The Student Room Group

applying for uni with bad gcse grades that i got given after exams were cancelled

I'm currently in yr 12 going into yr 13 this september. I've been deciding on the unis I'm interested in and some are in the top 20 which means they'll be requiring good a level grades as well as gcse grades. Since we didn't do our exams last year and got given our predicted gardes, I thought this was extremely unfair as mine for some subjects were lower than I couldve achieved if the exam actually took place. My average grade for all my gcses was a 6; equivalent to a B. If I'm applying to unis requiring A*s and As will seeing my gcse average as a B turn them away from considering me?
I'll be taking a maths or an economics course in uni, and i realise how competitive these courses are, so it worries me to see that even if i get good a level results it may not be enough as my gcses may cast a disappointing shadow on them.
Reply 1
Original post by b.pat
I'm currently in yr 12 going into yr 13 this september. I've been deciding on the unis I'm interested in and some are in the top 20 which means they'll be requiring good a level grades as well as gcse grades. Since we didn't do our exams last year and got given our predicted gardes, I thought this was extremely unfair as mine for some subjects were lower than I couldve achieved if the exam actually took place. My average grade for all my gcses was a 6; equivalent to a B. If I'm applying to unis requiring A*s and As will seeing my gcse average as a B turn them away from considering me?
I'll be taking a maths or an economics course in uni, and i realise how competitive these courses are, so it worries me to see that even if i get good a level results it may not be enough as my gcses may cast a disappointing shadow on them.

I was also thinking about that because my teachers gave me predicted grades of 7-5 just because of classwork, even though I did better then that in assessments, it's soo annoying, but maybe the universities will take the bad predicted grades into consideration if we get A-A* in Alevels.
Universities usually only use a tiny GCSE % for the overall score of an application if they look at them at all - they are FAR more interested in your A level predictions and your Personal Statement.

Some only specify GCSE Maths / English - and if that's the issue you can retake these alongside your A levels next year or even in the autumn - just ask your school. Any Uni offer would include the GCSE grade as an extra condition.
Original post by b.pat

Hey Im in the same position as you.
I want to apply for econ at a RG uni but i got Bs and Cs so even Im a bit tensed. However as long as we passed english language and maths .. i think we'll be fine.

Also what im considering to do is to apply to courses such as econ+fin or maybe econ+pol ... this would idealy reduce competition than applying to straight econ.

Quick Reply

Latest