The Student Room Group

Step up to Social Work 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sully29
Congrats!
Up there I posted my first post answering a load of different questions, and I wrote about timescales up there. Hope it’s helpful x

Great thank-you! I'm glad I pushed myself to apply haha. Thanks for the help 😁 x
Original post by brickbat
I have no current experience in the last 5 years, i have been a carer for my husband who had a stroke 4 years ago - just as i was about to return to work after 18months of maternity leave. I do, however, have a 1st class honours degree in youth work and 11 years of working with vulnerable young children and families. Do you think my lack of active experience in the last 5 years will hold me back?

I emailed the social work coordinator for Islington about this, and she said it doesn't have to be recent. As long as you have six months, that's enough.
Original post by Sully29
That’s plenty of experience! They also encourage you to use your real life experiences too. My degree was completely irrelevant, then I was working in primary schools with vulnerable kids and I got it :smile: some one else was a vet as well. Just stick to the question and the word count and go for it x

Hi @Sully29. Thanks so much for your generous replies! Was there a particular method (e.g. STAR) you used for answering the questions?
Reply 23
Original post by shanfara
Hi @Sully29. Thanks so much for your generous replies! Was there a particular method (e.g. STAR) you used for answering the questions?

Absolutely yes yes for assessment/interview use STAR, it’s great. Situation, task, action, result, and then bonus r, reflection! They love a bit of reflection! What I found that helped me, and everyone’s different though, was I looked at each pcf, and wrote and example of how I’d met each one in my work/life, using star, then memorised them loosely haha then I could use them for my interview. I’m rubbish on the spot so have to do lots of prep like that. Just an idea for anyone :smile: I also messed up one of my answers, and at the end I apologised and said ‘on reflection I can see where I went wrong, I now know I would have said this this and this, if I had time to re answer’. They wouldn’t let me fully respond with a new answer but just a quick one liner helped I think!
Original post by Sully29
Absolutely yes yes for assessment/interview use STAR, it’s great. Situation, task, action, result, and then bonus r, reflection! They love a bit of reflection! What I found that helped me, and everyone’s different though, was I looked at each pcf, and wrote and example of how I’d met each one in my work/life, using star, then memorised them loosely haha then I could use them for my interview. I’m rubbish on the spot so have to do lots of prep like that. Just an idea for anyone :smile: I also messed up one of my answers, and at the end I apologised and said ‘on reflection I can see where I went wrong, I now know I would have said this this and this, if I had time to re answer’. They wouldn’t let me fully respond with a new answer but just a quick one liner helped I think!

Thanks! Where can I find the PCF for children's social work? Do you have a link?
Reply 25
Thanks! Where can I find the PCF for children's social work? Do you have a link?

Google: BASW PCF (Professional Capabilities Framework) Social Work. Then find your way to the entering training version/readiness to practice, something like that

Pcf is what we are are mapped and measured against in social work. You have to evidence you can do it all in order to qualify :smile:
Original post by Sully29
Google: BASW PCF (Professional Capabilities Framework) Social Work. Then find your way to the entering training version/readiness to practice, something like that

Pcf is what we are are mapped and measured against in social work. You have to evidence you can do it all in order to qualify :smile:

Is it this one? Sorry to sound so stupid!
Reply 27
Is it this one? Sorry to sound so stupid!

image.jpg Point of entry to training
Original post by Sully29
image.jpg Point of entry to training

Thanks so much! I'm just reading through it now. I guess the point is to try and weave into the application answers how you demonstrate each one, and use the keywords so they can see you're demonstrating them?
Reply 29
Yep! But also your personality:smile:
Original post by Sully29
Yep! But also your personality:smile:

I don't have a personality. I suck.
Reply 31
Hey everyone. Hope you’re all keeping safe and well!
Has anyone applied from Northamptonshire? I submitted my application last week but have just panicked seeing other comments about the Uni part... I assumed that Northampton Uni would be where we’d study but now I’m not so sure as it looks like Nottingham Uni is the central one.... Does anybody know at all?
Best of luck with your applications! X
Reply 32
I’ve applied 😬....keep checking emails but we got some time before we hear back. I had IT issues with completing the first part of the application form but sorted it in the end. Good luck!
Reply 33
Just curious to know if anyone has any idea just how many people actually apply for this programme? Would be very interested to know. Thanks to anyone who may advise! :-) I have applied and think I've seen in this thread that around 10,000 apply??? is this right
Reply 34
Original post by Ruby79
Just curious to know if anyone has any idea just how many people actually apply for this programme? Would be very interested to know. Thanks to anyone who may advise! :-) I have applied and think I've seen in this thread that around 10,000 apply??? is this right

The other thread with ‘cohort 7 2022’ on the end has more comments on with answers to stuff like this. If that’s more helpful! But yes around 10k for around 650. But that was last cohort.
Reply 35
wow..well done you on getting through! And thank you very much for the reply and all the advice on here. Just a waiting game now then.... 🤞🏼🤞🏼
I have no idea how many apply, or how many places are funded in total. I think the think ahead programme got additional funding this cohort
I have also applied this year! Does anyone know when we will hear anything - it seems a little vague!
Reply 38
@Becousse9 apparently end of May more likely based on last intake..😳
Thanks 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Quick Reply

Latest