Why should Britain pay reparations to her former colonies?

Watch
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
No, I'm not a fan of things so blunt as reparations..

But I do believe that the UK has an extra responsibility towards nations that used to make up the empire. So if they are in need, or have a natural disaster or threat or crisis - I think we should always expect to be ready to help to the extent that we can, and with greater priority than we may give to any random other country.

The commonwealth somewhat serves this purpose.
Like this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit...eone_Civil_War
IbeIC123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fenton484)
How could Britain prevent the development of "many nations" when these nations literally didn't even exist then. I'm sure BAME (a term i hate) people would much rather than just paying them off , we actually make useful policies to help them? Also, name me these genocides. Britain killed a lot of people, but genocide? It's debatable. There has to be clear intention to wipe out a population through genocide. As I said, the british weren't angels, but the French were on another level.
Genocide? I would ask the aboriginal Tasmanians about that
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IbeIC123)
Somebody’s been on Wikipedia.

How many millions were killed there? I bet you’re going to quite me a % aren’t you?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah this hoary old chestnut.
This is nothing but greedy little people trying to scrounge money for no deserving reason. None of them were alive really (averge age in most of these countries being about 20 or so) and thus suffered no harm. The idea of paying based on some dubious historical fallacy is equally risible, given a large crux of their "argument" rests on the slave trade they should find themselves [paying themselves given who do you think sold their kin into slavery? A point often glossed over by historically illiterate types.

Either way, this all boils down to the fact that most of the African colonies (the CANZ ones and most of Asia doing extremely well - you dont see SG, MY, IN etc,) are run by idiots, thieves and murderers who are more preoccupied in exterminating their neighbours and looting the state. Say what you want about how Britain contributed to this (tbh the only real crime was ever giving them independence when they didnt deserve it or were unready). Their current problems are completely and irrefutably their own fault. If they didnt keep supporting and enabling genocidal dictators they could be some of the worlds richest countries - huge mineral deposits, oil, gas, diamonds, man power, land etc. if they cant utilize this to their benefit thats on them and i see no reason for Britain to bail out countries we have nothing to do with and havent for half a century or more.

Now if we're talking about Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, BIOT i'd be open to the idea them obviously being our fault in part. Same for a few other MENA states. But given the reparation's argument is solely peddled by African diaspora (ironically usually ones who have never even been there but are British and have lived here/grown up here their entire lives) well... it does rather speak to their motives.

Case in point being there are several examples of where Britain could provide monetary compensation for current/historical wrongs but there are extremely few in this particular area (as noted, the one most discussed) worthy of even a passing glance. By all means continue aid to some of these countries (albeit not a penny to the governments unless theyre actually friendly to us and their citizens) but as to the rest, why should the British tax payer bail our foreign criminal regimes and those who have nothing to do with Britain? Your average Nigerian, for example, having no conceivable connection to the UK.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IbeIC123)
Genocide requires intent, it is a specific legal term. Whilst there were atrocities there was not any concentrated effort to wipe them out.. as opposed to imported diseases doing the job. That not being a genocide though.
Equally, note the difference between London policy and facts on the ground - they were extremely different. London being fairly benign in ordering okay treatment for them whilst the locals being much more barbaric - after all, its hard to enforce your writ when youre like a years sail away.
Jangwatnii
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Im perfectly happy to pay if it means they wont come over here.

Cant think why anybody would come over here though after the disgraceful conduct of the authorities.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Given the state of our non-dominion colonies I am inclined to believe that these decedent's should be much more grateful for the opportunities they have been afforded to here (they are wealthier than 90% of their so called compatriats) and frankly those who want reperations should go back to wherever they are choosing to identify as from.

The white liberals who support this notion are probably the worst though. Literally choosing to tax the populous for crimes not committed in their lifetimes.
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Azagthoa)
White working class kids still have the opportunities to succeed purely based on their race that are denied to BAME people.
If this is true, can you please tell me why white state school students are overwhelmingly less likely to proceed to higher education than black state school students? You might want to rethink which group has opportunities to succeed purely based on race, given all the of the current BAME scholarships and initiatives.
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....city-over-time
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by -Imperator-)
If this is true, can you please tell me why white state school students are overwhelmingly less likely to proceed to higher education than black state school students? You might want to rethink which group has opportunities to succeed purely based on race, given all the of the current BAME scholarships and initiatives.
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....city-over-time
You realise your source doesn't evidence that right?

Like you do know since its UCAS data its self selecting in that it is 'of those who applied for university'.

You might well be right, but that source doesn't show it.
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
You realise your source doesn't evidence that right?

Like you do know since its UCAS data its self selecting in that it is 'of those who applied for university'.

You might well be right, but that source doesn't show it.
I don't quite understand what you mean. They used data from UCAS to estimate the proportion of state school students of each ethnicity proceeding to higher education - obviously UCAS tracks university admissions.
Azagthoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
New research from Havard medical school shows that reparations would have prevented thousands of BAME deaths. There is no argument now against reparations unless you believe Black lives don't matter. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...77953621000733
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
New research from Havard medical school shows that reparations would have prevented thousands of BAME deaths. There is no argument now against reparations unless you believe Black lives don't matter. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...77953621000733
Good morning middle class white girl.

The report says ‘potential’ not would.

It doesn’t appear to be peer reviewed either.

It seems to make no reference to anything medical. It just compares blacks in Louisiana to South Koreans. The Japanese government didn’t pay reparations to South Koreans for enslaving them. South Koreans just worked for what they had.
Azagthoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
Good morning middle class white girl.

The report says ‘potential’ not would.

It doesn’t appear to be peer reviewed either.

It seems to make no reference to anything medical. It just compares blacks in Louisiana to South Koreans. The Japanese government didn’t pay reparations to South Koreans for enslaving them. South Koreans just worked for what they had.
This is peer reviewed research coming from Havard medical school, the best university in the world. You are some random racist posting on the internet. I think I know who I trust to carry out this important research.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get the point that the study is trying to make. I don't see the need to compare to Korea though - the vast majority of countries and groups don't compare well to korea currently, so its hardly a useful comparison.

But yes, obviously less financially well off is going to result in worse health outcomes. And potentially if you reduced wealth inequality you could reduce health inequality, whether that be along racial lines or class lines or anything else. That isn't really up for debate, the debate is around how you reduce those inequalities. The study above doesn't really justify reparations as a solution for me, but then the author would probably want it viewed as part of the wider field of literature around reparations, and not in isolation.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is peer reviewed research coming from Havard medical school, the best university in the world. You are some random racist posting on the internet. I think I know who I trust to carry out this important research.
It doesn’t appear to be peer reviewed. Neither does it say anything other than more blacks in Louisiana day of Covid that south Koreans.

In fact, it says very little.

This probably says more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFHG8wWC5s
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They shouldn’t, in short. It’s a left wing barnpot fallacy as usual.
jackmarshal757
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just because it’s peer reviewed and comes from Harvard doesn’t make it right.

Even with simple common sense I could know that reparations would solve nothing nowadays
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
“Important research”

Debatable.
jackmarshal757
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s an absurdity because we helped advance most of the world with the Empire. India could never be in the position it is today without our help
IbeIC123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
Somebody’s been on Wikipedia.

How many millions were killed there? I bet you’re going to quite me a % aren’t you?
Yes I do believe wiping out a whole people group is still significant 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (76)
11.88%
Virtual campus tours/open days (155)
24.22%
Live streaming events (52)
8.13%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (58)
9.06%
A uni comparison tool (149)
23.28%
An in-person event when available (150)
23.44%