The Student Room Group

IELTS exam specified in UCAS form didn't go well, I'd like to take another

Hi,
When I submitted my UCAS application I put down my IELTS TRF number. I just received the results for this and all sections went well except the writing where I am not meeting the requirements for some universities. Can I take the IELTS again? How do I let universities know that I am taking it again?
Original post by dolfovic
Hi,
When I submitted my UCAS application I put down my IELTS TRF number. I just received the results for this and all sections went well except the writing where I am not meeting the requirements for some universities. Can I take the IELTS again? How do I let universities know that I am taking it again?

You don’t need to. Just submit the new results when you have them.

If the scores on the first test weren’t sufficient, any offer you receive will have an English language condition. It won’t make the difference as to whether you receive an offer or not.
Reply 2
Thank you so much- this was really helpful. Just to check: when you say I need to 'submit' the results does this mean I should email the results to universities or does UCAS handle this? Thank you
Original post by dolfovic
Thank you so much- this was really helpful. Just to check: when you say I need to 'submit' the results does this mean I should email the results to universities or does UCAS handle this? Thank you

You just need to email the new TRF number, (or the score report with the TRF number at the bottom), directly to the unis so they can verify your results. It’s not worth submitting it as a new qualification via UCAS to be honest.
As above - and they wont be interested in checking/verifying it until August, so you can take it multiple times before then.

Quick Reply