yes

from an old poly?
unlikely
muncrun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes of course you can - from Russell Group unis at least. I know of several people working in top law firms with English degrees from various top 20 law firms. I understand the same applies to other City jobs like banking.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If it's a top 20 uni, then yes you can, but you'll need that outside your degree you have a keen interest in finance; a good way to do this is set up a (small-scale) trading account. I've got a friend doing History at KCL who's been very successful mainly because of that.

Re Muncrun - Your degree matters more for banking than law; for banking there's a much greater bias towards economics/maths/physics etc, for top law firms anything (from a good uni) is fine.
annabelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, during some work experience i had the opportunity to go to Merril Lynch. Being very interested in investment banking myself, I was quite eager to find out the requirements of obtaining a job in the city. I found that it really doesn't matter what your degree is, as long as you have an aptitude for the job. The vice president of futures and options, for example, didn't even have a degree. Just three A-levels in Geography, History and English!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by annabelle)
Well, during some work experience i had the opportunity to go to Merril Lynch. Being very interested in investment banking myself, I was quite eager to find out the requirements of obtaining a job in the city. I found that it really doesn't matter what your degree is, as long as you have an aptitude for the job. The vice president of futures and options, for example, didn't even have a degree. Just three A-levels in Geography, History and English!
This is how it was in the past, but not any more. Many of the top traders and Vice-Presidents at the moment don't even have any A-Levels, because at the time the industry was just taking off. Nowadays though, because the competition is ridiculously high, particularly because of the salaries, a 2.1 from a good uni, 24 UCAS points and work experience are almost essential for new entrants, along with aptitude for the job.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1234)
79.61%
Leave (316)
20.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed