The Student Room Group

Full time + Part time student at uni

If anyone currently goes to uni or went to uni, did undergraduate or postgraduate. (Studied: Law/psychology/philosophy/politics) Could you tell me your experience, you could even tell me how your timetable was like, how the lectures and seminars were ect.. anything! I’m an A level student too.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi EmmaGh, it's a bit of a wide question! I guess every student has a different journey and experiences, so you might want to break it down into subject areas you are interested in. You could then speak to current students doing that course, here at Hull we have an ask a student scheme so you can get relevant information: https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student , most other universities have similar schemes.

For my part I am a third year Chinese Studies Student, our course is about 6 hours of language lessons per week and 4 hours of cultural knowledge (Film, Television, History, Literature, Media etc) . It is a four year course and in the third year (sadly not possible at the moment) we spend a year in China studying at a Chinese University, so thanks to Covid I am doing online classes from a Chinese University, which is about 4 hours a day.

If you can think of specific questions please let us know.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaGh
If anyone currently goes to uni or went to uni, did undergraduate or postgraduate. Could you tell me your experience, you could even tell me how your timetable was like, how the lectures and seminars were ect.. anything! I’m an A level student too.

Hi!
As Chris from Uni of Hull has already said, this is a wide question.
I've been to uni twice (completed both degrees) and had 2 very different experiences.

1. University of Chester, History and German.
I started straight from A levels, and moved out. I knew I wanted to move out for uni so had deliberately hadn't even looked at, let alone applied to, the universities/campuses closest to home. One of my first year housemates wasn't too impressed that I had a place in uni halls because I came from "only 20 minutes away by train". The choice was, in fact, either:
- an hour's drive (without any traffic issues) in a car I didn't have/couldn't afford
- 20 min walk, 10 mins train, 20 mins train, 20 mins walk
- 20 min bus, 90 min bus (if not traffic), 20 min walk, no chance of arriving at uni for a 9am lecture.
And she wonders why I chose halls??
Anyway... it gave me chance to actually have an actual student-y life.
I had about 15 hours of lectures/seminars in 1st year - about 8 hours of language/culture, 2 hours of languages optional module (politics, literature or film), 4-5 hours of history module lectures/seminars. This went down to about 8 of everything in final year but, by this stage, pretty much all students are left to do a LOT more independent study/reading.
I had to spend a lot of time reading/researching, but did some every single day so I could have evenings free (although I did give myself days off!).
There were, generally, a few assignments per module. For the history side, this tended to be a essays between 1000-3000 words, bar one module which was a 5000 word essay and a presentation, and the occasional exam. For the German side, there were a few written exams, speaking/listening exams, presentations, essays... all sorts.

2. University of Chester, Adult Nursing
I'd already stayed in Chester, been working, got married, renting a house by this point. There was no point in uprooting my husband from his job, or paying extra and living separately for most of the year, while I went back to uni. I made the most of being able to walk across town to uni and had most of my placements within walking distance too - I was lucky in that respect that I had very little placement time (a "spoke" week) where I had to get the bus.
Nursing is split 50-50 with placement/theory time as you have to do 2300 hours practice and 2300 hours theory in order to meet NMC requirements. First year we were in uni 4.5 full days a week for half the year, 2nd year 3-4, 3rd year 2-3, and on placement full time for the other half the year (we did get holidays!).
The assignments, unlike my previous degree, were all 100% of each module. This included a fair few 4000 word essays, a few of presentations, and a poster.
Reply 3
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi EmmaGh, it's a bit of a wide question! I guess every student has a different journey and experiences, so you might want to break it down into subject areas you are interested in. You could then speak to current students doing that course, here at Hull we have an ask a student scheme so you can get relevant information: https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student , most other universities have similar schemes.

For my part I am a third year Chinese Studies Student, our course is about 6 hours of language lessons per week and 4 hours of cultural knowledge (Film, Television, History, Literature, Media etc) . It is a four year course and in the third year (sadly not possible at the moment) we spend a year in China studying at a Chinese University, so thanks to Covid I am doing online classes from a Chinese University, which is about 4 hours a day.

If you can think of specific questions please let us know.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep

Thanks for your insight!
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
Hi!
As Chris from Uni of Hull has already said, this is a wide question.
I've been to uni twice (completed both degrees) and had 2 very different experiences.

1. University of Chester, History and German.
I started straight from A levels, and moved out. I knew I wanted to move out for uni so had deliberately hadn't even looked at, let alone applied to, the universities/campuses closest to home. One of my first year housemates wasn't too impressed that I had a place in uni halls because I came from "only 20 minutes away by train". The choice was, in fact, either:
- an hour's drive (without any traffic issues) in a car I didn't have/couldn't afford
- 20 min walk, 10 mins train, 20 mins train, 20 mins walk
- 20 min bus, 90 min bus (if not traffic), 20 min walk, no chance of arriving at uni for a 9am lecture.
And she wonders why I chose halls??
Anyway... it gave me chance to actually have an actual student-y life.
I had about 15 hours of lectures/seminars in 1st year - about 8 hours of language/culture, 2 hours of languages optional module (politics, literature or film), 4-5 hours of history module lectures/seminars. This went down to about 8 of everything in final year but, by this stage, pretty much all students are left to do a LOT more independent study/reading.
I had to spend a lot of time reading/researching, but did some every single day so I could have evenings free (although I did give myself days off!).
There were, generally, a few assignments per module. For the history side, this tended to be a essays between 1000-3000 words, bar one module which was a 5000 word essay and a presentation, and the occasional exam. For the German side, there were a few written exams, speaking/listening exams, presentations, essays... all sorts.

2. University of Chester, Adult Nursing
I'd already stayed in Chester, been working, got married, renting a house by this point. There was no point in uprooting my husband from his job, or paying extra and living separately for most of the year, while I went back to uni. I made the most of being able to walk across town to uni and had most of my placements within walking distance too - I was lucky in that respect that I had very little placement time (a "spoke" week) where I had to get the bus.
Nursing is split 50-50 with placement/theory time as you have to do 2300 hours practice and 2300 hours theory in order to meet NMC requirements. First year we were in uni 4.5 full days a week for half the year, 2nd year 3-4, 3rd year 2-3, and on placement full time for the other half the year (we did get holidays!).
The assignments, unlike my previous degree, were all 100% of each module. This included a fair few 4000 word essays, a few of presentations, and a poster.

Hi, thanks for telling me your experience! It has given me more of a perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending