The Student Room Group

Step up to social work cohort 7 2022

Scroll to see replies

It hasn’t shut early. The initial deadline was 7th April but some partnerships have extended their deadline to 14th April. If you click on the apply link on the SUTSW page it shows which partnerships are still open for applications. Maybe you could apply to one of those if they are close enough.
Some one above me posted some closed on the 6th.
Apologies, I didn’t see that post about Yorkshire closing in the 6th. I agree that is unfair. Are you able to apply to another partnership that has extended their deadline date?
Wow so they just closed on the 6th at midnight ? That’s really unfair on the last minute people who could have worked on their applications for weeks
Original post by Laura25x
I'm also curious about how many places Grater Manchester may have..

Manchester have around 30 places, a couple less or more depending on funding etc.
There was around 650 place’s total last year, and 10,000 applications!
Original post by Sully29
Manchester have around 30 places, a couple less or more depending on funding etc.
There was around 650 place’s total last year, and 10,000 applications!

Wow! I can't believe it's less than 1 in 10 applicants who get a place. It's going to be hugely competitive isn't it.
Eastern Region only had 40 places last cohort and well over 300 applicants so i think it worked out around 8% of applicants got a place on the course.

It's been pushed in my local authority so I don't imagine those figures will improve :frown:
Original post by Ellerz29
Hey! Submitted my application a few weeks ago. I've applied for Yorkshire and Humber region, hoping for Hull City Council or East Riding Council. Anyone else applied for these areas? Does anyone know what the assessment centres are like? As in what things we will be doing? I read somewhere about role play and a written essay type assessment. Thank you and good luck with your applications ☺️

Hey! I applied for the same! I’m so nervous after reading how competitive it is to get on it!
Every time I check this page and see a notification I'm thinking someone has heard back and been invited to the assessment stage.. is this normal? 😂 I think Step Up to Social Work programme is extremely competitive but once they swift through the application and reject those who don't meet eligibility criteria etc the numbers should go down.. let's worry about getting through to the assessment stage and once we're through we can start preparing examples and reciting the capabilities framework 🤗 x
I feel the same @Laura25x yes your right I’m sure the numbers will reduce quite a bit after rejections. I wonder tho how many they invite to AC, likely depending on how many places available? I will be absolutely gutted if I don’t make it!
Original post by Millie259
I feel the same @Laura25x yes your right I’m sure the numbers will reduce quite a bit after rejections. I wonder tho how many they invite to AC, likely depending on how many places available? I will be absolutely gutted if I don’t make it!

I mean not to make us more anxious but if one out of ten people get a place my guess would be around 6,000-6,500 people? 😱 But let's take it one step at a time ☺️
(edited 2 years ago)
Well u did a good job at making me more anxious 🙈 I would be so curious to know how many make it through to AC. Do u know how many spaces your regional partnership are offering? I hope we hear by the end of this month whether we made it through to AC!

I’m assuming the AC will be online? I wonder about study next year whether it’s likely that will be a blended approach or all face to face?
Original post by Millie259
Well u did a good job at making me more anxious 🙈 I would be so curious to know how many make it through to AC. Do u know how many spaces your regional partnership are offering? I hope we hear by the end of this month whether we made it through to AC!

I’m assuming the AC will be online? I wonder about study next year whether it’s likely that will be a blended approach or all face to face?

I've applied for Greater Manchester so around 30 places (someone mentioned this previously) and with the current restrictions etc I think AC will take place online. On a side note, I've also applied to Uni and received an email recently saying that some courses will be delivered online.. still waiting for confirmation as to which courses will be strictly online, or a blend of online and face-to-face.
Original post by Stephbee
Hey! I applied for the same! I’m so nervous after reading how competitive it is to get on it!

I'm nervous too, I think I've got as much chance as anyone else! There will be some who don't meet the criteria or who's circumstances change too. Any tips on remembering the framework work we're marked against?
I'm nervous too, I think I've got as much chance as anyone else! There will be some who don't meet the criteria or who's circumstances change too. Any tips on remembering the framework work we're marked against?

I’m not gonna lie I don’t have any tips on remembering it🙈 but think I’m gonna buy a social work theory and practice guide by Siobhan Maclean so I can gain a bit more knowledge and understanding.
Original post by Stephbee
I’m not gonna lie I don’t have any tips on remembering it🙈 but think I’m gonna buy a social work theory and practice guide by Siobhan Maclean so I can gain a bit more knowledge and understanding.

I've ordered a book that was recommended on this thread. I know bits, but not a lot!

I'm going to think of examples of how I meet each capability and keep revisiting it weekly so by keeping looking at it, it will eventually become really familiar (I hope). 🤞
My book arrived today, got this one! image-d982bf9f-1257-4641-a2a7-ae867e5c503b1613925294430941223-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Yeah I recommended understanding social work preparing for practice, Neil Thompson, for sure.
I would read over the Children Act 1989, skim it have an idea of it.
Read The Working Together to safeguard children 18/20, it breaks down the role of the children’s social worker.
If it’s adults, go to the SCIE website, read their guidance, and also the Care Act 2014.
Also know your Human Rights!
And then anything on community care website too :smile:
Thanks for those tips for how to prepare Sully. That's really helpful. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest