The Student Room Group

time to find first job

hey, when i turn 18 how long would you say it would take for me to find my first full time job? i am planning on doing something that is on minimum wage or just above while living in a large city in the uk. how long would you say it would take for me to find one of these jobs as i am stressing about it for when i leave six form.
thankyou :smile:

(i have got 9 gcse’s at grade 4+)
Original post by Jxrdaaan
hey, when i turn 18 how long would you say it would take for me to find my first full time job? i am planning on doing something that is on minimum wage or just above while living in a large city in the uk. how long would you say it would take for me to find one of these jobs as i am stressing about it for when i leave six form.

There's no time scale, but at the moment you could be hunting for 6 months to a year. It depends on your circumstances (household costs) and skills (can you type, file, lift, drive, brick lay, use a till, got presentational skills, customer service skills etc) and then what jobs are available in an area you can reach. Plus how good you are at writing competitive applications and getting through interviews.
If its retail shouldnt take yo

Retail jobs, shouldn't take long, but be aware there is not many full time retail contracts.or may be temporary. Some supermarkets were hiring like crazy until Xmas last year, but seemed to have cooled off. Sainsburys in my city have hardly been advertising for roles.

Retail jobs, shouldn't take long, but be aware there is not many full time retail contracts.or may be temporary. Some supermarkets were hiring like crazy until Xmas last year, but seemed to have cooled off. Sainsburys in my city have hardly been advertising for roles.
It'll probably be a while at the moment, but it depends on lots of factors as above.

It depends.
It doesn't help with the pandemic meaning that there's less jobs.
Living in a city though, there's likely to be more jobs around.
As well as retail (shops supermarkets, fast food places, restaurants and cafes)- also try warehouses. Quite a few warehouses seem to be taking on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending