The Student Room Group

Chevening Scholarship

How can I initiate an investigation against the Chevening Selection process? I learned that the connections play a role and I was rejected (while holding an unconditional offer from Oxford and showing exceptional academic, professional and leadership records). The strange thing is that all the rejected ones were notified 2 weeks before and selected ones were notified during the same time I was notified, so I assume that Chevening has chosen me but the local British High Commission "did" their job. Can anyone advise something or share the e-mail address or phone number that I can contact and report the case? I want to take serious actions as do not want any potential candidate to be a subject of such an injustice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Maybe make a freedom of information request.

Tbh you'll probably just have to take the L and move on
Reply 2
Original post by BourbonDodger
Maybe make a freedom of information request.

Tbh you'll probably just have to take the L and move on

I just cannot accept this injustice and have to do something at least for the sake of future good applicants
Original post by Anonim001
I was rejected (while holding an unconditional offer from Oxford and showing exceptional academic, professional and leadership records

What makes you think you were the top candidate ? Sorry, but odds are there were 20+ people with a better track record ahead of you, scholarships like this attract literally 100s of applications, are hyper competitive and have a success rate of only 2-3%.

https://www.chevening.org/employers/
Reply 4
Original post by Anonim001
How can I initiate an investigation against the Chevening Selection process? I learned that the connections play a role and I was rejected (while holding an unconditional offer from Oxford and showing exceptional academic, professional and leadership records). The strange thing is that all the rejected ones were notified 2 weeks before and selected ones were notified during the same time I was notified, so I assume that Chevening has chosen me but the local British High Commission "did" their job. Can anyone advise something or share the e-mail address or phone number that I can contact and report the case? I want to take serious actions as do not want any potential candidate to be a subject of such an injustice.

Do you mind if I ask you about your academic credentials to get an unconditional offer.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Wednesday
What makes you think you were the top candidate ? Sorry, but odds are there were 20+ people with a better track record ahead of you, scholarships like this attract literally 100s of applications, are hyper competitive and have a success rate of only 2-3%.

The selection is made on the country basis let's start from here. Knowing most of the awardees from previous years and shortlisted candidates for this year from my country, I can firmly say that I was a top candidate. Now, what makes me think that I was a top candidate - a decade of professional experience at the international organisations, exceptional academic records, being listed among global leaders (so far no one got this award from the whole continent not talking about my country), and, finally, an unconditional offer from the world number one university (while Chevening chooses one out of 30, Oxford chooses one out of thousand, as you see the rate is incomparable).
Reply 6
Original post by poppymia
Do you mind if I ask you about your academic credentials to get an unconditional offer.

Sure, my bachelor GPA was 4.0 out of 4.0 and I did already one master which I graduated with distinction. However, I think that the awards and international professional positions I shared played a big role too.

Sorry but it is so an unlogical question, he/she mentioned that world #1 university had chosen his/her, it is clear that this is for a reason and you ask what makes you think that you were a top candidate, Chevening and Oxford selection rates are really incomparable let's not put them together.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by UKstudent2020
Sorry but it is so an unlogical question, he/she mentioned that world #1 university had chosen his/her, it is clear that this is for a reason and you ask what makes you think that you were a top candidate, Chevening and Oxford selection rates are really incomparable let's not put them together.

Nope, that's not how it works. Oxford and other elite universities will offer to multiple people they think are qualified for the course, not just one person, it's not a unique marker of a singular talent. They will also over-offer to international candidates for Masters courses with the realistic expectation that not all of them will be able to fund their course, so that's just statistics. We don't know why Chevening didn't fund the candidate, but the success rate there is stated as 2-3% and offer rates for an Oxford MSc will be significantly higher than that.

Oxford stats at the following page were 29,091 graduate applications, total number of offers was 5,742 so that's an average 19% offer rate, though it will vary from course to course, some are quite a lot higher. Yes, an offer from Oxford is great, but it doesnt trump every other candidate automatically.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/graduate-admissions-statistics
(edited 2 years ago)
Nope, that's not how it works. Oxford and other elite universities will offer to multiple people they think are qualified for the course, not just one person, it's not a unique marker of a singular talent. They will also over-offer to international candidates for Masters courses with the realistic expectation that not all of them will be able to fund their course, so that's just statistics. We don't know why Chevening didn't fund the candidate, but the success rate there is stated as 2-3% and offer rates for an Oxford MSc will be significantly higher than that.

Oxford stats at the following page were 29,091 graduate applications, total number of offers was 5,742 so that's an average 19% offer rate, though it will vary from course to course, some are quite a lot higher. Yes, an offer from Oxford is great, but it doesnt trump every other candidate automatically.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/graduate-admissions-statistics

I kindly ask you to not mislead people, you are comparing numbers not the quality labels, we cannot take quantitative statistics into account and ignore the quality aspect in this super unlogical comparison. I am sorry, but comparing the applicants to the elite universities with the applicants to the Chevening program is really unacceptable. The ones who apply to elite universities like Oxford and Cambridge are the best of the bests, while applicants for Chevening can be anyone therefore the average number of graduate applicants to Oxford (30 000) is not the same as for Chevening (65-70 000). Let's analyse together:
1. English language requirements for Oxbridge is min 7.5 (not less than 7 for each section) / In case of Chevening candidates with 6.5 (min 5.5 for each section) in case of overall score 6.0 they also can grant the award plus you pass the present IELTS exam results if you are finalist, there were many cases in my experience when finalists just could not get sufficient IELTS score and thus did not get the award.
2. Academic requirements are min 3.5 out of 4.0 GPA normally the ones with 4.0 GPA get accepted / In case of Chevening, it is a good GPA like 3.2 can be enough or even less.
3. Oxbridge asks for writing example for most of the graduate programs, and this should be a remarkable piece of work to prove the academic writing and analytical skills / Chevening does not ask for anything like this.
4. Some Oxfdribge graduate programs ask for strong professional experience, some do not require professional affiliation / The 2 years of volunteering/internship/work experience is enough for Chevening
I think I can stop here, not even mentioning exceptional academic and social achievements that can put one candidate to Oxbridge over the other. In addition, the big majority of Oxbridge graduate students are the ones who have earned an honours degree from the other well-known university, in the case of Chevening it is not the case.
I hope I could make it clear to you.
I kindly ask you to not mislead people, you are comparing numbers not the quality labels, we cannot take quantitative statistics into account and ignore the quality aspect in this super unlogical comparison. I am sorry, but comparing the applicants to the elite universities with the applicants to the Chevening program is really unacceptable. The ones who apply to elite universities like Oxford and Cambridge are the best of the bests, while applicants for Chevening can be anyone therefore the average number of graduate applicants to Oxford (30 000) is not the same as for Chevening (65-70 000). Let's analyse together:
1. English language requirements for Oxbridge is min 7.5 (not less than 7 for each section) / In case of Chevening candidates with 6.5 (min 5.5 for each section) in case of overall score 6.0 they also can grant the award plus you pass the present IELTS exam results if you are finalist, there were many cases in my experience when finalists just could not get sufficient IELTS score and thus did not get the award.
2. Academic requirements are min 3.5 out of 4.0 GPA normally the ones with 4.0 GPA get accepted / In case of Chevening, it is a good GPA like 3.2 can be enough or even less.
3. Oxbridge asks for writing example for most of the graduate programs, and this should be a remarkable piece of work to prove the academic writing and analytical skills / Chevening does not ask for anything like this.
4. Some Oxfdribge graduate programs ask for strong professional experience, some do not require professional affiliation / The 2 years of volunteering/internship/work experience is enough for Chevening
I think I can stop here, not even mentioning exceptional academic and social achievements that can put one candidate to Oxbridge over the other. In addition, the big majority of Oxbridge graduate students are the ones who have earned an honours degree from the other well-known university, in the case of Chevening it is not the case.
I hope I could make it clear to you.

That is exaclty what I's going to write but you outstripped me. @Anonim001 keep it up! I am sure with such credentials you will reach what you aim at, and I really can't think of any reason why such cadidate as you could be rejected. Good luck!
I am sorry, but comparing the applicants to the elite universities with the applicants to the Chevening program is really unacceptable.

Au contraire, applicants to elite universities and scholarship schemes have a high degree of overlap, and minimum entry qualifications are exactly that, they are a rough guide to say to people you must hit a particular target or don’t bother applying, but are in no sense a guarantee of a successful application. Scholarship programmes and universities both want to recruit the “best” people, but they may well have different strategic goals and definitions of “best”. It’s not uncommon for a scholarship to have a specific and not purely “academic” aim, that might be developing new talent in a target population as distinct to supporting already well established individuals. At the end of the day, it IS however to a great extent a statistical process, and trying to compare min targets like 7 v 7.5 for English quals as an absolute "quality" marker is irrelevant when far more candidates than can be ever be support will exceed either score. I state this as someone who has ranked candidates for competitive UG and PG entry and several scholarship and fellowship schemes.

>> I kindly ask you to not mislead people, you are comparing numbers not the quality labels

The numbers tell their own story :smile:
Au contraire, applicants to elite universities and scholarship schemes have a high degree of overlap, and minimum entry qualifications are exactly that, they are a rough guide to say to people you must hit a particular target or don’t bother applying, but are in no sense a guarantee of a successful application. Scholarship programmes and universities both want to recruit the “best” people, but they may well have different strategic goals and definitions of “best”. It’s not uncommon for a scholarship to have a specific and not purely “academic” aim, that might be developing new talent in a target population as distinct to supporting already well established individuals. At the end of the day, it IS however to a great extent a statistical process, and trying to compare min targets like 7 v 7.5 for English quals as an absolute "quality" marker is irrelevant when far more candidates than can be ever be support will exceed either score. I state this as someone who has ranked candidates for competitive UG and PG entry and several scholarship and fellowship schemes.

>> I kindly ask you to not mislead people, you are comparing numbers not the quality labels

The numbers tell their own story :smile:

Sure, all look for the best candidate, the point is that Chevening chooses the best out of the average applicants, Oxbridge chooses the best out of the best applicants. The story that the numbers tell is that anyone can apply to Chevening for fun, for testing luck or whatever reason (not mentioning the ones with serious goals). The fact that Chevening does not require any application fee (while for elite universities it is min 75 pounds) also plays a role in these numbers so now you can calculate with simple mathematics wherefrom these acceptance rate percentages come :wink: The more applicants you have the smaller acceptance rate gets, Oxbridge cannot have many applicants as only ones who qualify to highest requirements would apply.
It should be emphasized that Chevening has a quota of awarding 5-8 candidates per each country, applicants are in rivalry with the other applicants from their own country. This is a country based competition/selection. For instance, they can prefer choosing one candidate just because he/she comes from a not developed country, did not have many opportunities for a decent education or strong professional experience, thus they can say no to a strong candidate from another country. This is not the case for Oxbridge, all strong candidates from around the world compete against each other, it does not matter where this candidate comes from, what were the conditions for this candidate, they have no such obligation that they have to choose someone from a certain country and they do not have any quota per country as Chevening. Thus the Anonim001 has been competing against all strong candidates from around the world and won this competition as a few others because she/he is undoubtedly top candidate, but lost in the competition with average, weak and top applicants from own country for whatsoever reason, of course, I understand his/her frustration considering all of this. The fact is that elite universities are very clear in what they look for as I mentioned above they have much more high requirements than any scholarship program, but you never know what exactly scholarship programs search for considering the fact that just a few out of overall Chevening awardees globally are the ones who study in Oxbridge the rest study at not so rated universities. You can also check what the Oxbridge alumni have achieved (noble prizes, high positions, etc.) and what the Chevening alumni have attained, this can be a good reflection for you.

Thus, you simply cannot compare the applicant to an elite university with the applicant to a Chevening or any other scholarship program, it is ridiculous, therefore, I see no point in debating further over something that is so obvious and no experience is needed to understand this :smile:
Based on your outstanding professional tract record and academic prowess I can authoritatively state that you were rejected because you can afford your fees and sponsor yourself to study abroad in the Uk. Sorry but chevening can not help you at the moment. There are needy candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest