The Student Room Group

moving schools for sixth form? - i'm stuck!

i have applied to four sixth forms and i go unconditional offers at 2 and conditinals for the others (including my current school- which i hate) i really really want to move school but all the staff at our school say people that move schools are normally miserable and make no friends, etc. i have a few solid friends but we're headed to different places but that's not my concern. i haven't even considered staying until now PURELY because a lot of people say that when you move to a different school you feel alienated and don't make friends and you are less likely to do well. i'm moving for a fresh start but i'm wondering if anyone moved schools for sixth form and how they found it. also if you stayed at your school for sixth form, how was it?
Reply 1
I’m moving for sixth form because my schools sixth form aren’t offering further maths but all my teachers are trying to convince me to stay but honestly if you don’t like your school then go! There will be other people from other schools too and new friends you’ll make - it’s just a part of life. And if you do move you can always move back to your current school (just check that first tho) but yeah I’d say go for it because you sound made up already tbh
Reply 2
Original post by Mkm5
I’m moving for sixth form because my schools sixth form aren’t offering further maths but all my teachers are trying to convince me to stay but honestly if you don’t like your school then go! There will be other people from other schools too and new friends you’ll make - it’s just a part of life. And if you do move you can always move back to your current school (just check that first tho) but yeah I’d say go for it because you sound made up already tbh

you are right, thankyou! tbh i think the only thing holding me back was the thought of being alone at a new school for 2 years but i'm sure it'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by ermmaya
you are right, thankyou! tbh i think the only thing holding me back was the thought of being alone at a new school for 2 years but i'm sure it'll be fine.

Haha yeah that’s natural and I guess it will be a good reminder of how to meet new people before uni but dw it’ll all be fine!
Original post by ermmaya
i have applied to four sixth forms and i go unconditional offers at 2 and conditinals for the others (including my current school- which i hate) i really really want to move school but all the staff at our school say people that move schools are normally miserable and make no friends, etc. i have a few solid friends but we're headed to different places but that's not my concern. i haven't even considered staying until now PURELY because a lot of people say that when you move to a different school you feel alienated and don't make friends and you are less likely to do well. i'm moving for a fresh start but i'm wondering if anyone moved schools for sixth form and how they found it. also if you stayed at your school for sixth form, how was it?

Hi, I moved schools for sixth form last year because my school were unable to cater for my subject choices. Despite knowing 0 people on the day that I started, I have made lovely friends (even in covid times) and I am managing to get top marks in my classes at the moment. Although everyone's experience is different, and I obviously don't know what each of the schools are like that you can choose from, I think that if you are hard working and are able to prove that to the teachers, theres no reason why you cannot thrive at another school. I would choose the sixth form that is going to provide you with the best opportunity to succeed, but it's your choice at the end of the day. Hope this helps :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by livlifestudying
Hi, I moved schools for sixth form last year because my school were unable to cater for my subject choices. Despite knowing 0 people on the day that I started, I have made lovely friends (even in covid times) and I am managing to get top marks in my classes at the moment. Although everyone's experience is different, and I obviously don't know what each of the schools are like that you can choose from, I think that if you are hard working and are able to prove that to the teachers, theres no reason why you cannot thrive at another school. I would choose the sixth form that is going to provide you with the best opportunity to succeed, but it's your choice at the end of the day. Hope this helps :smile:)

this is great thanks! did it take you long to settle in or was it easy to make friends?
Original post by ermmaya
this is great thanks! did it take you long to settle in or was it easy to make friends?

Personally, I found it quite easy to make friends because everyone at the sixth form I joined was extremely welcoming. I can of course only speak from personal experience, and I think other people may say different to me, but I was able to settle in quite quickly. It was slightly overwhelming on the first day since I had never been to the school before (not even for open evening), but after a few days I felt like I had been there forever. As long as you are respectful, kind, and willing to work hard, there's no reason why you can't do as well in another school if you are willing to put the effort in!
Original post by ermmaya

I'm a teacher - we have people joining our Sixth Form every year. We try hard to integrate them quickly and even track thier progress as a group to make sure they do as well as those who have stayed on. They should not be trying to influence you like this - move if you feel you want to - you will make friends - some newbies have been voted Head Students so do not worry about this :smile:
Original post by ermmaya

I’m also leaving my school to go to a sixth form college. You will make new friends dw it will take time but remember you are probably not the only person that as no friends at the beginning. It isn’t horrible it will take time for you to warm up but it will get better soon.
do not worry everyoune at your school would want friends so just try and be social able as possible at your new school for sixth form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending