know untill you ask and try to give them plenty notice on things as well x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending