Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
This thread is intended as a space to discuss and keep up to date with ongoing changes and decisions that dental schools are taking with regards to the COVID-19 pandemic and it's impact on applicants and dental students.

Please post reliable and verified information (with cited sources if possible) to minimise speculation, assumptions and the associated stress of "guessing".

At the time of writing, Scottish Dental schools have deferred 2021 graduation until 2022 with every student in all years expected to repeat the academic year. Press releases Safety net delivered for dental students as 2021 graduation deferred (bda.org)
  • No decision has been publicised about the impact this has on 2021 applicants.
  • No other dental schools have declared changes to 2021 graduation.
igoktug
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, in an email I got from Glasgow university it said the following,

"...However, there is a possibility that in the worst-case scenario it may not be possible for students to gain the appropriate amount of clinical experience in the normal time-frame and we may be required to introduce an extra year of studentship into the BDS degree course to allow our existing students to achieve the clinical competencies required before progressing. If that becomes necessary, then we will need to defer entry of those selected to join the course in 2021 until 2022, since dental training facilities do not have the physical capacity to accommodate double years of students."

since they already confirmed the graduation deferral, the entries would also be deferred if the email is still accurate. (I got this email before the graduation deferrals were announced). That being said, this doesn't mean that the entries for Glasgow are 100% going to be deferred, so please take this with a grain of salt.
Last edited by igoktug; 4 months ago
ITS2019
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am a first year student at Dundee and the senior executive team has informed us that there will be no intake of new students this year(2021). Those who have accepted offers will join the dental school in 2022. Additionally, there may be another intake of some students next year but the overall cohort size will not be larger than other years. I suspect Glasgow dental school may do something similar.
Student1918
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ITS2019)
I am a first year student at Dundee and the senior executive team has informed us that there will be no intake of new students this year(2021). Those who have accepted offers will join the dental school in 2022. Additionally, there may be another intake of some students next year but the overall cohort size will not be larger than other years. I suspect Glasgow dental school may do something similar.
Oh god.
scienceislifeyo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
this is dundee! i emailed them friday and that’s what they’ve said. nothing is 100% yet so there’s no point making people worry
Attached files
ITS2019
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by scienceislifeyo)
this is dundee! i emailed them friday and that’s what they’ve said. nothing is 100% yet so there’s no point making people worry
I apologise, I didn't intend to alarm anyone. I have only passed on what we've been told. It makes sense as the dental school has limited capacity therefore it is just not possible to have two sets of first years, this is without even factoring in the impact of COVID regulations on in-person teaching which certainly does not help the situation.
igoktug
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Has anyone heard from unis outside of Scotland about this situation?
Josh burns
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
frick sake i dont wanna do a gap year
youngsiward03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't think all UK unis will follow because some unis may have given their students clinical experience. Like I know Birmingham have allowed their students to still get their clinical experience done so hopefully they wont do it but I don't know about the rest of the unis.
ITS2019
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by youngsiward03)
I don't think all UK unis will follow because some unis may have given their students clinical experience. Like I know Birmingham have allowed their students to still get their clinical experience done so hopefully they wont do it but I don't know about the rest of the unis.
Yes, every university is different. One big factor that determined the amount of clinical work that was done was how compatible the building was for COVID regulations. Some dental schools have more modern buildings which are a lot safer and thus better during the pandemic. I do believe that some universities will have an intake for 2021 and some will not.
np13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Has anyone heard from Aberdeen at all in terms of what they might be doing?
Last edited by np13; 4 months ago
DivinCloud03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
sorry posted on the wrong thread my bad 😭
Last edited by DivinCloud03; 4 months ago
rachelxclark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’ve sort of accepted now that I’ll need to take a year out in 2021/22, and so I’m starting to look into what I can spend my time doing instead. Anyone else got any ideas? I’m actually kinda coming round to the idea now after looking into some options lol.
scienceislifeyo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by np13)
Has anyone heard from Aberdeen at all in terms of what they might be doing?
this may be useful to you
Attached files
np13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by scienceislifeyo)
this may be useful to you
Yes I did see this thanks so much though! I just wondered if anyone had heard about what they were planning on doing for this years applicants, but seems like most of them are still uncertain at the moment!
scienceislifeyo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by np13)
Yes I did see this thanks so much though! I just wondered if anyone had heard about what they were planning on doing for this years applicants, but seems like most of them are still uncertain at the moment!
yeah from what i know, no university has made an official announcement about 2021 incoming applicants!
GradSoftEng2021
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey has anyone got any updates??
np13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aberdeen have just confirmed they are deferring offers to September 2022.
Paranoiaa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Same as Dundee and Glasgow ^^^
igoktug
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yep I just got the email from Dundee - they are deferring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads