The Student Room Group

student go to sixth form with not meeting entry requirement

o you know anyone going to sixth form with low grades and is doing a level not btec. i know someone who got accepted into history physiology and biology with 3s,4s,5s and 1 6. please do tell me as this would really relieve my stress. if they were like a grade 2 behind but still got accepted because he shouldn't be given an offer for a level he needs 6 in English language 6 in history 6 in biliogy and 6 in maths and he's doing foundation with grade 3.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lily09897
o you know anyone going to sixth form with low grades and is doing a level not btec. i know someone who got accepted into history physiology and biology with 3s,4s,5s and 1 6. please do tell me as this would really relieve my stress. if they were like a grade 2 behind but still got accepted because he shouldn't be given an offer for a level he needs 6 in English language 6 in history 6 in biliogy and 6 in maths and he's doing foundation with grade 3.

I’m a little confused about what you’re asking but:

Entry requirements for A levels depend on the sixth form. I know my sixth form says you need a 5/6 at gcse in a subject to do it at A-level but there are lots of people who got 4s in my subjects on my courses. I think you still need at least a 4 but there’s no reason they someone can’t go from a 2/3 to a 4 or 4/5 to a 6 so this may be why they have been offered a place.
It sounds like the student must have had extenuating circumstances. At my old school you needed a B (grade 6) to study that subject at A level, and an A or A* (8 or 9) in maths if taking maths A level.

Such low grades at GCSE does not auger well for good A level grades TBH.
Reply 3
Original post by Hellllpppp
I’m a little confused about what you’re asking but:

Entry requirements for A levels depend on the sixth form. I know my sixth form says you need a 5/6 at gcse in a subject to do it at A-level but there are lots of people who got 4s in my subjects on my courses. I think you still need at least a 4 but there’s no reason they someone can’t go from a 2/3 to a 4 or 4/5 to a 6 so this may be why they have been offered a place.

i want to do econmics maths and business/history
i will get 8+ gcse at 5+ apart from physics:4
i might get 6/7 in maths
i might 5/6 in english language.
they want me to have 5 gcse at 5+ 7 in maths and 6 in english language do you think they will allow me to do those courses.
Reply 4
Original post by Nautilus
It sounds like the student must have had extenuating circumstances. At my old school you needed a B (grade 6) to study that subject at A level, and an A or A* (8 or 9) in maths if taking maths A level.

Such low grades at GCSE does not auger well for good A level grades TBH.

that student applied to another school and has no circumstances infact he should be allowed to do btec. me and him are in same maths i got 6 he got 3. he got accepted into biology chemistry and physics with grade 3 in maths.
i want to do econmics maths and business/history
i will get 8+ gcse at 5+ apart from physics:4
i might get 6/7 in maths
i might 5/6 in english language.
they want me to have 5 gcse at 5+ 7 in maths and 6 in english language do you think they will allow me to do those courses.

Obviously I don’t actually know but if you’re only going to be one grade below the entry requirements then they might be lenient and let you in. This is more likely with the English as you’re not actually planning on taking it. As you think that you’re capable of getting the required amount of 5s I’d really focus your efforts on English and maths. I don’t know what you’re planning to do in the future but some universities also ask for 6s in English and Maths. Don’t be like me and reduce your options because of a low English grade :erm:
that student applied to another school and has no circumstances infact he should be allowed to do btec. me and him are in same maths i got 6 he got 3. he got accepted into biology chemistry and physics with grade 3 in maths.

It might only be a conditional offer meaning he isn’t actually accepted just will be accepted if his GCSEs meet that colleges standards
Reply 7
Original post by Hellllpppp
It might only be a conditional offer meaning he isn’t actually accepted just will be accepted if his GCSEs meet that colleges standards

he shouldn't even get the conditional he needs at least grade 7 in maths and his predicted grade being 5 that's nowhere near 7, not to mention his sciences that he got in all 3 in physics and chemistry and 4 in biology he needs a 6 in all to continue with those subjects at a level.
he shouldn't even get the conditional he needs at least grade 7 in maths and his predicted grade being 5 that's nowhere near 7, not to mention his sciences that he got in all 3 in physics and chemistry and 4 in biology he needs a 6 in all to continue with those subjects at a level.

You’d be surprised how wrong predicted grades can be - between now and the end of the year there’s plenty of time for improvement (obviously it’ll be a little different this year). My brother went from DEE in his March mocks to BCC in his exams and I had straight 7s in mocks and ended up with a few 9s, one 7, one 8, three 6s and a 5.
Reply 9

You’ve posted this before and got a response.
Reply 11
but i need more responses they were very inadequate
Lily. It all depends on the courses. Now please, calm down.
but i need more responses they were very inadequate

I don’t understand why this person who got into 6th Form with low grades is bugging you so much. I suggest you focus on yourself.
Every sixth form sets their own requirements and can be as flexible as they want.

At my school, I’m fairly sure more or less anyone who did GCSEs at the school was allowed to continue into sixth form. We were told we needed an A in French to do it at A-level, but at least one person had got a C and was allowed anyway. I think they were stricter with external applicants though.
Reply 15
What? i’m struggling to understand anything you wrote there..
every college had different requirements so you'll have to check with where you want to go... email them?
It depends if they have spaces. But really if you've got poor grades e.g a range of 2s, 3s, 4s maybe a 5/6, college is probably a much better and more suitable option for you.

EDIT also letting someone on a course if they need a 6 in maths but have a 3 (which is a fail) is just weird
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by linedpaper
It depends if they have spaces. But really if you've got poor grades e.g a range of 2s, 3s, 4s maybe a 5/6, college is probably a much better and more suitable option for you.

EDIT also letting someone on a course if they need a 6 in maths but have a 3 (which is a fail) is just weird

there's someone else who me an him are in same maths class i get a 6 but he gets 3 he chose to do biology chemistry and physics when his predicted grade was 5. i chose much more easier courses. i am stressing so much but he's hardly stressing even though he chose very hard a level courses.
there's someone else who me an him are in same maths class i get a 6 but he gets 3 he chose to do biology chemistry and physics when his predicted grade was 5. i chose much more easier courses. i am stressing so much but he's hardly stressing even though he chose very hard a level courses.

I don't see how the boy has anything to do with the problem you are having...

What A-Levels/BTEC's are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending