Advice for trying alcohol for the first time

Watch
Hannahjojo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m 21 years old and I’m considering trying alcohol for the first time. I wouldn’t want to get drunk but would only want to drink enough to be relaxed. Is an alcohol percentage of 5-11 percent enough to get me relaxed but not drunk since I’m a beginner or would it not make a difference ?? .I also fear the smell of alcohol , do mixed cocktail drinks with a low alcohol percentage have a smell ?? I wouldn’t like to smell of alcohol. Since I’m a beginner I’m worried I would get drunk and act a fool.
Pedrex2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If it's the smell that puts you off then you could try a cocktail, sex on the beach is a good one and it smells good and can't taste the alcohol (providing you don't overdo it on the alcohol). Or ciders are a good place to start and helps builds up your tolerance to alcohol in the future.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just drink it slowly.
.Dezer.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hypothetically speaking of course, how many budweiser's will it take to get drunk if your a first timer? Hypothetically of course
Last edited by .Dezer.; 5 months ago
Hannahjojo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Pedrex2000)
If it's the smell that puts you off then you could try a cocktail, sex on the beach is a good one and it smells good and can't taste the alcohol (providing you don't overdo it on the alcohol). Or ciders are a good place to start and helps builds up your tolerance to alcohol in the future.
Do cocktails have an alcohol smell and would a cocktail that contains 5-11% alcohol have an affect on me ?? also would it make me vomit ??
caramina
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think 5-6% cider should be enough to ease you in and give you a relaxed feeling
Pedrex2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hannahjojo)
Do cocktails have an alcohol smell and would a cocktail that contains 5-11% alcohol have an affect on me ?? also would it make me vomit ??
Genuinely cocktails usually have a good smell due to the fruit in them, though some can have a strong smell it just depends which one you go for. Like I said sex on the beach is the least alcoholic one so is a good one to start with imo you won't notice it is alcoholic it tastes just like juice
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
For the smell, depends on what's in it but probably not. A rum (or any other spirit really) and coke mainly tastes of coke.

Vomiting only really happens if you have a lot of alcohol quite quickly. You'd have to be actually trying to get drunk in order to vomit. A cocktail that's 5-11% alcohol would only really contain as much alcohol as a can of beer at most, and that will not get you drunk.
Lshort17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Go for a rekorderlig cider or mix Sourz with some lemonade - sourz smells vary with the flavour but you cant smell the alcohol
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
just have one drink! The problems arise if you drink loads, all the mess and none of the joy! careful with cocktails, it is easy to think you are drinking a soft drink and you aren't.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m 21 years old and I’m considering trying alcohol for the first time. I wouldn’t want to get drunk but would only want to drink enough to be relaxed. Is an alcohol percentage of 5-11 percent enough to get me relaxed but not drunk since I’m a beginner or would it not make a difference ?? .I also fear the smell of alcohol , do mixed cocktail drinks with a low alcohol percentage have a smell ?? I wouldn’t like to smell of alcohol. Since I’m a beginner I’m worried I would get drunk and act a fool.

The alcohol percentage isn’t as important as the quantity of the drinks. I’ve seen ladies drink 3 glasses of wine at 11% abv and act clearly drunk and those are people who are used to it!

If you’re just having one drink to try it out then it’s not going to cause you to get drunk. Try a fruit cider like the Rekorderlig range - they have mango and passion fruit, strawberry and lime, wild berries. One of those will not get you drunk.

It tastes like fizzy pop too so it’s easy to drink. Cocktails are good but can be high alcohol depending on who’s making them and you have to know what ingredients are in them to be sure. Like if you ordered a Long Island iced tea for instance you’d probably keel over. 😂
Lshort17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
The alcohol percentage isn’t as important as the quantity of the drinks. I’ve seen ladies drink 3 glasses of wine at 11% abv and act clearly drunk and those are people who are used to it!

If you’re just having one drink to try it out then it’s not going to cause you to get drunk. Try a fruit cider like the Rekorderlig range - they have mango and passion fruit, strawberry and lime, wild berries. One of those will not get you drunk.

It tastes like fizzy pop too so it’s easy to drink. Cocktails are good but can be high alcohol depending on who’s making them and you have to know what ingredients are in them to be sure. Like if you ordered a Long Island iced tea for instance you’d probably keel over. 😂
I love the Peach and Apricot and the strawberry and lime Rekorderlig 🤤🥴
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yeah seconding the shouts for stuff like flavoured ciders, defo a good low alcohol % option and relatable flavours. Beer is also low alcohol but I tend not to recommend because the flavour is very unlike anything non alcoholic. Basic spirit+mixers are good as well as an introduction to cocktails. Vodka+lemonade, rum+coke, anything+ginger beer.

Thing with cocktails is they vary MASSIVELY in %, some are very high alcohol content (like the above mentioned Long Island Iced Tea), some are much more non alcohol based like a sex on the beach. Just make sure you know what you're getting if you get a cocktail
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Eat something like pasta or rice a couple hours before.
Go slow & steady,
Perhaps don’t do shots day 1.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lshort17)
I love the Peach and Apricot and the strawberry and lime Rekorderlig 🤤🥴

Ooh I haven’t tried the peach and apricot one ... I’ll have to keep a look out for it! 😎

Strawberry and lime is great and I’m a big fan of mango and raspberry
Lshort17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ooh I haven’t tried the peach and apricot one ... I’ll have to keep a look out for it! 😎

Strawberry and lime is great and I’m a big fan of mango and raspberry
Should be able to find it in asda. Ah i like that one but find the others much better haha. Thats all i drink at uni. They are too easy to guzzle 😂😂
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lshort17)
Should be able to find it in asda. Ah i like that one but find the others much better haha. Thats all i drink at uni. They are too easy to guzzle 😂😂

Oh god yes ... they’re far too drinkable! They mess me in the summer months because I drink them like pop rather than alcohol. It’s too easy to forget they’re still like 4.5% or something
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Jojo driving around with an L plate and he ain’t even got a provisional license. Watch me whip this skeng watch his head tilt back that’s nothing but silence. I think that could help you in drinking alcohol since my first time did lead to a lot of vomiting. Try salt for starters and take it from there
Lshort17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Oh god yes ... they’re far too drinkable! They mess me in the summer months because I drink them like pop rather than alcohol. It’s too easy to forget they’re still like 4.5% or something
Haha yeh exactly
username5640772
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I got some advice, don't drink it, easy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads