The Student Room Group

Genetic condition

Well, I think I have PCOS.... I have mostly all symptoms apart from bold hair or whatever and I think that as my mum had Preeclampsia when she had me, I think it could have linked to that and maybe it's a similar condition as PCOS can cause high blood pressure which is what Preeclampsia is.
Reply 1
I'm not a doctor, just try to help. Both are and could be caused by genetics factor.

Question, are you currently pregnant? If it is, then it might be pre-eclampsia (as this usually occurred during pregnancy). If not, then you might get PCOS. Question, are you in stress or something weighting you mentally? It might be caused by stress that the menstrual period or blood pressure, etc went (a bit) 'abnormal'.

Plus, don't jump in to conclusion ahead. Even if the symptoms match, the result might be differ. It'd be better to visit a doctor to make a more accurate diagnosis. Hope you'd be healthy.
PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrom and has a similar condition called PCO which is cysts on the ovaries.

It is a hormonal imbalance condition which could be linked to genetics but there hasn't been any strong evidence to say it is, other than if another member of your family (mother, sister etc) has it then you are at an increased risk of developing it.

Preeclampsia and PCOS aren't a similar condition, although those with PCOS are at a higher risk of developing preeclampsia when pregnant. Preeclampsia isn't just high blood pressure, it's a variety of symptoms linked to pregnancy with high blood pressure being an early symptom of it. High blood pressure is called Hypertension. PCOS doesn't cause high blood pressure, it puts you at a higher risk of developing it later in life. If you're still young and have high blood pressure you NEED to speak to a GP about it.

PCOS is a lifelong condition with no cure but can be managed through medication, diet and exercise.

PCOS can affect every woman differently, with varying severities of each symptom. Some women don't suffer from hirsutism (excess hair) whereas others have it to an extreme. Some women find that they can't conceive whereas others fall pregnant easily. Some have cysts on their ovaries and others don't.

I was diagnosed with it at 30, having fought for a diagnosis for 6 years and believe I've had it since puberty. My periods are irregular, I have excess hair, difficulty losing weight, insulin resistance, darken skin on certain areas of my body and it took almost 2 years to conceive my son.

If you think you might have it then talk to your GP. They'll do a blood test to check your hormone balances, PCOS is confirmed with an elevated level of testosterone - however, I'm proof that you can have PCOS without the elevated levels as that is what delayed my diagnosis, despite having all the symptoms my levels were slightly under the diagnosis level.
Speak to you GP?

Quick Reply

Latest