Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi! I'm an EU student who got a conditional offer for Criminology (M900) from both Swansea and Leicester. From what I've heard both are good unis and I'm struggling to make my firm choice. I've also never been to either of those cities as I'm not from the UK and don't know what they look like irl. Can any current students give me some insight into what to expect from these universities?
University of Leicester
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! I'm an EU student who got a conditional offer for Criminology (M900) from both Swansea and Leicester. From what I've heard both are good unis and I'm struggling to make my firm choice. I've also never been to either of those cities as I'm not from the UK and don't know what they look like irl. Can any current students give me some insight into what to expect from these universities?
Hello,

Congratulations on receiving your offers, that's great news! My name's Anita and I'm currently a student here at the University of Leicester so hopefully I'll be able to give you a bit more insight to what University life is like.

-In terms of location we are actually a campus-based University meaning all of our facilities are situated conveniently in one site. However you could also argue we have elements of a city-based University as the city centre is only a 10-minute walk from our campus giving us the best of both worlds.
-The city itself is not as large or as fast paced as an area such as London. However it is still big enough to be an exciting city with lots of different activities going on as well as a variety of different shops and facilities.
-We also have lots of beautiful greenery and parks as well as a popular attraction- the National Space Centre located a 15 minute drive away from the University.

Teaching:
-We are a research intensive university meaning you'll often find that academic teaching will reflect and make use of their own disciplinary research to benefit student learning. The University have also conducted research towards current global challenges including our contributions and findings with COVID and how this has affected communities as well as many other social, environmental and economic issues.
-We also have one of the few departments in the country devoted solely to Criminology home to some of the UK’s leading Criminologist. You get a vast range and variety of what it’s like studying crime, punishment and rehabilitation at University opening up many career opportunities within Criminal Justice.

Social life:
- We have over 200 sport clubs and societies, and if there’s not yet a society for you, you can create your own one!
- The university runs lots of events- Freshers, Varsity, game and movie nights, oadby fest and much more which are all full of free food and fun activities!
- We also have the O2 academy on our campus meaning you have first-hand access to seeing music artist performing live.

If you wish to speak to further staff or students from our University you can use our Unibuddy chat function here- https://le.ac.uk/study/chat?utm_sour...ontent=various
Or more specifically if you would like to speak to a Criminology Student you can also filter that out

I hope that helped and gave you a bit more insight to what life is like as a Student here at the University of Leicester. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Anita
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.82%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (75)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (91)
12.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (76)
10.8%
Financial worries (44)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
5.97%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (68)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.81%

Watched Threads