Is Computer Science at St Andrews better than Southampton? curriculum and reputation

Watch this thread
Namein123
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Rankings show that St Andrew's is 3rd in the UK for (complete university guide). How true is this? I do not see any math modules in St Andrews curriculum, is there no linear algebra in their curriculum?. By chance do you know which one has the better curriculum and reputation (ignoring location).
SAXCXDVF
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Namein123)
Rankings show that St Andrew's is 3rd in the UK for (complete university guide). How true is this? I do not see any math modules in St Andrews curriculum, is there no linear algebra in their curriculum?. By chance do you know which one has the better curriculum and reputation (ignoring location).
In the first two years you can take maths modules from the mathematics department but later on there is basically 0 maths. This is because the last two years of the St Andrews course are very practical and it has a reputation of putting out extremely fast programmers.

There isn't really a curriculum for any degree at St Andrews as you will have vague module requirements listed here and you can view all of the modules that the university offers here. The flexibility of degrees at St Andrews is a huge strength of most courses there, and you can take linear algebra in year 2 as it is a level 2000 module so that would is possible alongside lots of other maths modules during your first two years (1000 = first year, 2000 = second year etc..).

I think that the ranking is fairly accurate as the starting salary for St Andrews CS is, on average, £40,000 which is one of the best in the country. People would definitely argue Imperial is better for the course but St Andrews is holistically a much better university if you care about having a good time and meeting lots of interesting internationals (best student satisfaction for years).

I'd say that St Andrews has a better rep overall and within CS than Southampton, especially internationally.
Last edited by SAXCXDVF; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (276)
42.07%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.15%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
7.62%

Watched Threads