The Student Room Group

2 Degrees in 4 years - is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

In your initial post you say that "I’ve seen on UCAS that it’s possible to do two degrees alongside each other but this may vary between each university." So, naturally, I decided to try and check that and what I found from UCAS regarding two degrees is this: "At most universities, you are able to study at least two subjects at the same time. For example, you might be able to study a course in both English and history. Sometimes, you can even study three, so it’s worth checking with each university directly. Studying more than one subject is a great idea if you can’t choose between those you like best."

That is not saying that you can study two degrees at once. That is saying that you can study two subjects at once which is a completely different thing. That's just essentially making clear that fact that joint honours programmes exist e.g. I've applied to do a single degree next year but I will be studying two subjects (Creative Writing and History) because it's a joint honours. My studying will be 50% of each subject (two modules for each, each term).

What I'd advise you do is look into whether there is potential for a joint honours at the university you intend to go to regarding the subjects that you're interested in - or even if there's just opportunity to study a few modules from one as part of the other. It's not feasible to study two whole degrees at once though, it's just not a thing.
(edited 3 years ago)
Terrible idea and practically impossible for the reasons everyone has already mentioned. Clashes between lectures and other activities would be the most significant factor but also there’s no way you’d be able to deal with the workload of both at once, especially in the final years of the degree where it’s the most difficult and intense. You have to pick one or do one after the other.
Of course even if you could you’d have to self fund one of the degrees.

My degree is 2 years long (doing law as a graduate) so 2 degrees in 4 years is possible but one after another.
Original post by yeye21
Well I would be aiming for a first for both and trying my best to get there

and you would fail in that endeavour even if you went to say Solent and Southampton it would still take you a lot of time getting from uni to uni because you're bound by busses.
Original post by jonathanemptage
and you would fail in that endeavour even if you went to say Solent and Southampton it would still take you a lot of time getting from uni to uni because you're bound by busses.

I mean if it's online then it's more doable
Original post by yeye21
I mean if it's online then it's more doable

only slightly your still looking at 70 hour week (if not longer) when you think most jobs and courses are based around a 35 hour week it's big ask.
Original post by jonathanemptage
only slightly your still looking at 70 hour week (if not longer) when you think most jobs and courses are based around a 35 hour week it's big ask.

people in investment banking sometimes work 100 hour weeks

anything is possible
Original post by yeye21

anything is possible

Sometimes working those hours is one thing. Breaking the working time directive over a longer period is something else completely (and incredibly stupid).

Plus IB pays a bit better than studying two degrees at once
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by yeye21

anything is possible

You have noticed how everyone else on this thread has said this is a bad idea right you’ll do what you want ultimately but really just take one after the other it’ll be much better for your enjoyment (because uni is fun) and you’ll actually have a social life, not to mention your mental health because while uni is fun it can also be incredibly stressful at times too.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 29
Hi guys, just want to say thank you for the response.

Both courses are bachelors in science and neither are available as masters in science. I also wouldn’t get a second student loan for a second bachelors in science in the UK.

My only complaint or worry about your response are how negative some of you have been to others. I get sometimes it’s hard to explain things to others and sometimes people will be so set on things they don’t understand why. It is possible to do some degrees at the same time depending upon the university, funding for you and the courses. Please be kinder to each other in what is already a difficult time. Thank you:smile:
But it isn’t possible. Only allowed time is a joint honours at the same university/ affiliated university so they do all the admin to avoid clashes.

Else it’s just not possible. University 2 would not accept you if doing another degree elsewhere.
It’s not possible but I’ve enjoyed the thread regardless.
Original post by JApple
Hi guys, just want to say thank you for the response.

Both courses are bachelors in science and neither are available as masters in science. I also wouldn’t get a second student loan for a second bachelors in science in the UK.

My only complaint or worry about your response are how negative some of you have been to others. I get sometimes it’s hard to explain things to others and sometimes people will be so set on things they don’t understand why. It is possible to do some degrees at the same time depending upon the university, funding for you and the courses. Please be kinder to each other in what is already a difficult time. Thank you:smile:

It's not possible. This has been explained in detail and repeatedly to you. This isn't negativity, it's reality. It may also be the case that there are alternatives that combine the two courses, or the aspects about them that appeal to you, which you aren't aware of or hadn't considered; without actually telling anyone here what the courses are and why you're interested in them, there's no way for people to potentially make suggestions for such alternatives.

However, first and foremost, I'm not aware of any uni which permits you to be registered on two programmes simultaneously. Secondly, it's not possible to apply through UCAS while holding an offer for another university, and if you apply to both and put one as your firm and one as your insurance, then meet the requirements for your firm, your insurance choice is automatically rejected as your firm choice becomes an unconditional offer, as far as I am aware. Thirdly, you cannot get SFE funding for more than one programme at a time, and £9250 a year in tuition fees is a lot of money to come up with even if you did somehow get permission by all unis involved to pursue both programmes at once and found a way to apply to both of them and accept both offers.

At the end of the day, life is about making decisions, and then you have to deal with whatever the outcome of those decisions are. Sometimes you make the right choice, sometimes you don't. You can't hedge your bets constantly by trying to do everything at once, even if you were some kind of superhuman that wouldn't be burned out by it. And the reality is, you are only human, and if you try to do that you are basically guaranteed to hit burnout point pretty quickly. So spend some time thinking about each course, what you would do with each individually, what your interests are in each individually, write out pros and cons, whatever helps you process - then make a choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending