The Student Room Group

How easy is it to get a high grade for English lit

The reason why I have asked this because my English teacher makes me believe that it harder to get a high grade for English lit. Can anyone who reads this elaborate how easy/hard it is to get a high grade for English lit?
Reply 1
Is this for GCSE or A-level?
Reply 2
Original post by Endola
Is this for GCSE or A-level?

GCSE
make sure you memorise quotes im in year 11 but we got cag's as my school do it in year 10 i got a six but in my mock i got a 8 but it was cag's and mine was a 6 so....

make flashcards write 4-5 important quotes on a flashcard and analyse them, not too much detail (1 quote per each side) highlight key words .

what books are you doing? i cannot STRESS how important analysing each chapter is go through it make sure you understad the plot etc what happened.

cgp english lit for aqa basically is a lifesaver what exam board are you doing?

for the poems at the end use exam past papers theyre LIFE SAVERS trust me!!
Reply 4
Original post by jae jae
GCSE

I got a grade 7 in my GCSE English lit with barely any studying/revision. I have friends however who got a grade 9 - not because they studied more but they always went in with extra depth when analyzing texts. If there's one thing I learnt from them it's that you should always remember to deeply think about the greater message the writer is giving but don't belittle the small details since there's no right and wrong answer. Express any thought you have but justify it with good evidence and give a link to other elements of the text. Also, always use your teacher's feedback to make improvements because you'll remember it in the exam!
Reply 5
Original post by theoneyoulove
make sure you memorise quotes im in year 11 but we got cag's as my school do it in year 10 i got a six but in my mock i got a 8 but it was cag's and mine was a 6 so....

make flashcards write 4-5 important quotes on a flashcard and analyse them, not too much detail (1 quote per each side) highlight key words .

what books are you doing? i cannot STRESS how important analysing each chapter is go through it make sure you understad the plot etc what happened.

cgp english lit for aqa basically is a lifesaver what exam board are you doing?

for the poems at the end use exam past papers theyre LIFE SAVERS trust me!!

What about the writing itself?? (What did u include in your essays e.g embedded quotes)
Reply 6
Original post by Endola
I got a grade 7 in my GCSE English lit with barely any studying/revision. I have friends however who got a grade 9 - not because they studied more but they always went in with extra depth when analyzing texts. If there's one thing I learnt from them it's that you should always remember to deeply think about the greater message the writer is giving but don't belittle the small details since there's no right and wrong answer. Express any thought you have but justify it with good evidence and give a link to other elements of the text. Also, always use your teacher's feedback to make improvements because you'll remember it in the exam!

Thank you so much x
Reply 7
Original post by jae jae
Thank you so much x

No worries :smile:
Original post by jae jae
What about the writing itself?? (What did u include in your essays e.g embedded quotes)

i used mr bruff and memorised loads of bits from grade 8/9 essays really . Most of the content is the same in each question every year as long as you know how to structure it properly youre good
Reply 9
Original post by theoneyoulove
i used mr bruff and memorised loads of bits from grade 8/9 essays really . Most of the content is the same in each question every year as long as you know how to structure it properly youre good

Alright! thank you so much x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending