username5568728
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I was wondering if a subscription to TLS was worth the money and what people think about it? I am thinking about doing an english degree at uni, and was thinking that TLS would give me some interesting articles to write about in my personal statement. So does anyone have an opinion about it?
Keele Postgraduate
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lily_23)
I was wondering if a subscription to TLS was worth the money and what people think about it? I am thinking about doing an english degree at uni, and was thinking that TLS would give me some interesting articles to write about in my personal statement. So does anyone have an opinion about it?
Hi Lily_23

The TLS does have some really interesting articles and commentary, although I personally find some of it a little pretentious! .

That said, the TLS does have some great long-form writing on varied aspects of literature - including some lesser known authors and texts - and their book review section is a good balance of general and more academic publishing. It also often features academics writing for a more general audience - so it's a good way of beginning to get a sense of academic writing, without having to dive straight into journal articles (which can be very dense if you're not used to the style and language).

I've never had a subscription personally - once you go to university, you may well find that your university library has a subscription to it either as paper copies to read in the library or online (and you might check to see if your local library has a subscription - mine offers an online subscription via their digital library services), and this is how I access TLS content at Keele.

You may well find you can get a subscription deal for a limited period of time, which would give you a taste of TLS content. If you like reading it, you can then continue with the subscription - and if not, you'd still have some issues to talk around if you wanted to! To be honest, your interest in reading around you potential studies is already likely to impress potential universities!

Amy Louise
username5568728
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Keele Postgraduate)
Hi Lily_23

The TLS does have some really interesting articles and commentary, although I personally find some of it a little pretentious! .

That said, the TLS does have some great long-form writing on varied aspects of literature - including some lesser known authors and texts - and their book review section is a good balance of general and more academic publishing. It also often features academics writing for a more general audience - so it's a good way of beginning to get a sense of academic writing, without having to dive straight into journal articles (which can be very dense if you're not used to the style and language).

I've never had a subscription personally - once you go to university, you may well find that your university library has a subscription to it either as paper copies to read in the library or online (and you might check to see if your local library has a subscription - mine offers an online subscription via their digital library services), and this is how I access TLS content at Keele.

You may well find you can get a subscription deal for a limited period of time, which would give you a taste of TLS content. If you like reading it, you can then continue with the subscription - and if not, you'd still have some issues to talk around if you wanted to! To be honest, your interest in reading around you potential studies is already likely to impress potential universities!

Amy Louise
Thank you for this. You are always really helpful. I might get a subscription but I was also thinking about the New Yorker - I was wondering if you have have ever read any articles from the New Yorker, especially literary articles?
Keele Postgraduate
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lily_23)
Thank you for this. You are always really helpful. I might get a subscription but I was also thinking about the New Yorker - I was wondering if you have have ever read any articles from the New Yorker, especially literary articles?
No problem at all!

I read The New Yorker semi-regularly (mostly through the local library which has free digital access - I'd love to the subscribe to the print edition but it's quite expensive in the UK). You can also access much The New Yorker's content for free through their website (https://www.newyorker.com), which is helpful if you're on a budget.

The long-form writing is varied and usually of excellent quality. It's considerably less focused on literature than TLS - although they do occasional author profiles and there are book reviews in every issue - but they offer a short story and poems in every issue so it's very good for providing creative literary content in addition to analysis. Understandably The New Yorker has a greater US focus though, whereas TLS tends to be more focused on the UK literary scene.

Amy Louise
Last edited by Keele Postgraduate; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads