The Student Room Group

Gcse revision help - chemistry

Hi I am currently in year 10, and in need of revision tips for chemistry
EXRA INFO : I am doing triple science
Exam board: Edexcel
Reply 1
I’m doing edexcel chem to!( I’m in year 11 )
My main advice is make sure you can nail the calculations - do questions/worksheets until your brain finds them easy! Make sure you know the names of ions and molecules and know how to form and balance equations too. The hardest topic for me was electrolysis but once you get your head around it it’s great! The thing is with chemistry you just have to keep going, there’s so many resources (free science lessons YouTube, revision guides, physics and maths tutor,etc) so if you’re struggling it’s so easy to get help or find another way of learning something.
Hope this helps and good luck!!
Original post by Mkm5
I’m doing edexcel chem to!( I’m in year 11 )
My main advice is make sure you can nail the calculations - do questions/worksheets until your brain finds them easy! Make sure you know the names of ions and molecules and know how to form and balance equations too. The hardest topic for me was electrolysis but once you get your head around it it’s great! The thing is with chemistry you just have to keep going, there’s so many resources (free science lessons YouTube, revision guides, physics and maths tutor,etc) so if you’re struggling it’s so easy to get help or find another way of learning something.
Hope this helps and good luck!!

hey , thank you so much for the revision tips . The hardest for me is definitely balancing word equations, as well as doing Redox equations, is there any tips on how to nail them?
Many Thanks,
Trisha
Reply 3
Original post by TrishaChou1
hey , thank you so much for the revision tips . The hardest for me is definitely balancing word equations, as well as doing Redox equations, is there any tips on how to nail them?
Many Thanks,
Trisha

The best thing to do is practice questions and then if you get it wrong look through a mark scheme so you actually know what the right answer is. For balancing equations I write the individual elements I have, on the left I right the number of them in the reactants and on the right the number in the products so it’s really easy to see what needs to be added on either side. Again try YouTube videos or ask your teachers but dw I still get confused with redox equations sometimes and you’ve got plenty of time to perfect it!
For redox look which element is gaining oxgen (and is therefore oxidised) and the one that loses oxygen is reduced - that’s probably the easiest way to explain it but yeah try YouTube vids they really helped me :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mkm5
The best thing to do is practice questions and then if you get it wrong look through a mark scheme so you actually know what the right answer is. For balancing equations I write the individual elements I have, on the left I right the number of them in the reactants and on the right the number in the products so it’s really easy to see what needs to be added on either side. Again try YouTube videos or ask your teachers but dw I still get confused with redox equations sometimes and you’ve got plenty of time to perfect it!
For redox look which element is gaining oxgen (and is therefore oxidised) and the one that loses oxygen is reduced - that’s probably the easiest way to explain it but yeah try YouTube vids they really helped me :smile:

hey thanks for the advice x

Quick Reply

Latest