oliviapig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi everyone,
I'm going to start learning to drive (once lockdown allows me too) and I'm not sure where to start. I know about lessons and theory and that I need to pass both.
Apps wise for the theory - do I just use the DVLA app to learn or should I be making flashcards to help with learning? Is it just a case of learning the questions and answers or should I be learning the Highway Code in detail? Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.
Theory + Lessons wise - should I take theory before or during driving lessons? Does it matter?

Any tips, comments or advice on anything to do with driving would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance
emzc22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi! I was learning to drive before the lessons were cancelled and I passed my theory on the first try so maybe I can help a little? I used the DVSA app and online practice tests to prepare for the theory test as well as reading the highway code - a lot of this is actually common sense, and the most important things to know from it are the road signs and the laws. Making sure you practice and run through some hazard perception clips is really the best way so I think you'll be fine with that Although, I will say that hazard perception is where a lot of people trip up, so practice and use your instincts and you'll be okay.
I didn't take my theory until I had already done several weeks of driving lessons but I would really recommend doing your theory first as it gives you a much better base understanding to build on in your practical lessons and you aren't going in quite as blind as you would be. I found it was a lot easier to understand what my instructor was asking me to do once I had completed my theory.
Apart from that I would just say make sure you go back over the things you're taught in practical lessons and make sure you practice anything the instructor tells you you're weak on. Hope this helps!
oliviapig
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzc22)
Hi! I was learning to drive before the lessons were cancelled and I passed my theory on the first try so maybe I can help a little? I used the DVSA app and online practice tests to prepare for the theory test as well as reading the highway code - a lot of this is actually common sense, and the most important things to know from it are the road signs and the laws. Making sure you practice and run through some hazard perception clips is really the best way so I think you'll be fine with that Although, I will say that hazard perception is where a lot of people trip up, so practice and use your instincts and you'll be okay.
I didn't take my theory until I had already done several weeks of driving lessons but I would really recommend doing your theory first as it gives you a much better base understanding to build on in your practical lessons and you aren't going in quite as blind as you would be. I found it was a lot easier to understand what my instructor was asking me to do once I had completed my theory.
Apart from that I would just say make sure you go back over the things you're taught in practical lessons and make sure you practice anything the instructor tells you you're weak on. Hope this helps!
thank you, that's super helpful. I will definitely be taking your advice on board.
inquisiterFAQ
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,
I have been driving for just under 2 years (passed first time) and I think everyone takes to it in different ways. Practical wise there is only so much you can learn before you get on the road. I have also been interesting in learning to drive so for me it was not to bad. I used to watch video etc. There is a guy on YouTube called Paynos who has video about driving lessons etc. Before you get in the car while not necessary it help to know what the pedals do etc sometimes this extra knowledge while small helps in those first lessons.

I also did not start my driving lessons until after I passed my theory that way when my instructor told me I was ready to book a test I could go straight into it and not have to wait until my theory was out the way. when it comes to theory there are a few ways to learn. As I said before I already had most the highway code down but I read which had extra info. (linked below) Time wise it probs took a weeks worth of reading spread over a month leading up to my theory. A few days before the test I downloaded the app to do mock tests which was helpful. My friend on the other hand use the app from day 1 as his preferred style and the final option which I do not recommend is doing mock test from day 1 until you have memorised all possible questions ( I don't joke my friend did this and it took him 6 months, he came out the test with 50/50 for the test but the time it took him wasn't worth it.)

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Honestly youtube has a lot for the practical side. Theory wise it really is not that complicated and if you have a decent instructor they will make sure you know everything.

Once you have a few lessons under the belt see if your parents will take you out (even if they only let you drive in an empty car park.

Ik i went very off topic but I hope this is somewhat helpful lol

https://rb.gy/umvm63
https://youtu.be/7jAwzVa9qUk
oliviapig
Rep:
?
(Original post by inquisiterFAQ)
Hi,
I have been driving for just under 2 years (passed first time) and I think everyone takes to it in different ways. Practical wise there is only so much you can learn before you get on the road. I have also been interesting in learning to drive so for me it was not to bad. I used to watch video etc. There is a guy on YouTube called Paynos who has video about driving lessons etc. Before you get in the car while not necessary it help to know what the pedals do etc sometimes this extra knowledge while small helps in those first lessons.

I also did not start my driving lessons until after I passed my theory that way when my instructor told me I was ready to book a test I could go straight into it and not have to wait until my theory was out the way. when it comes to theory there are a few ways to learn. As I said before I already had most the highway code down but I read which had extra info. (linked below) Time wise it probs took a weeks worth of reading spread over a month leading up to my theory. A few days before the test I downloaded the app to do mock tests which was helpful. My friend on the other hand use the app from day 1 as his preferred style and the final option which I do not recommend is doing mock test from day 1 until you have memorised all possible questions ( I don't joke my friend did this and it took him 6 months, he came out the test with 50/50 for the test but the time it took him wasn't worth it.)

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Honestly youtube has a lot for the practical side. Theory wise it really is not that complicated and if you have a decent instructor they will make sure you know everything.

Once you have a few lessons under the belt see if your parents will take you out (even if they only let you drive in an empty car park.

Ik i went very off topic but I hope this is somewhat helpful lol

https://rb.gy/umvm63
https://youtu.be/7jAwzVa9qUk
wow, that's really helpful. I also really want to drive mainly to have the independence so I definitely have to motivation and want to learn. Thank you very much - I will definitely start watching some YT videos to get me started and I will keep pestering my parents to take me out!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads