Calorie intake with exercise

Watch
morgan.heather
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi please could you help me understand calorie intake? Say I need 2000 calories to maintain my weight. Does that mean I need to eat 2000 along with the exercise I do or can I eat more than 2000 and use exercise to reduce this back to 2000?
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends, how did u come to the number of 2000?
Colem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can calculate your needed calories using a bmr (basal metabolic rate) calculator online. This will calculate the minimum number of calories your body needs each day in order to function properly. If you exceed this number of calories without any exercise, you will eventually put on weight.
If you eat below these calories (healthiest minimum being 1200) then you will lose weight over time even without exercise.

To answer your question: yes, technically you can exercise and eat more than your bmr calories and still lose weight. But only if your calories out is greater than calories in. Although, I really recommend to not exceed your bmr calories even when exercising otherwise you’re just slowing your weight loss down by eating back all those calories you had just burned off.
But of course going over your calories by only a little bit won’t hurt as long as you are still exercising.
morgan.heather
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colem)
You can calculate your needed calories using a bmr (basal metabolic rate) calculator online. This will calculate the minimum number of calories your body needs each day in order to function properly. If you exceed this number of calories without any exercise, you will eventually put on weight.
If you eat below these calories (healthiest minimum being 1200) then you will lose weight over time even without exercise.

To answer your question: yes, technically you can exercise and eat more than your bmr calories and still lose weight. But only if your calories out is greater than calories in. Although, I really recommend to not exceed your bmr calories even when exercising otherwise you’re just slowing your weight loss down by eating back all those calories you had just burned off.
But of course going over your calories by only a little bit won’t hurt as long as you are still exercising.
Okay thankyou. So I need around 2000 usually to maintain weigh. But if I start consuming 1600 to loose weight, would I be able to eat 2000 and then burn 400 in exercise?

So whether eat 1600 or eat more and lower that with exercise is it still a calorie deficit?
Colem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by morgan.heather)
Okay thankyou. So I need around 2000 usually to maintain weigh. But if I start consuming 1600 to loose weight, would I be able to eat 2000 and then burn 400 in exercise?

So whether eat 1600 or eat more and lower that with exercise is it still a calorie deficit?
Yes pretty much
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi please could you help me understand calorie intake? Say I need 2000 calories to maintain my weight. Does that mean I need to eat 2000 along with the exercise I do or can I eat more than 2000 and use exercise to reduce this back to 2000?
Weight loss is just when your energy output is more than your energy intake. So if we take your 2000 cals for example and say you had a very inactive lifestyle but maintained at 2000 cals then your energy intake and expenditure (cals in vs cals out) would be equal. If you then started to move more, you'd be burning more energy so that would tip the balance. Similarly if you didn't move more but ate less, the energy balance would tip towards burning more than consuming.

In your question 2000 along with the exercise would put you in deficit (weight loss). Eating more then exercising back to 2000 would keep you at the same balance so you'd maintain.
morgan.heather
Rep:
?
(Original post by PollyParrot23)
Weight loss is just when your energy output is more than your energy intake. So if we take your 2000 cals for example and say you had a very inactive lifestyle but maintained at 2000 cals then your energy intake and expenditure (cals in vs cals out) would be equal. If you then started to move more, you'd be burning more energy so that would tip the balance. Similarly if you didn't move more but ate less, the energy balance would tip towards burning more than consuming.

In your question 2000 along with the exercise would put you in deficit (weight loss). Eating more then exercising back to 2000 would keep you at the same balance so you'd maintain.
That really helps, thankyou so much
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When you calculated your maintenance to be 2,000 calories did you include the exercise you’re doing in the calculation?
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Colem)

Total daily energy expenditure, not BMR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%