lilly_Ashooo9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
guyss i need help. im doing psychology research, basically correlate two diff surveys.

ive collected and code my data but now i found that my results are not as significant as i hope (compared to similar papers i based it on). how do i write this on results section? will my marks be reduced because the results are not significant?
axxxxxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Of course your marks will not be reduced. Many many studies had non-significant results – you just see them less often due to publication bias i.e. usually only studies with significant results get published. You will just have to present it as is in the results section. Having non-significant results offers you a chance to explore the topic on reasons why that occurred. You will most likely be marked on your ability of justifying your results in your discussion section. Best of luck!
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by lilly_Ashooo9)
guyss i need help. im doing psychology research, basically correlate two diff surveys.

ive collected and code my data but now i found that my results are not as significant as i hope (compared to similar papers i based it on). how do i write this on results section? will my marks be reduced because the results are not significant?
Hey lilly_Ashooo9,

I have done a couple of pieces of research on my Psychology Masters and all but one of my results have come back as non-significant. It has not affected my marks in any way and gives you the chance to question why. Maybe you had extraneous variables or the studies you are looking into and replicating had issues with things like sample size, bias and so on. It can also help you think about possible future research - maybe exploring deeper into a specific part of your topic or help create new research methods to collect results in that area. Some studies are dated and if participants have heard about them before this could bias your results and some of their methods could also be dated too.

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
abinpsych
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by lilly_Ashooo9)

Are you asking what your write up should be? If so, which test did you run to analyse the data? There are different write ups for different tests, I have a study sheet made out of all of them, which I'm happy to send on to you.

Though just to add, you won't be docked marks because your results weren't significant. In you discussion section you should discuss why you think your results weren't significant.. eg did you only survey a specific group of people? what was the age range and was it evenly distributed, and same with gender, was it general population or students or..? How did your sample size compare to the papers that you based your hypothesis on? As long as you include critical analysis as to why results mightn't have been significant, you will not lose marks. Also important to include strengths of your study and not just the weaknesses in the discussion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads