Feeling hopeless about Sixth Form and life beond.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, im 17, 2nd year of sixth form and honestly at this point i want to drop out to find an apprenticeship. But im reluctant as i feel ive put a lot of work into college and so i would at least like to have not wasted 2 years. I feel so lost about how exactly we will be getting our grades. It makes me angry honestly, i feel the department of education has had now 6 weeks to give us a plan on HOW we are gettibg our grades and yet nothing.

Constant workloads being piled on top of eachother has left me with a lack of motivation and now im so behind in classes im not sure theres even a point in continuing.

I would like to see someone about me possibly having ADHD but CAHMs is apparently crap and frankly i feel it will just make me feel horrible going through it all, after having gone to the GP about anxiety and being told in faking it only to go through a panic attack in class that triggered what i can only assume is an asthma attack, i dont really trust the system much anymore put in place for teens.

I dont really know why im writing this, just wanting other peoples inputs i guess about their college situation and what i should do.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Colleges is really tough at the moment and the little motivation I have stems from wanting to meet my university offers. If I was you I’d finish the course you’re doing at the moment not only because you’re so far through it but also because if you decide in a few years time you want to go back and do it it won’t be free.

I’m also getting impatient waiting to find out how our grades will be awarded, I believe we’re meant to find out next week though (w/c 22nd feb). I’m on half term this week and if you’re too I’d suggest you try and catch up as much as you can while still taking time for yourself.

As for ADHD and CAHMs I have no experience but you’re health (including mental health) should be a priority if ADHD or anxiety symptoms are impacting you daily life you should go talk to your GP although given your bad experience maybe try asking for a different one to the last time.
lmgreynolds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I really feel for your situation and I'm sorry that you're struggling. Covid has brought a really hard time for mental health, especially for those in school and education and with little support systems and it's incredibly scary reaching out - particularly if you are struggling and are afraid of not having your problems taken seriously by health professionals etc. Especially as the NHS is so underfunded when it comes to mental health etc. I'd definitely recommend seeing a GP if you can bring yourself to do it, but if not, perhaps talk to someone at school and they may offer counselling or be able to write you a letter for your GP saying you're struggling which will help the GP figure out how to help you best. There's definitely a point in continuing, but prioritise your mental health first. In the future, you may be glad that you persisted and get an apprenticeship isn't the 'easy option' people often think it is but you have to do what's right for you and not what other people may be pressuring you to do. I've been struggling too and came across a free livestream produced by a charity which teaches DBT skills by an ex NHS therapist - their old episodes are on YouTube and it's really helpful for putting things into perspective and learning real skills to manage things http://bodyandsoulcharity.org/sharet...blocks-mindset is the sign up link. Please look after yourself and reach out if you have to <3
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
This honestly looks like exactly what I was thinking in year 13 and if I could go back and tell myself to stop doing A-levels and do that one Media course I would. I know it feels like you would just be throwing away a couple years of your life but it's not like that trust me, and I wish I'd have listened when my teachers told me that. It's better to change your mind now while you have the chance rather than carry on with something you're not passionate about at all just because you feel like it would be wasted. Because honestly years ahead, when you look back at this, a couple years won't even be that big of a deal when you're doing something you love. Also being able to say, "you know what, this isn't for me" even though you've put a lot of effort in, shows a lot of strength, strength that I wish I could've had.

I get what you mean about not wanting to go to a doctor because when I realised I needed help it scared me, I didn't want to be diagnosed with anything, I didn't want to go to a doctor just for them to tell me I'm being dramatic. So I looked into therapy which is free on the NHS and I actually had my first over the phone session today. I can tell it's really going to help and there's no pressure of a diagnosis involved and there's no scary feeling of being told by a GP that they can't do anything for me. It's just talking about how you feel and then a plan is put in place to help you reach small goals which eventually start to get you out of the vicious cycle of not being motivated.

As long as your thoughts about dropping out of sixth form don't come from the negative place of feeling unmotivated and feeling like there's no point in continuing, and that they come from a positive place of wanting change or wanting something that you feel is better for you and your future, you should definitely look into it more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (649)
48.4%
No (692)
51.6%

Watched Threads