Advanced Higher Chemistry overlaps my AH Maths in the same coloumn

Watch
physicsanamoly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

As title says I am in a situation where I need AH chem and AH maths, but they're in the same column. I'm picking for my S6 choices. For my other subjects I am picking Eng. science, AH physics as well.

Is anyone else in this dilemma?
studentsophie07
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would say it depends what career path you are going down. I would have a look at university courses you are thinking of taking as it very rarely asks for specific adv higher (sometimes it will say you require 2 advanced highers).
I do adv maths this year and it’s very good, it is more general and will help with more university courses ranging from medicine to finance to engineering however chemistry I would say is more specific. Especially as you are doing AH physics it shows you are good at science. Then again adv physics and adv maths may have some overlap.
BlackLab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would contact the Universities you are looking to apply to and ask their advice on what subjects are needed for your course and if dropping chemistry or maths for a year will impact your application and what they recommend.

Then speak to your school and see if there is any flexibility.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by physicsanamoly)
Hi all,

As title says I am in a situation where I need AH chem and AH maths, but they're in the same column. I'm picking for my S6 choices. For my other subjects I am picking Eng. science, AH physics as well.

Is anyone else in this dilemma?
Surely Maths is in more than one column? It makes no sense for a school not to allow both to be chosen.
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Surely Maths is in more than one column? It makes no sense for a school not to allow both to be chosen.
At advanced higher level? You must be joking lol.
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’d agree with the others! Contact the universities you’re thinking of applying to.
Additionally, speak to your school about it. Where I live most schools collaborate with certain advanced highers, but popular subjects might be done in a couple different schools. You might be able to take one at another school nearby if that’s possible.
BlackLab
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Postcode lottery, especially schools in deprived or smaller areas with less choices and flexibility. There simply isn't enough teachers.

S6 AH options are very restricted in some schools our school only offers AH maths, physics, English, ModStud, art and music each appearing in one column only. No ah chemistry/biology, no ah geography/history, no ah languages etc etc etc. We don't get computing or engineering at even nat5 nevermind higher either.

Other AH choices can be done at other local schools but you need to get yourself to the other school across town for each period and if timetables or travel time overlap too bad.
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
See if you can do it at another school, my school was sending me to a different school for my AH bio, they were paying for my taxi there and back.
physicsanamoly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks everyone.

I've decided just to take AH maths + physics + Higher Eng. science, but I'm going to get in contact with my GT to see what they think.
I might have to redo H English, depending on what my English teacher marks me.
Sorry I forgot to specify my career aspiration -- I'm wanting to be a Astrobiologist. The reason for Eng. sci is because I wanted to do it in S4/5, but the slots were full so I couldn't do it.

Again thank you everyone
BlackLab
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What degree are you going to take prior to entering the field. I would focus on the entry requirements and subjects for that degree. Once you spend 4-5 years to get your degree noone will care what other highers/advance highers you did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (26)
13.83%
Virtual campus tours/open days (43)
22.87%
Live streaming events (17)
9.04%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.57%
A uni comparison tool (42)
22.34%
An in-person event when available (42)
22.34%