Help with this 6 marker ( GCSE AQA SCIENCE 9-1)

Watch
Asertopin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
A car is travelling along a straight road. The driver suddenly
observes that the road ahead is flooded and applies the brakes.
Describe what happens to the car and the brakes.
Your answer should include details of braking distance and
braking force.
lavely
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
-when the brakes are applied, there is a frictional force experienced between the brake pads and the wheels (which opposes the motion of the wheels) -therefore the kinetic energy of the wheels are transferred into the thermal energy store of the brakes and wheels. This will cause the temperature of the breaks to increase (as well as it's surroundings, as energy will be dissipated). As the driver makes a sudden break, there may be overheating of the wheels and break pads and possibly lose control of the vehicle. -the braking force will depend on what speed the car was travelling at, and what it's mass is. The faster the car was travelling, the more braking force required. -the larger the braking force applied, the faster the deceleration, therefore the shorter the breaking distance, but the breaking distance is the distance travelled by the car under the breaking force therefore it will also be affected by the terrain, condition of tyres etc. Ultimately, the car will decelerate and come to a stop (resultant force=0)

this is my best attempt at it, hope this helps!
Last edited by lavely; 7 months ago
Asertopin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by lavely)
-when the brakes are applied, there is a frictional force experienced between the brake pads and the wheels (which opposes the motion of the wheels) -therefore the kinetic energy of the wheels are transferred into the thermal energy store of the brakes and wheels. This will cause the temperature of the breaks to increase (as well as it's surroundings, as energy will be dissipated). As the driver makes a sudden break, there may be overheating of the wheels and break pads and possibly lose control of the vehicle. -the braking force will depend on what speed the car was travelling at, and what it's mass is. The faster the car was travelling, the more braking force required. -the larger the braking force applied, the faster the deceleration, therefore the shorter the breaking distance, but the breaking distance is the distance travelled by the car under the breaking force therefore it will also be affected by the terrain, condition of tyres etc. Ultimately, the car will decelerate and come to a stop (resultant force=0)

this is my best attempt at it, hope this helps!
thank youuuuu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.62%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.57%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.23%
I need help with my personal statement (89)
41.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.88%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads