The Student Room Group

What are you guys giving up for Lent?

So lent is in 3 days, and I'm just wondering what you guys will be giving up. This question is targeted to those actually participating of course, otherwise I'm sure there'd be pages of "nothing" :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm doing this as my first Lent, so I'm going hardcore.
I plan on giving up 4 days of food per 10 days (4, 4 day water fasts - don't worry my body can take it) as well as listening to music (my biggest sacrifice) and abstaining from sexual pleasure. :yep:

edit: this might be posted in the wrong place, can a moderator please move it to the appropriate section! Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by V℮rsions
So lent is in 3 days, and I'm just wondering what you guys will be giving up. This question is targeted to those actually participating of course, otherwise I'm sure there'd be pages of "nothing" :biggrin:

I plan on giving up 4 days of food per 10 days (4, 4 day water fasts - don't worry my body can take it) as well as listening to music (my biggest sacrifice) and abstaining from sexual pleasure. :yep:

I'm giving up going to the pub, going to restaurants, parties etc.

If lockdown rules are relaxed I reserve the right to amend my decisions 🤣
Repeated 4 day long fasts do not sound very healthy. There are risks and dangers to this practice. You can't predict you will be OK.

During Ramadan, they break the fast each day at sundown.

I won't be giving up anything as I'm an atheist. I will be having pancakes on Shrove Tuesday because I like them.
Original post by meddad
I'm giving up going to the pub, going to restaurants, parties etc.

If lockdown rules are relaxed I reserve the right to amend my decisions 🤣

haha good one! After the year we've had, I wouldn't blame you if you went to pub if they opened up - and I'm sure the Christ wouldn't blame you either :lol:

Original post by Anonymous
Repeated 4 day long fasts do not sound very healthy. There are risks and dangers to this practice. You can't predict you will be OK.

During Ramadan, they break the fast each day at sundown.

I won't be giving up anything as I'm an atheist. I will be having pancakes on Shrove Tuesday because I like them.

Yeah I get what you're saying for sure, I mean I'm pretty understanding on the processes of fasting now since I've been experimenting with it for a while and have been learning about it non-stop so I'm ready to take the precautions such as Sodium, Potassium and small amounts of Magnesium supplements. I think I'll be fine but of course if there is any noticeable health problems other than the 'fasting flu' don't worry, I wont hesitate to break fast at all.

And fair enough, pancakes are just too good not to be had on Shrove Tuesdays, hence why recently I guess it's become a holiday of it's own separate of religion. :smile:
I honestly have no idea what I want to give up so I really need some ideas!
Not sure yet
Original post by V℮rsions

edit: this might be posted in the wrong place, can a moderator please move it to the appropriate section! Thank you.

Completely giving up SUGAR :'(
Original post by LauraforChrist
Completely giving up SUGAR :'(

ooooh thats a hard one, done that multiple times (not for lent) and on the first week you get the cravings / mood swings pretty hard.

I'd also just like to update everyone for transparency: I've upheld every promise so far except music - however that was perhaps too ambitious of me.. the others I'm doing well on :yep:
Reply 8
Personally nothing as I believe it is an invention of man, you won't find God asking us to give up this or that for 40 days. You will find him telling us we need to receive His Spirit though!

This Lent: give up giving up stuff
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending