valentina m.k
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've been having trouble trying to tackle this question for English:

‘Something is rotten in the state of Denmark’ How does Shakespeare create an uncertain and disordered impression of the state and its inhabitants in the first five scenes of play?

If anyone has any ideas it would greatly appreciated x
takethyhand
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Do you know what Exam Board you are doing? If you look at the assessment objectives it would allow you to answer your questions to gain full marks.
I'm doing OCR - A01/A05 is the focus on this question.
Uncertainty:
- Shakespeare's incorporation of the Ghost/murder of Claudius - with religious background (Catholic + Protestant)
- you could include a bit of context if you require - Queen Elizabeth I had not married by this point when she was on the throne, nor was there a successor to take her place - there was uncertainty on the nations that would attack/instability of the kingdom
- Hamlet's uncertainty to act to kill Claudius - could be on the prayer scene
- Uncertainty to surveillance (link to Dorian Production with David Tennant)
- Polonius - who is a shrewd politician in Godwin's production
Disordered impression and its inhabitants:
- how Hamlet is not getting along with his mother and uncle - he despised the marriage calling it 'incestuous sheets' (he's not wrong who would want to marry their husband's brother and have a sexual affair with him)
- could mention the Ghost disrupting the events (or performs as a catalyst)
- no one trusts each other as Polonius has sent a spy to watch his son
- Hamlet pretending to feign madness to expose the hypocrisy + Claudius and frame him for the murder
- Claudius sending Hamlet to be killed
- Polonius using Ophelia as bait - family ties are sacrificed only for the King (women are generally objectified)

Hope this help
valentina m.k
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by takethyhand)
Do you know what Exam Board you are doing? If you look at the assessment objectives it would allow you to answer your questions to gain full marks.
I'm doing OCR - A01/A05 is the focus on this question.
Uncertainty:
- Shakespeare's incorporation of the Ghost/murder of Claudius - with religious background (Catholic + Protestant)
- you could include a bit of context if you require - Queen Elizabeth I had not married by this point when she was on the throne, nor was there a successor to take her place - there was uncertainty on the nations that would attack/instability of the kingdom
- Hamlet's uncertainty to act to kill Claudius - could be on the prayer scene
- Uncertainty to surveillance (link to Dorian Production with David Tennant)
- Polonius - who is a shrewd politician in Godwin's production
Disordered impression and its inhabitants:
- how Hamlet is not getting along with his mother and uncle - he despised the marriage calling it 'incestuous sheets' (he's not wrong who would want to marry their husband's brother and have a sexual affair with him)
- could mention the Ghost disrupting the events (or performs as a catalyst)
- no one trusts each other as Polonius has sent a spy to watch his son
- Hamlet pretending to feign madness to expose the hypocrisy + Claudius and frame him for the murder
- Claudius sending Hamlet to be killed
- Polonius using Ophelia as bait - family ties are sacrificed only for the King (women are generally objectified)

Hope this help
im doing AQA but this has been really helpful thank you x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (13)
31.71%
No (28)
68.29%

Watched Threads