Why should Britain pay reparations to her former colonies?

Watch
Gaddafi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
All nations commit genocides and colonise others from time to time other than those who are too weak to- not because they're morally better. For centuries Europe was under attack by strong Islamic countries such as the Moors and Ottomans.

I'm glad that Britain was colonised by the Romans and civilised us despite them enslaving and massacring us along the way.
This has been a basic fact of life for millennia. I'm surprised at how people overlook this.
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
This has been a basic fact of life for millennia. I'm surprised at how people overlook this.
Selection of information and facts to support you’re own personal opinion normally.

I often find it odd that those who attack western history tend to be the ones that are quite happy to side with dictatorships.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)

Should we also teach students about the horrors of political Islam, then pick out the Muslim students and tell them that their people are responsible for this?
Should we teach students about genocide, then tell students with a Chinese ethnic background that their people are responsible?
Gained it's widespread attraction and support solely due to the Western invasion of Iraq in 2003.

(Original post by Strange5050)
There's likely individuals living in the UK who's family has never been effected by slavery. So then what? You want to pay them for simply being an ethnic minority?
Interestingly, I do have family friends (I should clarify I'm not related to them btw) whose ancestors were slave/concubine owners in British India. They come under ethnic minorities - and under the suggested scheme would get paid for owning slaves! People forget that many locals in these countries collaborated in the trade. Realistically, no one is going to admit to that though.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They probably don't care because many Jews are white, so therefore it counters the narrative of white privilege/ intersectionality. In the exact same way that they hold a special disdain for the white working class, to be clear I am certainly not comparing the plight of the Jew's with that of the working class'.

The white Left cannot stand it's self- they perceive themselves as being their own enemy. This results in an inability to solve the actually problems that are occurring in our society.
You cannot allow large numbers of migrants into the county who believe in ideals that are completely at odds to British/ liberal values, then refuse to deal with the fallout because being perceived as not being racist is more important than protecting the liberty of white girls. It's sickening, but it's where our white self hatred leads us.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10....67549420985852
Or this academic manifesto of hate self directed against white women. If you didn't realise you would assume that it had been written by a men's rights activist.
I don't agree that the left is 'anti Semitic' which I think is hysterical nonsense from Zionists frankly. The exception is from Radical Muslims which aren't really political and see more about identity politics rather than a concrete worldview.

ideals that are completely at odds with British/ liberal ideals
This is the problem though. Liberalism has no ideals which is what has allowed this vacuum of nihilism which the left is now filling.

That journal is interesting. If you haven't gathered I am completely against this idea of white guilt. I also think that the phenomenon of 'white tears of liberal women' is absolutely correct.

Let me break it down- this happens when left wing women's set agenda comes to fruition but leads to negative outcomes for her.

I once had a female white colleague who was the biggest SJW person ever who regularly made anti white statements and talked about how tolerant she was, how she had black partners etc. But at work she would regularly bad mouth black employees and by coincidence only get white people to do stuff because indirectly the other staff were "lazy". When this was addressed to her the waterworks went on and she said she was being "bullied": this is something I've talked quite a bit about.

I don't have ANY sympathy for people on the left who have suddenly run afoul of the monster they've created. They made their bed they can lie on it - case in point, the TERFs. These people have done huge damage to society and now want us to defend them because the left now thinks that women can have penises. Nope.

I'd advise right wingers to also Google 'Biological Leninism' which does a great job explaining this
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The kool aid myth of progress that western liberals have been swallowing wholesale for decades.

Humans haven't changed and history is broadly cyclical as the west will soon discover if things don't change soon
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
I often find it odd that those who attack western history tend to be the ones that are quite happy to side with dictatorships.
Why?

If you want to resist liberal imperialism it's pretty much essential, the only thing more important is having nukes as Gaddaffi found out
Last edited by Starship Trooper; 2 weeks ago
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The kool aid myth of progress that western liberals have been swallowing wholesale for decades.

Humans haven't changed and history is broadly cyclical as the west will soon discover if things don't change soon
I don't believe in the theory of reverse colonialization if that is what you are hinting at? I agree that Liberals are a destructive force who are undermining our freedoms though.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't believe in the theory of reverse colonialization if that is what you are hinting at? I agree that Liberals are a destructive force who are undermining our freedoms though.
No.

I'm saying that s lot of liberals seem to believe sub consciously that society is moving to a liberal utopia- hence sayings such as 'because it's (current year)' as answers to explain some recent liberal policy.

Obviously this isn't true: empires and civilisations rise and fall and there's nothing unique about ours. The era of liberal democracy will fall in the not too distant future.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fenton484)
I find this idea absurd. What exactly are we paying them for? The British Empire did some pretty questionable things, but we were saints compared to, for instance, the French. It's of no coincidence that all of Africa's top economies (Nigeria, Egypt, S.A and Ghana) are all ex-British posessions. Meanwhile - look at France's former colonies like Syria, Lebanon, Mali etc which are all in chaos. Whilst Britain did participate in the slave trade initally, through colonising Africa, it actually stopped the slave trade, as other groups like the Arabs would have enslaved the natives instead. The whole idea of this, along with say, taking down statues doesn't help black people. If you want to help black people, why not tackle the knife crime epidemic in cities like London, or help them out of poverty? The people in the former British colonies aren't living in absolute poverty, their economies are pretty good, with Nigeria Africa's biggest economy, and it will become even bigger. Colonialism wasn't a uniquely British thing, basically every society has colonised some place at some point. It was the norm. Not saying its right, but if we pay reparations, then maybe Italy should pay reparations for the Romans conquering Europe, Africa and Asia, or maybe Spain should pay reparations for colonising the Americas, or maybe the Greeks should pay reparations for the conquests of Alexander the Great.
Thinking more about the OP what I do saw support is debt forgiveness of the third world with the understanding that this is all that they will be getting. We won't be getting the money back either way.

Additionally we should end ALL sanctions against regimes we do not like including Iran and North Korea. It literally is a lose- lose situation for everyone.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What have the Romans ever done for us.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...b&action=click
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nope - nearly every part of the world has been a part of another part at some point in human history. We are a tribal and blood thirsty species.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't agree that the left is 'anti Semitic' which I think is hysterical nonsense from Zionists frankly. The exception is from Radical Muslims which aren't really political and see more about identity politics rather than a concrete worldview.

This is the problem though. Liberalism has no ideals which is what has allowed this vacuum of nihilism which the left is now filling.

That journal is interesting. If you haven't gathered I am completely against this idea of white guilt. I also think that the phenomenon of 'white tears of liberal women' is absolutely correct.

Let me break it down- this happens when left wing women's set agenda comes to fruition but leads to negative outcomes for her.

I once had a female white colleague who was the biggest SJW person ever who regularly made anti white statements and talked about how tolerant she was, how she had black partners etc. But at work she would regularly bad mouth black employees and by coincidence only get white people to do stuff because indirectly the other staff were "lazy". When this was addressed to her the waterworks went on and she said she was being "bullied": this is something I've talked quite a bit about.

I don't have ANY sympathy for people on the left who have suddenly run afoul of the monster they've created. They made their bed they can lie on it - case in point, the TERFs. These people have done huge damage to society and now want us to defend them because the left now thinks that women can have penises. Nope.

I'd advise right wingers to also Google 'Biological Leninism' which does a great job explaining this
The word TERF doesn't mean much, its a broad perogative term applied to anyone who doesn't belive the gender/ queer ideology, that is, everything is a social construct and that power is relational and ubiquitous.
Some of those TERFs are ex-intersectionalist leftist (I assume that this is group that you have no sympathy for), however this is not the only set of people that could fall under the TERF umbrella.
Everyone from the most vile misogynists to transsexuals to lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals concerned about LGB children being sterilised are TERFs.
You in fact are a TERF, regardless of if you consider yourself to be a radical feminist.

Anyway point aside, the whole piece of writing appeared to be aimed at discrediting white female victims of sexual assault- that is why I consider it to be repulsive.
I understand your point however, SJWs can weaponise their intersectional pity points as a response to their purity as an 'antiracist' being brought in to question.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The word TERF doesn't mean much, its a broad perogative term applied to anyone who doesn't belive the gender/ queer ideology, that is, everything is a social construct and that power is relational and ubiquitous.
Some of those TERFs are ex-intersectionalist leftist (I assume that this is group that you have no sympathy for), however this is not the only set of people that could fall under the TERF umbrella.
Everyone from the most vile misogynists to transsexuals to lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals concerned about LGB children being sterilised are TERFs.
You in fact are a TERF, regardless of if you consider yourself to be a radical feminist.

Anyway point aside, the whole piece of writing appeared to be aimed at discrediting white female victims of sexual assault- that is why I consider it to be repulsive.
I understand your point however, SJWs can weaponise their intersectional pity points as a response to their purity as an 'antiracist' being brought in to question.
Uh you do realise that TERF stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist ?🤣

This is a specific insult for specific people notably JK Rowling.

So no , this does not apply to me or the vast majority of people who are shall we say critical of these things. As you say they would probably just label me a traditional conservative or worse
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Uh you do realise that TERF stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist ?🤣

This is a specific insult for specific people notably JK Rowling.

So no , this does not apply to me or the vast majority of people who are shall we say critical of these things. As you say they would probably just label me a traditional conservative or worse
I am well aware of that- that is one of its ironies.

It is used to refer to anyone who questions queer/ gender ideology.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am well aware of that- that is one of its ironies.

It is used to refer to anyone who questions queer/ gender ideology.
Maybe in the same way as they'll call anyone who disagrees with them a fascist but they doesn't mean that fascist isnt its own ideology. A TERF is it's own belief system even if it gets lumped in with others
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Seen this codswallop? Notice how that having anything but a fascination for other groups puts you in the "supremacist" category. They're practically begging for people to take up its mantle, in spite of the exhortations to become "white abolitionists" - apparently targeted hatred of "whiteness" is okay.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
Seen this codswallop? Notice how that having anything but a fascination for other groups puts you in the "supremacist" category. They're practically begging for people to take up its mantle, in spite of the exhortations to become "white abolitionists" - apparently targeted hatred of "whiteness" is okay.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

'white traitors' well they're not wrong there!

I think this stuff is great from an accelerationist point of view. Now they just need to fail people for being white.

Maybe when Trudeau's kids get lynched for being white all the liberals will suddenly realise how big they ****ed up. The scary thought is how many would join in. 😟
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
I really hate to do this because it's usually dumb boomers doing this in a moronic context but this is literally Nazi eque.

Name:  Screenshot_2021-02-16-18-54-09-90.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  175.3 KB

Just imagine if they replaced the word white with Jewish, it would be a hatecrime and they'd be in jail.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fenton484)
What exactly are we paying them for?
What reparations....?

Do you mean gilt repayments?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
No, I'm not a fan of things so blunt as reparations..

But I do believe that the UK has an extra responsibility towards nations that used to make up the empire. So if they are in need, or have a natural disaster or threat or crisis - I think we should always expect to be ready to help to the extent that we can, and with greater priority than we may give to any random other country.

The commonwealth somewhat serves this purpose.
Why should the UK make more of an effort if there is a crisis in the USA or Canada rather than Brazil or Norway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (76)
11.88%
Virtual campus tours/open days (155)
24.22%
Live streaming events (52)
8.13%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (58)
9.06%
A uni comparison tool (149)
23.28%
An in-person event when available (150)
23.44%