The Student Room Group

do any girls really think looks aren't important?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TJ1997
Imho at a young age it's a mix of ok enough looks and being socially popular. At school/uni I found this was the overriding consensus.

I know average looking or geeky guys who are in relationships with similar types of girls so personality definitely counts, but as a guy if you have little to no life (either out of choice or not) then it's gonna count against you massively.

when you say no life? you mean if you're not sociable/outgoing?
Original post by Anonymous
I think this thread has been good so far in that only a few users said looks aren't important, most agreed that they're pretty important.

It kinda puts people at ease like you don't have to have an existential crisis if you struggle to meet someone. Being unattractive is enough, don't question your entire personality...

I just say it how it is :smile:
You're intelligent enough to look at how the women around you IRL behave and make a judgment.
Looks fade, stupid is forever
Original post by General Meeep

they certainly do, but a "bulldog chewing a wasp" facial feature aint getting better with age.

OK..? What's the correlation here? Are you implying that good looking people tend to be stupid?

Stupid is not forever, you can change your toxic personality traits. And looks fade after decades, they're enough for as long as they last?
Stupid is not forever, you can change your toxic personality traits. And looks fade after decades, they're enough for as long as they last?

Miracles can occur but they are very rare.
An idiot or habitual criminal rarely changes for the better.
Same with stalkers, groper sex pests, d*** pic creeps or pervs that demand nudes from dozens of random girls online.
Well I rarely hear men saying that they look for personality, it's mostly women who say that. So I am not saying that men aren't shallow, it's just not a secret. That and men are easy so even if they're shallow they settle for whoever they can get really.

Sorry?
Please stop generalising. Please I beg. If that is the way you are, good for you. But stop generalising.
It's true so far as they don't mind if a 6ft white guy is slightly chubby or slightly skinny or if he has black or brown hair. But if you're brown skin, short or really fugly then you aren't going to be sought after by most girls.
Original post by Ackhnologia
Sorry?
Please stop generalising. Please I beg. If that is the way you are, good for you. But stop generalising.

Im basing on this on what I have seen in my life, not myself. All such observations are based on generalisations. If that's not how you are, great, if the shoe fits however, it's not my fault for describing a group. Go ask any woman on any dating app/website about the hordes of men they get in their inbox and compare it with what men get even attractive men. Night and day.
Reply 51
when you say no life? you mean if you're not sociable/outgoing?

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. I mean online dating can work but with pictures I guess you still have to convey you do stuff in life. Just my two cents
It's true so far as they don't mind if a 6ft white guy is slightly chubby or slightly skinny or if he has black or brown hair. But if you're brown skin, short or really fugly then you aren't going to be sought after by most girls.

Couldn't agree more
Of course we think its important, its important to everyone.
I thought so too but women in online forums deny it

men deny it too, in fact they deny many things. they're not shallow, they don't judge body size, they prefer it if she wears less make up, they don't like b itchy women and they don't want high maintenance women.

and then shock horror nine times out of ten they chase after and flirt with and date good looking thin women who are plastered in make up, bi tchy and very high maintenance. this is why women just stop trying. they remain bi tchy, selfish and stuck up cos they know men are gonna put up with it.
Just not true.

Looks are important for some people, not for others.
Reply 56
Haven't really noticed this tbh, lots of nerdy guys at school and at uni did well but never had any success with girls.

For some reason, it's also true lots of good looking guys are also wealthy even if not professionally successful (inheritance).

the nerdy boys might not have the confidence tho like the good-looking ones that makes one attractive; they could be incredibly boring and make one feel insecure.

i'm not really sure about what you mean in the second para tbh. a good-locking guy with wealth and not professional success can get the ladies =/= attraction was related to good looks. how have you arrived at that conclusion?
(edited 3 years ago)
and if that is really true, why do all the guys who are the most sought after by women are the best looking ones irrespective of personality?

I wouldn't ask this question but I see it repeated everywhere online and I'm wondering if it's true or just wanting to appear deep and not superficial or shallow. This is a good place cuz of anon, we can express ourselves freely on this issue without judgement.

Real life is not the same as online. There's a huge difference between looking at someone's photos and reading his profile and messages and being in the presence of someone in real life that is talking with you and doing things with you.

In my halls of residence in my first year at uni, out of 28 lads on my floor, the one that had the most sexual partners was the joint ugliest. His personality was within the least good 5 too. The main thing that he had that fueled his success was sufficient previous sexual experience.

Looks count. But not as much as many men think. And then it's not so much being naturally handsome. It's more a case of having a "look". A look thats congruent with the person you are, or the image you want to put over. To be fair to Mr Somewhat Ugly Stud From Halls, he did have a "look".

You also get a lot of men that don't have the success with women they'd like and they blame it on all sort of things. It's a playing the victim card mentality. "Oh I can't get girls because I'm not handsome enough". Or rich enough. Or famous enough. Or some other feeble excuse. When the main reason is that they lack the right attitude and don't behave or speak to women in the right way.

Most of what's written online, when it comes to success in getting and keeping romantic partners is poor to mediocre advice. Written by people that don't have a clue what they are talking about.
Haven’t you seen how many ugly looking guys there are with beautiful women? Initially yes, looks are important and enticing but if a guy really pursues a woman (properly and not creepily) then she’ll likely eventually see him as a potential partner
Original post by beneficialgirl
Haven’t you seen how many ugly looking guys there are with beautiful women? Initially yes, looks are important and enticing but if a guy really pursues a woman (properly and not creepily) then she’ll likely eventually see him as a potential partner

No I do not? where did you see all these couples? like at school, at uni, at work, the guys who were the most popular were the best looking ones without fail. Not ugly but even average guys who were quiet were single.

Quick Reply

Latest