The Student Room Group

Step up to social work cohort 7 2022

Scroll to see replies

When you say south coast are you referring to Surrey and south london?
Original post by pgce2013
Congrats to all that got in. I didn’t get in and think the assessment centre was unfair and very elitist as a BAME person I am disappointed. They should look at recruiting from the communities that they serve.

I’m so sorry to hear that.
You’re right, people in need of support deserve to see people like them supporting them.

Which areas did you apply for?
Original post by Gemma887
Hampshire :smile: thank you!

That's awesome 😁 celebrations tonight. Xx
Congrats to all that got in. I didn’t get in and think the assessment centre was unfair and very elitist as a BAME person I am disappointed. They should look at recruiting from the communities that they serve.

I’d like to hear more about why you felt this? If you feel comfortable sharing.

Im sorry you didn’t get through
I have had an offer from South Coast to work within West Sussex, anyone else?
We havent been asked to accept or reject at this point this is a provisional offer and waiting for the full offer to come through from Capita.
I'm the same. I have very little work for Sept but don't want to secure more then let people down.
Original post by robeccap
Same here, I want to make plans for the future but can't really until I know for sure. I don't think I was successful but just want to know now 😬

I’m very sorry to hear this and hopefully other opportunities with come your way. If you don’t mind me asking, why do you feel this way? Im also a BAME candidate waiting to hear back. Also what region/council did you apply to?

Can I ask why you think it’s elitist?
Original post by CM9210
I’d like to hear more about why you felt this? If you feel comfortable sharing.

Im sorry you didn’t get through

A few things on the assessment centre and wasn’t given a fair chance - don’t think it’s right to discuss it on here - it is what it is - hopefully next time they are more fair with all candidates and no favouritism and none are shunned - very surprised as social work is all about equality.

I was mentored by an ex social worker and was warned about the process and that it wouldn’t be fair. I applied for the West Midlands. It was as if the outcome was already decided. I do feel BAME candidates need to be given fairer chances and not looked down on.
Original post by Crashtag
I’m so sorry to hear that.
You’re right, people in need of support deserve to see people like them supporting them.

Which areas did you apply for?

West Midlands
Original post by teets_94x
I’m very sorry to hear this and hopefully other opportunities with come your way. If you don’t mind me asking, why do you feel this way? Im also a BAME candidate waiting to hear back. Also what region/council did you apply to?

Good luck - West Midlands hopefully your region will be more fair
Original post by brickbat
Can I ask why you think it’s elitist?

They already had predetermined candidates that were favoured - an ex social worker friend had warned me about this.
Reply 1792
Has anyone from the west London alliance heard anything?
Original post by Jadeorosz
I have had an offer from South Coast to work within West Sussex, anyone else?
We havent been asked to accept or reject at this point this is a provisional offer and waiting for the full offer to come through from Capita.

Was West Sussex your first choice?
Original post by 23Kay
Has anyone from the west London alliance heard anything?

No have you? I’ve been checking emails all day
Original post by alkhansa
Good luck! I hope they don't make us wait until Friday lol. What day was your AC? Mine was on 30th June.

Hey for some reason I can’t respond to your message, I haven’t heard anything back. Refreshed my emails so many times today 🥺. If I don’t hear anything by Friday I’ll just assume I haven’t gotten through x
Original post by Lacey1987
Was West Sussex your first choice?

Yes it was!
Yes it was!
Reply 1798
Original post by CM9210
No have you? I’ve been checking emails all day

Nope I haven’t, I don’t think they got back to anyone yet.
Original post by teets_94x
Hey for some reason I can’t respond to your message, I haven’t heard anything back. Refreshed my emails so many times today 🥺. If I don’t hear anything by Friday I’ll just assume I haven’t gotten through x

Me too! Another day of refreshing emails begins...

Quick Reply

Latest